Consumer Reviews of BRADFORD-WHITE water heaters

Read more about BRADFORD-WHITE water heaters

Date created: 2012-01-13 Location: Aliso Viejo, CA

"Value for Reliability"
After our 25+ year old water heater started leaking, we replaced it with a 40-gallon 6-year gas Bradford White Defender water heater two months ago with satisfaction. The unit's Honeywell based controller for ignition and temperature control makes pilot lighting, system adjustment, and status monitoring (via LED) much easier than other controllers. From our experience of turning down the temperature prior to leaving on vacation and returning after three weeks and having at-temperature water within 30 minutes of restoring the setting indicates very good insulation and/or very good recovery. We haven't had to service the unit yet, but according to the installer, parts are readily available on same day, adding confidence to serviceability. We also like that Bradford White uses a magnesium anode rod instead of aluminum in their products, according to our research. One hesitation is that Bradford White uses a combo rod and doesn't have a place to install an extra rod to extend unit life beyond the guaranteed warranty period. What really made us sold on the Defender was its' FVIR design compared to other makes. Bradford White's system has a resettable or easily replaceable FVIR module, while their competitors use glass vials or have narrow air intake ports prone to dust buildup. With our experience and competitive research, I'd definitely recommend the Bradford White Defender water heater to others.

Date created: 2011-12-19 Location: Swedesboro NJ

"A heater with new technology"
I am remodeling my home and I purchased the Bradford White water heater about two months ago. I got the 40 gallon, 40,000 BTU unit. It has what they call "intelligent diagnostics" on it, which is an led light which emits a series of codes based on the message. I like that it has some newer technology in it. The unit itself is smaller than my old unit and it is rated at a much higher efficiency. I have a larger house with two small children and I haven't had occasion to run out of hot water. Another bonus in my mind was that it is maintenance free (no cleaning of the flame arrestor necessary). I am pleased with its efficiency and its build quality and haven't had any issues with it. The one small thing I didn't like about it was that it was a bit taller than my old one and didn't fit as well. I did some research before buying this unit and I have confidence that this heater will last for years to come. If I had to buy a heater again though, I would buy this one.

Date created: 2011-12-12 Location: Carpentersville, IL

"Great if you like a 5 minute shower, not even enough hot water to take a bath"
I live in a condo in the NW suburbs of Chicago. My place is entirely electric, including the water heater, which I thought would be great and saving on natural gas, until I discovered it fits inside of a kitchen cabinet. This is not good for taking a decently long shower. The water takes forever to warm back up again. So, running the dishwasher and then taking a shower are unrealistic unless you like cold showers. I have had to have the heating element replaced once in 7 years which I do not think is too bad. However, that is due to the mineralized content of the water in my town, otherwise it would last longer. I would likely buy the same brand again, but would have the plumbing redone in my place so that I could have a decent sized water heater, so I could take a bath. All in all, decent for a one bed + condo, with one person, but would not be ideal for 2 people living here.

Date created: 2011-05-12 Location: US CA LA firestone park

"A review of my water heater."
I bought this brand's water heater about 5 years back and i am very satisfied with this brand and model's efficiency and working.when was buying this brand i was bit confused but after experiencing it in my own home i found it as i expected.one and the only thing i dislike about it is it's color.a very limited range of colors are available for this brand but i still like to buy it once again if i need it for my new home.i never replaced or recovered it because it is working in its proper way,and yes definitely iam goin to recommend it to all of my friends and relatives because i experienced it and its heating and water capacity is very good.thnx for having my review about my own water heater.

Date created: 2011-05-06 Location: Minneapolis, MN

"The Unpredictable Water Heater"
We actually own two of this Bradford White water heater, both are gas units. One is used for in floor heat during the winter months, and the other takes care of all the other water needs. We have owned both of these for 6 years. One thing I do like about this water heater is that it seems we always have hot water for showers and bathing. We have had different issues with each and some of the same issues with both. We have had water leakage issues with both of the water heaters. We did have one major issue with the in floor heat water heater. Which has to be replaced. The water heater started on fire. This could have been a very serious issue if we would have had anything close enough to the water heater that could have caught on fire. There was soot all over the floor, up the side of the water heater and on the venting pipe outside. We are planning on buying new water heaters do to this issue. We will not buy this brand again. We are thinking of buying two tankless water heaters.

Date created: 2010-12-12 Name: KG
Location: vermont

"Gas atmospheric vent"
Our Bradford white gas heater died after 21yrs w/o a single service call or maintenance on our part. Of course we plan to replace with another BW gas heater

Date created: 2010-11-27 Name: J Iva
Location: Adrian, MI

"Get the electronic ignition even if it costs more"
I replaced a 20 year old State Brand Water Heater with a BW 50 gal. unit. I could not find State Brand locally, or I would have used that brand again. The BW unit with electronic ignition saves me $92 a year because there is no standing pilot wasting gas when it is not actually heating. If the unit lasts 7.5 years it will pay for itself. The gas savings will make it FREE. It heats water in a 4 unit rental serving 7 persons and no one has reported running out of hot water in 18 months. Great recovery!

Date created: 2010-10-18 Name: J Stine
Location: Fremont, NE

"Great water heaters"
Had to get a new water heater this year because our old one started leaking. We love this water heater. We never run out of hot water and it seem to give us hot water very quickly. Definitely a good investment!

Date created: 2010-09-30 Name: ralph mcgahagin
Location: austin, tx

"Energy Saver"
This 50 gallon water heater... heats water. in spite of the name, it does not seem to be that energy efficient. but it does seem to live up to it's assigned task. the only other remarkable thing about this water heater is the recall it went through. Manufacturer did offer to replace the part... but what a hassle... and for those do-it-yourselfer's out there... they would only reimburse for a licensed plumber to do the repair.

Date created: 2010-09-18 Name: Sarah Kimmel
Location: Lehi, UT

"Safegaurd"
We very rarely run out of hot water, and it's always piping hot. We love our hot water heater!