Consumer Reviews of AO Smith water heaters

Read more about AO Smith water heaters

Date created: 2011-11-17 Location: Brooksville, fl

"Old Boilers can be extremely testy"
The Boiler has been in this house for almost 30 years without being replaced, we didn't know until now. The positives are it has a large capacity; It must be a good company, if it's lasted this long, regardless of condition. What I dislike about it is someone broke the settings and it is dangerously Hot, and is not able to be turned down to where it should be. The pressure that builds up is dangerous and it could blow sky high at any moment, from what we were told. I know it has to be replaced very soon, within the month. It cannot be repaired or isn't worth it because it is rusty and full of sediment. I would definitely by the same brand, in a newer version, because they are reliable. I do know that a newer model would save us a lot of money, since it would be more efficient in energy saving. That being said, when we replace it, chances are we will just get a newer, revamped model of the same water heater that is already there.

Date created: 2011-06-20 Name: fred weaver
Location: hanover pa 17331

"Home owner"
Will not buy there product again the weld at top of 80 gal hot water heater was not done right from factory started to leak all over basement fred weaver 717-4656100

Date created: 2011-05-27 Location: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

"Great Water Heater For A House Of Four"
Our current water heater was installed about a year ago, as our last one sounded like it was about to blow. We live in an area with very hard water, so our water heaters last about 8 years max, even with a water softener. This new water heater heats the water quickly and barely makes a sound while it's filling or heating. The only thing I've noticed, since we bought it, is our gas bill has gone up quite a bit. Now, before I blame this on the water heater, I must say that it could be due to the fact that our old water heater wasn't heating our water beyond luke warm temperatures. This water heater makes the water really hot, so we've turned the thermostat down. It may be that we need to turn it down even further, to help lower the cost of gas. Plus, the cost of natural gas has gone up anyway, so it could be unrelated. Only time will tell. I would recommend this brand, as it heats water quickly and provides enough hot water for a family of four. We can get in 2-3 showers, or 2 showers with the dishwasher going at the same time, without having to wait for the water heater to fill and re-heat the water. Nobody has experienced a cold shower yet. So far, I am happy with this water heater, and as long as it holds out at least 8 years or longer, I would buy it again.

Date created: 2011-05-06 Location: Provo, UT

"The Pilot Switch needed replacement"
I have been taking comfort of this water heater for over 8 months now. And my experience with it has been mixed. The water heater's volume is small which means the hot water finished soon. We also have had a lot of problems with pilot light switching off and had to manually fix it at least three times a day to get hot water. The Pilot light would work just fine for some days and would stop working out of no where. Finally, after much trouble, I asked the Landlord to fix. Apparently, the pilot light was repaired, and it has been working fine since then. The only thing I like about it is that it heats the water in a reasonable time. I live with 3 other roommates and all of us would take showers every morning. Each one of us would spend a long time in the shower(well, until the hot water finishes). We only had to wait for less than 20 minutes to get real hot water again.

Date created: 2010-09-30 Name: Rick Stafford
Location: Bainbridge ohio 45612

"Ever kleen brand?"
Has given us good service. Its electric so it uses of lot of electricty. 10 years old.

Date created: 2010-09-28 Name: Jerry
Location: Atlanta Ga

"Functions as advertised"
My only grip if you will is that exhaust flang which pops into slots also pops out easily. Sheet metal screws did not fit well. Install crimped screw threaded insert on assembly line already. Make the hot and cold bungs out of brass.

Date created: 2010-09-24 Name: Bruce Kalas
Location: Harwood Heights, Illinois

"HOME OWNER"
When my in law suggested this unit,I was skeptical. But after he installed it,I was impressed with it.

Date created: 2010-09-22 Name: George
Location: NY

"Mr"
Efficient and reliable but occasionally seems to get confused about how hot the water should be and how much of it it can deliver. This seems to happen occasionally when hot water hasn't been used in the house for a while, for example: first thing in the morning or after work.

Date created: 2010-09-17 Name: Laura Obregon
Location: Fort Worth, TX

"Tankless would be grand."
The unit is 13 years old and rusting with those little pops and sounds that tell me it needs flushing again. I really want a tankless system like I had in England for instant hot water and no storage issues.

Date created: 2010-09-17 Name: Cynthia Deadmon
Location: Kannpolis nc

"I RUN OUT OF HOT WATER BEFORE MY SHOWER IS OVER"
I love my long showers and my long hot baths but the water goes cold before I am done..