Consumer Reviews of AO Smith water heaters

Read more about AO Smith water heaters

Date created: 2014-08-30 Name: ARIF
Location: chennai, india

"Dangerous Water Heater (Electric Shock)"
We bought the AO Smith 6 liter residential model. After 3 months we felt electric current in the water. Also complained about the issue to customer care. No people came. Since summer started we haven't used it for six months. When we use it now a heavy current is passing through the hot water. Just a one second escape from it. Dear people please don't buy it to save your family.

Date created: 2014-07-08 Name: Mac Rick
Location: El Paso, TX

"18 years and still strong"
Moved into our home 11 years ago and never had a problem with our 40 gallon AO Smith water heater. The built date is 1994 and installed on Oct 1996. Just recently I noticed a smell water leak by the burner access door so I'm looking into replacing it with another AO Smith. I know I'm taking a risk since my heater is almost 20 years old and newer ones may not live up to this one but I'll take my chances.

Date created: 2014-05-10 Name: S. Brady
Location: Silverado, Ca

"Rusty Water"
I have had an AO Smith water heater for two and one half years. After less than 2 years my water started showing signs of brown and rusty water. For over six months I have been talking with tech support they refuse any responsibility. They tell me it is the anode rod and it the wrong one for my "ph" area who knew? They tell me this is not under the warranty they have given me nothing but the run around. I have spoken with a plumber (not the installer) and he tells me they are just giving me false excuses. My water is so bad now I have no choice but to repair or replace, at my expense, you can bet my next choice will not be a o Smith. .

Date created: 2013-11-27 Name: David Miteff
Location: Lafayette In

"Number 1212A003328"
True it has a 6-year warranty is six years but if it is defective, you have to pay a company that services AO Smith for it to be good and then you have to pay for labor again. When I wrote the company about it, I heard nothing back. Like, they have my money so they don't care.

Date created: 2013-05-12 Name: time1865
Location: Hamilton, NJ

"19 Years"
Installed the unit in June of 1994 and it just started leaking at the drain valve because the water softener serviceman thought he would drain some water out. He thought he was helping. So the unit would probably still be going fine.

Date created: 2013-02-01 Name: general manager
Location: Rochester NY

"Ao smith does not stand behind product"
Have 216 of these installed in new facility in 2008, over 250 instances of pilot light going out. Have worn out two vacuum attachments ao smith supplied so we could clean the flame arrestors. Thousands of $ on repairs, hours of preventative maintenance

Date created: 2013-01-04 Name: R Kay
Location: Michigan

"COLD hotwater Heater From HELL"
How unsatisfied can I make this? Somehow •Very Unsatisfied is not far enough down on the list. Professionally installed in 2004 this pos hw heater has broken down 10 times in 9 years. No Joke. It Especially loved to break on the holidays for an extra service charge. 3rd time to replace the electronic controls at $750 is too much for me. I'm done, getting a new one installed tomorrow. I Will Never Buy Anything from AO Smith ever in my life. When it's sitting on the curb awaiting it's final demise I will have a few whacks at it with my sledge hammer to help it in the grave.

Date created: 2013-01-02 Name: Lee Dekker
Location: Philadelphia, Pa.

"STAY AWAY!!! Junk Warning!!!!!!"
I am amazed at the lack of quality of this water heater. Less than 4 years of mediocre service before it leaked all over my basement. But even more troubling than the lousy product is the refusal to stand behind their products. Evidently they allow their distributors to refuse to honor the warranty. I was told over the phone that the distributor can refuse to honor their warranties at their whim. I was then made to feel that it was my fault for the failure of the product and the refusal to honor the warranty. This may explain why only 2 supply houses in a city the size of Philadelphia even carry this junk. Buyer beware! I cannot be more emphatic. Stay away from A.O.smith!

Date created: 2012-08-25 Name: T. Peters
Location: Rochester Minnesota

"Absolutely Terrible Water Heaters"
I have only owned this unit for a few years and have had several repairs to the pilot light...and it's now out of warranty. It's a total engineering failure. do not buy an A. O. Smith Brand water heater. They do not stand behind their product and their designs (air filter inches from the floor and continually clogs with dust...dah!) apparently go through no r & D.

Date created: 2012-01-24 Location: Petaluma, CA

"A review of the A.O. Smith Water Heater"
I've owned this water heater for going on a year now. This model heats the water very quickly and allows for a good amount of heated water. I don't have anything in particular that I dislike about it. I think next time I'll buy a larger water heater. I have yet to repair or replace it. I would probably buy the same brand again seeing as I've had no issues with it. I'm not sure if I would recommend it or not. It's a rather expensive item to recommend and I would feel bad if a friend or family member had a completely different experience with this model.