Consumer Reviews of AO Smith water heaters

Read more about AO Smith water heaters

Date created: 2013-01-04 Name: R Kay
Location: Michigan

"COLD hotwater Heater From HELL"
How unsatisfied can I make this? Somehow •Very Unsatisfied is not far enough down on the list. Professionally installed in 2004 this pos hw heater has broken down 10 times in 9 years. No Joke. It Especially loved to break on the holidays for an extra service charge. 3rd time to replace the electronic controls at $750 is too much for me. I'm done, getting a new one installed tomorrow. I Will Never Buy Anything from AO Smith ever in my life. When it's sitting on the curb awaiting it's final demise I will have a few whacks at it with my sledge hammer to help it in the grave.

Date created: 2013-01-02 Name: Lee Dekker
Location: Philadelphia, Pa.

"STAY AWAY!!! Junk Warning!!!!!!"
I am amazed at the lack of quality of this water heater. Less than 4 years of mediocre service before it leaked all over my basement. But even more troubling than the lousy product is the refusal to stand behind their products. Evidently they allow their distributors to refuse to honor the warranty. I was told over the phone that the distributor can refuse to honor their warranties at their whim. I was then made to feel that it was my fault for the failure of the product and the refusal to honor the warranty. This may explain why only 2 supply houses in a city the size of Philadelphia even carry this junk. Buyer beware! I cannot be more emphatic. Stay away from A.O.smith!

Date created: 2012-08-25 Name: T. Peters
Location: Rochester Minnesota

"Absolutely Terrible Water Heaters"
I have only owned this unit for a few years and have had several repairs to the pilot light...and it's now out of warranty. It's a total engineering failure. do not buy an A. O. Smith Brand water heater. They do not stand behind their product and their designs (air filter inches from the floor and continually clogs with dust...dah!) apparently go through no r & D.

Date created: 2012-01-24 Location: Petaluma, CA

"A review of the A.O. Smith Water Heater"
I've owned this water heater for going on a year now. This model heats the water very quickly and allows for a good amount of heated water. I don't have anything in particular that I dislike about it. I think next time I'll buy a larger water heater. I have yet to repair or replace it. I would probably buy the same brand again seeing as I've had no issues with it. I'm not sure if I would recommend it or not. It's a rather expensive item to recommend and I would feel bad if a friend or family member had a completely different experience with this model.

Date created: 2011-12-09 Location: Chicago, IL

"A good, durable beast of a heater"
We have owned our A.O. Smith water heater for four years, as it was installed during our home remodel/expansion. Our plumber recommended this water heater to us over a tankless system. In the time we have owned it, we have never had any problems with it. The heater has a 74 gallon capacity, and we have never run out of hot water - even when there were 11 people taking showers back-to-back (in two different showers). This large beast sits quietly (for the most part) in our basement. It is a large tank (more than 24 inches in diameter), but it must be well insulated because the outside surface is not at all warm to the touch. The noise its gas burners make is minimal and rarely heard. I do notice it heating up water even when no hot water is being used in the house, but that heating period only lasts a minute or two. I thing I wish were better is the temperature controller. Since the device it electronic, I thought it could give an actual temperature instead of just having hotter and colder arrows. In short, this water heater has served us well. I would recommend it.

Date created: 2011-11-17 Location: Brooksville, fl

"Old Boilers can be extremely testy"
The Boiler has been in this house for almost 30 years without being replaced, we didn't know until now. The positives are it has a large capacity; It must be a good company, if it's lasted this long, regardless of condition. What I dislike about it is someone broke the settings and it is dangerously Hot, and is not able to be turned down to where it should be. The pressure that builds up is dangerous and it could blow sky high at any moment, from what we were told. I know it has to be replaced very soon, within the month. It cannot be repaired or isn't worth it because it is rusty and full of sediment. I would definitely by the same brand, in a newer version, because they are reliable. I do know that a newer model would save us a lot of money, since it would be more efficient in energy saving. That being said, when we replace it, chances are we will just get a newer, revamped model of the same water heater that is already there.

Date created: 2011-06-20 Name: fred weaver
Location: hanover pa 17331

"Home owner"
Will not buy there product again the weld at top of 80 gal hot water heater was not done right from factory started to leak all over basement fred weaver 717-4656100

Date created: 2011-05-27 Location: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

"Great Water Heater For A House Of Four"
Our current water heater was installed about a year ago, as our last one sounded like it was about to blow. We live in an area with very hard water, so our water heaters last about 8 years max, even with a water softener. This new water heater heats the water quickly and barely makes a sound while it's filling or heating. The only thing I've noticed, since we bought it, is our gas bill has gone up quite a bit. Now, before I blame this on the water heater, I must say that it could be due to the fact that our old water heater wasn't heating our water beyond luke warm temperatures. This water heater makes the water really hot, so we've turned the thermostat down. It may be that we need to turn it down even further, to help lower the cost of gas. Plus, the cost of natural gas has gone up anyway, so it could be unrelated. Only time will tell. I would recommend this brand, as it heats water quickly and provides enough hot water for a family of four. We can get in 2-3 showers, or 2 showers with the dishwasher going at the same time, without having to wait for the water heater to fill and re-heat the water. Nobody has experienced a cold shower yet. So far, I am happy with this water heater, and as long as it holds out at least 8 years or longer, I would buy it again.

Date created: 2011-05-06 Location: Provo, UT

"The Pilot Switch needed replacement"
I have been taking comfort of this water heater for over 8 months now. And my experience with it has been mixed. The water heater's volume is small which means the hot water finished soon. We also have had a lot of problems with pilot light switching off and had to manually fix it at least three times a day to get hot water. The Pilot light would work just fine for some days and would stop working out of no where. Finally, after much trouble, I asked the Landlord to fix. Apparently, the pilot light was repaired, and it has been working fine since then. The only thing I like about it is that it heats the water in a reasonable time. I live with 3 other roommates and all of us would take showers every morning. Each one of us would spend a long time in the shower(well, until the hot water finishes). We only had to wait for less than 20 minutes to get real hot water again.

Date created: 2010-09-30 Name: Rick Stafford
Location: Bainbridge ohio 45612

"Ever kleen brand?"
Has given us good service. Its electric so it uses of lot of electricty. 10 years old.