Consumer Reviews of AO Smith water heaters

Read more about AO Smith water heaters

Date created: 2015-07-14 Name: DHARMENDER GOEL
Location: East Punjabi Bagh, New Delhi

"Worthless product - irresponsible customer service"
I purchased 7 water Geysers in July 2011. They are giving trouble with a filthy smell while heating the water. Its sensors are of very bad quality. It is affecting our daily routine. Company customer care is the worst. Even after complaining many times, no response is received from the customer care. On the website no proper e-mail ID for the complaint is mentioned. Its authorized dealers are also very careless. They also assumed it was poor maintenance. Ultimately this is a serious manufacturer issue in my opinion. A.O. Smith is producing poor quality products that do not last. A.O. Smith does not stand behind their products. Even worse is their customer service. When an executive visited my house to resolve a complaint, he came without preparation. He did not have the necessary parts available for replacement, and then he asked us to wait for some days so that he could bring the part needed for repair. Every time I am getting a message update by the company on my registered mobile number that “the request is on hold, customer requests for reappointment”. Do you think the hold is on the customer's end when the part is not available with the company? What a shame! I don’t consider this company as reliable when they can’t even resolve minor problems with their product. I am feeling robbed with this poor performing product, terribly irresponsible customer service, and poorly trained staff. I purchased the product in 2011 since then I've had numerous problems with the water heaters. Dealing with A.O. Smith customer service was incredibly frustrating and eventually became ridiculous. As a matter of fact this is the first negative review I have ever written on any products. I have decided to write a review due to the raised level of frustration I reached and in hopes of saving other consumers from buying this worthless product.

Date created: 2015-07-11 Name: anouar alaoui

"A.O. Smith, very poor quality"
I bought a A.O Smith water heater and after 1 year the water heater stopped working. I called their service people and I talked to them about it. They told me that I have to call a technician and pay for it myself instead sending me the part I need. After I told them the code I got from the unit, they refused to send me the part. Very poor customer service and I will never ever buy an A.O. Smith.

Date created: 2015-04-20 Name: John
Location: Iowa City, IA

"4 in 10 years"
We are in need of replacing our 4th A.O. Smith water heater in 10 years. The side of the tank exploded and flooded my gym. The unit was installed 3 years ago and they do not want to cover the item. I will not be getting another unit from my friends at A.O. Smith. However, they will be getting something from me - a small claims court notification for replacing my equipment. I may win / may lose but I can promise the time they waste will be worth the $150 it costs me to file it. Nice job A.O. Smith - keeping customers happy every 3 years!

Date created: 2015-04-10 Location: Columbus OH

"AO Smith Water Heater Review"
I bought my A.O. Smith DEL - 20 gallon water heater about 6 months ago, I paid around 800 dollars for it, I had it delivered to my home from a local plumbing store. The Landlord told me I could pick it out and they would just take it off my rent. I love this water heater. I live alone so I don't really use that much hot water, especially since I don't have a dish washer or clothes washer. I've found it's given me plenty of hot water. I haven't had to replace it or any parts yet, hopefully that will continue. I would most certainly purchase the same brand and model again, and I would recommend it to a friend so long as they don't use a lot of water for extra things like clothes washing or dish washers or anything that requires a lot of hot water.

Date created: 2015-04-03 Location: Lincoln, NE

"Efficient Water Heater Meets All Our Hot Water Needs"
We have a household with four adults and with our previous water heater on occasion we ran out of hot water. A few months ago we purchased (with a recommendation of our plumber) the A O Smith 40 gallon high efficiency water heater. We now always have hot water when needed. It also has a six year limited warranty. It is a gas heater and the efficiency rating has not as of yet saved us money on our gas bill. I would recommend this water heater due to the fact that you will always have hot water when you need hot water!

Date created: 2015-02-24 Name: RN
Location: Indiana

"Richmond"
I purchased my water heater when I heard that there was a new mandate coming that requires customers to purchase the "more efficient" water heater. My old water heater was also from 1991 so I figured it was a good time to get a new one. I have had it for about 2 months and now I regret purchasing a new one because the new one is causing an egg odor if I don't flush it out every month. I have a well and I do have a water softener and a water filter but that doesn't seem to be helping. I'm sure there is more to the story about why this is happening but it did not happen until I got the new softener. I would consider getting a different water heater before you settle for a Richmond brand.

Date created: 2014-10-25 Name: Joe Pampinella
Location: Brooklyn, NY

"Get 20 years out of A.O. Smith hot water tank"
After living in my home for 50 years and replacing 6 A.O. Smith hot water tanks, I found the key to getting up to 15 years or more of clean, sparkling water. The A.O. Smith 60 gallon tank was installed in 1992 and still running clean with the original bill taped to the tank. Rust was the main cause until I personally installed a filter to trap meta, the cause of rust in most hot water tanks. The filter should be an ample sized hook up on the cold input. Use a see through screw-type filter that you can clean, such as a washable stone filter sold at plumbing supply outlets, Home Depot, etc. It has to be cleaned often.

Date created: 2014-09-23 Name: J Hart
Location: Bethesda, MD

"AO Smith water heater has rusty water"
I purchased an A.O. Smith electric 50-gallon water heater 2 years ago. After one year I had lots of rusty water that stained my bath tubs, showers, and fixtures and my laundry. I had the tank drained, but that did not fix the problem. I was glad to find the review in this list that explained what the problem is. I have had A.O. Smith in the past and loved them - am sad they chose to cheapen their products. I just don't know what to buy now and many of the heater reviews have big problems.

Date created: 2014-08-30 Name: George DeLange
Location: Yarnell, AZ

"JUNK!"
You are lucky to get hot water for more than 3 minutes. Then it is cold. Installed by Fairway Homes West in a new home. Don't buy from either company.

Date created: 2014-08-30 Name: ARIF
Location: chennai, india

"Dangerous Water Heater (Electric Shock)"
We bought the AO Smith 6 liter residential model. After 3 months we felt electric current in the water. Also complained about the issue to customer care. No people came. Since summer started we haven't used it for six months. When we use it now a heavy current is passing through the hot water. Just a one second escape from it. Dear people please don't buy it to save your family.