Consumer Reviews of AO Smith water heaters

Read more about AO Smith water heaters

Date created: 2015-02-24 Name: RN
Location: Indiana

"Richmond"
I purchased my water heater when I heard that there was a new mandate coming that requires customers to purchase the "more efficient" water heater. My old water heater was also from 1991 so I figured it was a good time to get a new one. I have had it for about 2 months and now I regret purchasing a new one because the new one is causing an egg odor if I don't flush it out every month. I have a well and I do have a water softener and a water filter but that doesn't seem to be helping. I'm sure there is more to the story about why this is happening but it did not happen until I got the new softener. I would consider getting a different water heater before you settle for a Richmond brand.

Date created: 2014-10-25 Name: Joe Pampinella
Location: Brooklyn, NY

"Get 20 years out of A.O. Smith hot water tank"
After living in my home for 50 years and replacing 6 A.O. Smith hot water tanks, I found the key to getting up to 15 years or more of clean, sparkling water. The A.O. Smith 60 gallon tank was installed in 1992 and still running clean with the original bill taped to the tank. Rust was the main cause until I personally installed a filter to trap meta, the cause of rust in most hot water tanks. The filter should be an ample sized hook up on the cold input. Use a see through screw-type filter that you can clean, such as a washable stone filter sold at plumbing supply outlets, Home Depot, etc. It has to be cleaned often.

Date created: 2014-09-23 Name: J Hart
Location: Bethesda, MD

"AO Smith water heater has rusty water"
I purchased an A.O. Smith electric 50-gallon water heater 2 years ago. After one year I had lots of rusty water that stained my bath tubs, showers, and fixtures and my laundry. I had the tank drained, but that did not fix the problem. I was glad to find the review in this list that explained what the problem is. I have had A.O. Smith in the past and loved them - am sad they chose to cheapen their products. I just don't know what to buy now and many of the heater reviews have big problems.

Date created: 2014-08-30 Name: George DeLange
Location: Yarnell, AZ

"JUNK!"
You are lucky to get hot water for more than 3 minutes. Then it is cold. Installed by Fairway Homes West in a new home. Don't buy from either company.

Date created: 2014-08-30 Name: ARIF
Location: chennai, india

"Dangerous Water Heater (Electric Shock)"
We bought the AO Smith 6 liter residential model. After 3 months we felt electric current in the water. Also complained about the issue to customer care. No people came. Since summer started we haven't used it for six months. When we use it now a heavy current is passing through the hot water. Just a one second escape from it. Dear people please don't buy it to save your family.

Date created: 2014-07-08 Name: Mac Rick
Location: El Paso, TX

"18 years and still strong"
Moved into our home 11 years ago and never had a problem with our 40 gallon AO Smith water heater. The built date is 1994 and installed on Oct 1996. Just recently I noticed a smell water leak by the burner access door so I'm looking into replacing it with another AO Smith. I know I'm taking a risk since my heater is almost 20 years old and newer ones may not live up to this one but I'll take my chances.

Date created: 2014-05-10 Name: S. Brady
Location: Silverado, Ca

"Rusty Water"
I have had an AO Smith water heater for two and one half years. After less than 2 years my water started showing signs of brown and rusty water. For over six months I have been talking with tech support they refuse any responsibility. They tell me it is the anode rod and it the wrong one for my "ph" area who knew? They tell me this is not under the warranty they have given me nothing but the run around. I have spoken with a plumber (not the installer) and he tells me they are just giving me false excuses. My water is so bad now I have no choice but to repair or replace, at my expense, you can bet my next choice will not be a o Smith. .

Date created: 2013-11-27 Name: David Miteff
Location: Lafayette In

"Number 1212A003328"
True it has a 6-year warranty is six years but if it is defective, you have to pay a company that services AO Smith for it to be good and then you have to pay for labor again. When I wrote the company about it, I heard nothing back. Like, they have my money so they don't care.

Date created: 2013-05-12 Name: time1865
Location: Hamilton, NJ

"19 Years"
Installed the unit in June of 1994 and it just started leaking at the drain valve because the water softener serviceman thought he would drain some water out. He thought he was helping. So the unit would probably still be going fine.

Date created: 2013-02-01 Name: general manager
Location: Rochester NY

"Ao smith does not stand behind product"
Have 216 of these installed in new facility in 2008, over 250 instances of pilot light going out. Have worn out two vacuum attachments ao smith supplied so we could clean the flame arrestors. Thousands of $ on repairs, hours of preventative maintenance