Consumer Reviews of AO Smith water heaters

Read more about AO Smith water heaters

Date created: 2017-07-26 Name: T. Crawford B
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Stay away"
I live in a house that was built new less than ten years ago that has two water heaters. In 2012 I had to have two AO Smith units replaced that were one month inside of warranty. One of the replacements just went bad, so I will be on my 5th water heater in less than ten years. I specifically told the plumber to install something anything else. Hope my Rheem unit will be better

Date created: 2017-06-26 Name: Dean Ulmer

"Will not honor warranty if installed in Bathroom! Don't buy!"
Tank leaked after 5 years into a 6 years warranty. A.O. Smith would not honor warranty because installed in a bathroom! Don't buy!
Date created: 2017-04-24 Name: john chamorro
Location: Livermore, CA

"Wasted Money"
I had my water heater replaced with the 40 gallon GCR. It's a propane fired unit. Right off we noticed this thing sounds like a jet plane taking off. It runs and runs and runs. If you run 2 gallons of hot water it kicks on and takes 6-7 minutes to recover. Tech replaced the thermo and shortened the dip tube with no improvement. His comment was that it was normal. This thing is using over 10 gallons of propane a week. Normal??
Date created: 2016-12-02 Name: Curtis

"POS water heater"
We've had this unit 3 years with now the 3rd burner replacement at $300+, really tired of repairing new equipment, failure of american companies, worst manufacturers, junk.
Date created: 2016-06-02 Name: Lily
Location: Gainesville, FL

"Going on 22 years"
I own a 30-gallon short "lowboy" electric water heater installed in 1994 which is still working well even after 22 years! I haven't done any maintenance on the water heater (I.E. no draining the tank annually like good homeowners are doing). The only reason I'm starting to look at new water heaters is because of the age of the water heater and wanting to prevent any damage from water when the unit finally fails. Reading the reviews here it seems like there are mixed ratings. I did notice that many of the bad reviews were regarding the gas versions.
Date created: 2016-06-02 Name: Lewis Dennis
Location: San Diego, CA

"Two failures of this model back to back."
Both water heaters failed before warranty was up. The first one failed at 3 months, the other failed after 5 years. Junk!
Date created: 2016-05-20 Location: Clearwater, FL

"The AO Smith FCG-75 Does Its Job, and It Does It Well"
I had this unit installed nearly three years ago. Installation was relatively easy, especially for the guys that did it for me! There's a nook in my garage, and it fits perfectly into it. Of course the model wasn't designed specifically for me in mind, but its size suited me well. It's my first experience with buying a new water heater, but I'm stunned with how little it costs to run each month and how quickly it heats up my shower water and sink water. It runs much more efficiently than the clunky one that was installed when I moved in. It seems to heat my water twice as quickly, too. I used to have to wait to get into the shower for the hotter water to kick in -- not anymore. There's not much to dislike about water heaters, particularly this one. It does its job without me worrying about it; after it was installed, it has yet to give me any problems. I will consistently say: if I ever need a new one, for some strange reason, I'll always pick this one.
Date created: 2016-04-03 Name: Peterr
Location: New Jersey

"AO Smith"
Pilot goes off many times after being installed by PSEG. It goes off every 2 months or so. It's 3 years almost and now it does not light the pilot, no matter what. Never, never buy AO Smith.
Date created: 2016-03-28 Name: L. Davis
Location: Northern Arizona

"Garbage, garbage, garbage"
I installed 4 of their 199,000 BTU tankless units. After 2 months 3 of them leaked and destroyed all working components. I replaced them with 3 more. Same thing, after 2 months leaks from above took out all working components. They will not honor their warranty! I will never again purchase anything from A.O.Smith!
Date created: 2016-03-18 Name: Curtis Alderete
Location: Vacaville, CA

"Using the manufacture's warranty is not easy"
I bought the house brand new in 2011. My water heater was built the same year. My water heater went out about in 2013. I called the customer service number you get with the warranty. After some discussion they sent me the part but charged me $30 because it had been a year since the unit was manufactured. I paid the $30 to get it overnight. I had the part installed. Then in January I was having more problems with the unit. I had a plumber come back out to the house and diagnose the problem again. It was the burner unit & gas nozzle. The plumber said call and order the parts and when they arrive call me again and I will come back out and install them. So I called AO Smith to order the parts. They said the plumber needs to call us so we can ensure he made the right diagnosis. The plumber that initially looked at it quit and moved to a different job. So I had to contact another plumber. He called AO Smith after making the very same diagnosis. They said they told him to go to a local parts distributor and pick up the part. The distributor did not have the part. He called them back and they said that unless he was willing to pay up front that I would have to call. So I called and they said you have to pay a $30 fee for shipping of the part. Oh, by the way, they have to manufacture the part so it will be 72 hours before it is ready. At this point my family has been without hot water for 7 days. I paid and ordered the part because no matter what I said they would not budge on their $30 shipping fee. This is not good customer service. If you want to save money by having a plumber provide you with his assessment and how he made his diagnosis of the problem then you should allow them to order the part and not pay. If you want the consumer to pay for the shipping of the part then you need to make it easy for them. You can't have it both ways. Everything works in your favor and if the customer is without hot water for a period of time, then that is just too bad. There is nothing that can be done! Wow, what a philosophy. AO Smith representatives would say that is not our philosophy. It is their practice and policy. So it is their philosophy! You see if AO Smith had simply shipped the part to me when I contacted them it in January I would not have gone without hot water. But for their own protocol I am without hot water. They ensured they did not send a part that was not needed but I had to suffer. This is the second problem I had with this water heater and probably won't be the last. I will never buy a water heater from AO Smith again. If I buy another house and the water heater is manufactured by AO Smith I will ask for an upgrade. If they cannot do so I will find another house. The product in this case was horrible and the customer service was even worse. To make maters worse. I contacted the Consumer Relations Department. Guess what, they were not available. I called at 3:00 Pacific time so perhaps the time zone made a difference but they should at least respond to customers who want to make a complaint or resolve a problem using rational business hours. People have jobs and cannot take all kinds of time off of work to deal with manufacture defects as I have been. They wont budge an inch and give anything to make it right!