Consumer Reviews of AO Smith water heaters

Read more about AO Smith water heaters

Date created: 2017-09-12 Name: M

"Don't buy"
Me and my family just bought brand new and installed it, it never once heated up the water and when we called the company about getting it replaced, they said the warranty is no good. We just bought it brand new not even 1 hour after calling! They will do loops about a replacement part or sending a plumber on a brand new tank that was just bought. They don't honor anything nor is this piece shit worth ant penny to spend. Do not buy ao smith.

Date created: 2017-07-26 Name: T. Crawford B
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Stay away"
I live in a house that was built new less than ten years ago that has two water heaters. In 2012 I had to have two AO Smith units replaced that were one month inside of warranty. One of the replacements just went bad, so I will be on my 5th water heater in less than ten years. I specifically told the plumber to install something anything else. Hope my Rheem unit will be better

Date created: 2017-06-26 Name: Dean Ulmer

"Will not honor warranty if installed in Bathroom! Don't buy!"
Tank leaked after 5 years into a 6 years warranty. A.O. Smith would not honor warranty because installed in a bathroom! Don't buy!

Date created: 2017-04-24 Name: john chamorro
Location: Livermore, CA

"Wasted Money"
I had my water heater replaced with the 40 gallon GCR. It's a propane fired unit. Right off we noticed this thing sounds like a jet plane taking off. It runs and runs and runs. If you run 2 gallons of hot water it kicks on and takes 6-7 minutes to recover. Tech replaced the thermo and shortened the dip tube with no improvement. His comment was that it was normal. This thing is using over 10 gallons of propane a week. Normal??

Date created: 2016-12-02 Name: Curtis

"POS water heater"
We've had this unit 3 years with now the 3rd burner replacement at $300+, really tired of repairing new equipment, failure of american companies, worst manufacturers, junk.

Date created: 2016-06-02 Name: Lily
Location: Gainesville, FL

"Going on 22 years"
I own a 30-gallon short "lowboy" electric water heater installed in 1994 which is still working well even after 22 years! I haven't done any maintenance on the water heater (I.E. no draining the tank annually like good homeowners are doing). The only reason I'm starting to look at new water heaters is because of the age of the water heater and wanting to prevent any damage from water when the unit finally fails. Reading the reviews here it seems like there are mixed ratings. I did notice that many of the bad reviews were regarding the gas versions.

Date created: 2016-06-02 Name: Lewis Dennis
Location: San Diego, CA

"Two failures of this model back to back."
Both water heaters failed before warranty was up. The first one failed at 3 months, the other failed after 5 years. Junk!

Date created: 2016-05-20 Location: Clearwater, FL

"The AO Smith FCG-75 Does Its Job, and It Does It Well"
I had this unit installed nearly three years ago. Installation was relatively easy, especially for the guys that did it for me! There's a nook in my garage, and it fits perfectly into it. Of course the model wasn't designed specifically for me in mind, but its size suited me well. It's my first experience with buying a new water heater, but I'm stunned with how little it costs to run each month and how quickly it heats up my shower water and sink water. It runs much more efficiently than the clunky one that was installed when I moved in. It seems to heat my water twice as quickly, too. I used to have to wait to get into the shower for the hotter water to kick in -- not anymore. There's not much to dislike about water heaters, particularly this one. It does its job without me worrying about it; after it was installed, it has yet to give me any problems. I will consistently say: if I ever need a new one, for some strange reason, I'll always pick this one.

Date created: 2016-04-03 Name: Peterr
Location: New Jersey

"AO Smith"
Pilot goes off many times after being installed by PSEG. It goes off every 2 months or so. It's 3 years almost and now it does not light the pilot, no matter what. Never, never buy AO Smith.

Date created: 2016-03-28 Name: L. Davis
Location: Northern Arizona

"Garbage, garbage, garbage"
I installed 4 of their 199,000 BTU tankless units. After 2 months 3 of them leaked and destroyed all working components. I replaced them with 3 more. Same thing, after 2 months leaks from above took out all working components. They will not honor their warranty! I will never again purchase anything from A.O.Smith!