Consumer Reviews of AO Smith water heaters

Read more about AO Smith water heaters

Date created: 2018-02-01 Name: Ed D'Aurora
Location: Steubenville, OH

"Satisfaction"
After no hot water for a week the Lowes manager agreed to replace my hybrid tank. A few days later I received a new anode rod. The tank was used for less than 3 months and the anode is not under warranty . This is wrong. I now have a new tank and anode rod thanks to Lowes. Wait and see what happens. AOS should have handled this sooner. See my original post that was posted earlier last week

Date created: 2018-01-26 Name: Ed D'Aurora
Location: Steubenville, OH

"Donít buy!!"
Hybrid modelHP10-50H45DV. Unit installed only 3 months. Developed severe odor problems like sulfur and rotten eggs. AOS will do nothing. Told me to replace anode rod with another style at my expense. Paid $1200 for this tank and itís useless. Please beware!!

Date created: 2018-01-22 Name: Tu Trang
Location: San Jose, CA

"Bad burner"
I have the a o smilth installed less than 5 year in my rental home and the burner went bad. Had to replace new water heater. This time I insisted the Rheem.

Date created: 2018-01-20 Name: Charlene J Meadors
Location: Willis, TX

"50 gallon hot water heater"
Purchased 50 gallon hot water heater in November 2016 - didn't work a month - had to replace element which was not operating - would not purchase ao Smith again

Date created: 2017-12-06 Name: Roberta Aden
Location: Lincoln, NE

"I'm probably going to have a different brand put in in near future."
I have replaced my water heater 2 times in 2 years. Reasons the same on both and still having same problems. Pilot light going out. This last time I had to replace gas control valve. Sensor light said it was over heating. Now I'm told to drain tank every six months to avoid the over heating. Plumber said sediment in bottom is making the sensor to detect its to hot. Never had to drain water heaters before in my other 3 houses I had. Why now and that's 40 gallons of wasted water. Costing me unnecessary money. I'm probably going to have a different brand put in in near future. Don't want to drain tank in my retirement years.

Date created: 2017-09-12 Name: M

"Don't buy"
Me and my family just bought brand new and installed it, it never once heated up the water and when we called the company about getting it replaced, they said the warranty is no good. We just bought it brand new not even 1 hour after calling! They will do loops about a replacement part or sending a plumber on a brand new tank that was just bought. They don't honor anything nor is this piece shit worth ant penny to spend. Do not buy ao smith.

Date created: 2017-07-26 Name: T. Crawford B
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Stay away"
I live in a house that was built new less than ten years ago that has two water heaters. In 2012 I had to have two AO Smith units replaced that were one month inside of warranty. One of the replacements just went bad, so I will be on my 5th water heater in less than ten years. I specifically told the plumber to install something anything else. Hope my Rheem unit will be better

Date created: 2017-06-26 Name: Dean Ulmer

"Will not honor warranty if installed in Bathroom! Don't buy!"
Tank leaked after 5 years into a 6 years warranty. A.O. Smith would not honor warranty because installed in a bathroom! Don't buy!

Date created: 2017-04-24 Name: john chamorro
Location: Livermore, CA

"Wasted Money"
I had my water heater replaced with the 40 gallon GCR. It's a propane fired unit. Right off we noticed this thing sounds like a jet plane taking off. It runs and runs and runs. If you run 2 gallons of hot water it kicks on and takes 6-7 minutes to recover. Tech replaced the thermo and shortened the dip tube with no improvement. His comment was that it was normal. This thing is using over 10 gallons of propane a week. Normal??

Date created: 2016-12-02 Name: Curtis

"POS water heater"
We've had this unit 3 years with now the 3rd burner replacement at $300+, really tired of repairing new equipment, failure of american companies, worst manufacturers, junk.