Consumer Reviews of AO Smith water heaters

Read more about AO Smith water heaters

Date created: 2019-02-01 Name: R. Rogers
Location: Pinnacle, NC

"Do not buy this water heater"
I purchased an ao Smith tankless water heater at Lowes - box said easy installation, Lowes personnel said you'll have no trouble installing. Brought it home - had to go back and purchase $300 of supplies just to install. Got electrician to install - heater won't come on. Called their technical support next day at 4:00. At 4:45 finally got to the correct department. They told me to remove the cover and I asked "how"? They couldn't tell me because they do not have a manual for the product they manufactured, however, the technician assured me she had been trained on this water heater. Started ABCs of trouble-shooting, hung up on me after a (got my phone number up front to call me back if we got disconnected - still waiting). Called back, asked for the manager - was told the managers don't have direct lines!!! Put on hold, finally hung up at 6:15. Got electrician back in - he was able to figure it out. So their inability to provide customer service cost my about $600. So far the unit is still working but the other reviews here do not leave me with much hope that I will get $1400 of use out of it - the cost of the unit, supplies, electrician, etc. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ITEM FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!

Date created: 2018-12-14 Name: V. Oriole

"Electric water heater"
Installed electric 40 gal water heater less than 2 years old. Runs out of Hot within 3 to 4 min. Called company and they sent me 2 new elements and 2 New stats. Still does not work. They sent a service rep to check it out and he said it was ok. He turned the stats up to 145 deg. Turn on hot water and you had steam coming out. Just the type of man I would want working for me. They are saying that there is nothing wrong with it so they will not replace it. If you are looking to buy a New Hot Water Tank stay away from this company. They don't stand behind what they sell.
Date created: 2018-09-10 Name: Bryan Huwar
Location: Strattanville, PA

"Expensive Warranty!"
I bought an A.O. Smith water heater 2 years or less ago. The gas valve failed. It was warranted, but AOS said the valve would take up to 7 business days to arrive. So I had to pay $50.00 out of my own pocket to ship it so I'd have hot water. That's bs warranty coverage!
Date created: 2018-07-01 Name: Kay Workman
Location: Tacoma WA

"Almost 40 years later!"
Lived here for over 30 years - same tank in use that was installed when the house was built in 1978 - 6 kids, thousands of showers, dishes, and laundry - no maintenance or repairs needed and never once let me down. Love the 66 gallon tank - never ever a shortage of water.
Date created: 2018-04-05 Name: P. O. Consumer
Location: Tucson, AZ

"AO Smith ó Piece Of Garbage"
Will never again purchase an ao Smith water heater. Mine has failed after 4 years. Water has been slowly leaking out of the bottom. I hired a plumber to look at the unit. When he took the panel off the bottom front, there was a significant amount of rust and corrosion, indicative of a leak in the tank. Am now having to purchase a new unit after 4 years. Rest assured, it will be another brand. Would never recommend ao Smith to anyone. In fact, quite the opposite... Iíll share my experience with others whenever the opportunity arises.
Date created: 2018-02-27 Name: DWH
Location: La Plata, MD

"A.O. Smith Sux"
Bought this house brand new 6 years ago with the water heater already installed, but because the water heater was installed 2 years before I purchased, and mind you, no one lived here, this company will not honor any warranty whatsoever due to it leaking, not even half price or some offer towards a replacement. Never again!
Date created: 2018-02-01 Name: Ed D'Aurora
Location: Steubenville, OH

"Satisfaction"
After no hot water for a week the Lowes manager agreed to replace my hybrid tank. A few days later I received a new anode rod. The tank was used for less than 3 months and the anode is not under warranty . This is wrong. I now have a new tank and anode rod thanks to Lowes. Wait and see what happens. AOS should have handled this sooner. See my original post that was posted earlier last week
Date created: 2018-01-26 Name: Ed D'Aurora
Location: Steubenville, OH

"Donít buy!!"
Hybrid modelHP10-50H45DV. Unit installed only 3 months. Developed severe odor problems like sulfur and rotten eggs. AOS will do nothing. Told me to replace anode rod with another style at my expense. Paid $1200 for this tank and itís useless. Please beware!!
Date created: 2018-01-22 Name: Tu Trang
Location: San Jose, CA

"Bad burner"
I have the a o smilth installed less than 5 year in my rental home and the burner went bad. Had to replace new water heater. This time I insisted the Rheem.
Date created: 2018-01-20 Name: Charlene J Meadors
Location: Willis, TX

"50 gallon hot water heater"
Purchased 50 gallon hot water heater in November 2016 - didn't work a month - had to replace element which was not operating - would not purchase ao Smith again