Consumer Reviews of AO Smith water heaters

Read more about AO Smith water heaters

Date created: 2018-09-10 Name: Bryan Huwar
Location: Strattanville, PA

"Expensive Warranty!"
I bought an A.O. Smith water heater 2 years or less ago. The gas valve failed. It was warranted, but AOS said the valve would take up to 7 business days to arrive. So I had to pay $50.00 out of my own pocket to ship it so I'd have hot water. That's bs warranty coverage!

Date created: 2018-07-01 Name: Kay Workman
Location: Tacoma WA

"Almost 40 years later!"
Lived here for over 30 years - same tank in use that was installed when the house was built in 1978 - 6 kids, thousands of showers, dishes, and laundry - no maintenance or repairs needed and never once let me down. Love the 66 gallon tank - never ever a shortage of water.
Date created: 2018-04-05 Name: P. O. Consumer
Location: Tucson, AZ

"AO Smith ó Piece Of Garbage"
Will never again purchase an ao Smith water heater. Mine has failed after 4 years. Water has been slowly leaking out of the bottom. I hired a plumber to look at the unit. When he took the panel off the bottom front, there was a significant amount of rust and corrosion, indicative of a leak in the tank. Am now having to purchase a new unit after 4 years. Rest assured, it will be another brand. Would never recommend ao Smith to anyone. In fact, quite the opposite... Iíll share my experience with others whenever the opportunity arises.
Date created: 2018-02-27 Name: DWH
Location: La Plata, MD

"A.O. Smith Sux"
Bought this house brand new 6 years ago with the water heater already installed, but because the water heater was installed 2 years before I purchased, and mind you, no one lived here, this company will not honor any warranty whatsoever due to it leaking, not even half price or some offer towards a replacement. Never again!
Date created: 2018-02-01 Name: Ed D'Aurora
Location: Steubenville, OH

"Satisfaction"
After no hot water for a week the Lowes manager agreed to replace my hybrid tank. A few days later I received a new anode rod. The tank was used for less than 3 months and the anode is not under warranty . This is wrong. I now have a new tank and anode rod thanks to Lowes. Wait and see what happens. AOS should have handled this sooner. See my original post that was posted earlier last week
Date created: 2018-01-26 Name: Ed D'Aurora
Location: Steubenville, OH

"Donít buy!!"
Hybrid modelHP10-50H45DV. Unit installed only 3 months. Developed severe odor problems like sulfur and rotten eggs. AOS will do nothing. Told me to replace anode rod with another style at my expense. Paid $1200 for this tank and itís useless. Please beware!!
Date created: 2018-01-22 Name: Tu Trang
Location: San Jose, CA

"Bad burner"
I have the a o smilth installed less than 5 year in my rental home and the burner went bad. Had to replace new water heater. This time I insisted the Rheem.
Date created: 2018-01-20 Name: Charlene J Meadors
Location: Willis, TX

"50 gallon hot water heater"
Purchased 50 gallon hot water heater in November 2016 - didn't work a month - had to replace element which was not operating - would not purchase ao Smith again
Date created: 2017-12-06 Name: Roberta Aden
Location: Lincoln, NE

"I'm probably going to have a different brand put in in near future."
I have replaced my water heater 2 times in 2 years. Reasons the same on both and still having same problems. Pilot light going out. This last time I had to replace gas control valve. Sensor light said it was over heating. Now I'm told to drain tank every six months to avoid the over heating. Plumber said sediment in bottom is making the sensor to detect its to hot. Never had to drain water heaters before in my other 3 houses I had. Why now and that's 40 gallons of wasted water. Costing me unnecessary money. I'm probably going to have a different brand put in in near future. Don't want to drain tank in my retirement years.
Date created: 2017-09-12 Name: M

"Don't buy"
Me and my family just bought brand new and installed it, it never once heated up the water and when we called the company about getting it replaced, they said the warranty is no good. We just bought it brand new not even 1 hour after calling! They will do loops about a replacement part or sending a plumber on a brand new tank that was just bought. They don't honor anything nor is this piece shit worth ant penny to spend. Do not buy ao smith.