Consumer Reviews of American water heaters

Read more about American water heaters

Date created: 2014-08-05 Name: B Durf
Location: Carlisle,PA

"American has the worst customer service"
3 years ago while I was deployed my wife had to replace our hot water heater. It was a unit recommended by a Lowes Customer Service Rep. The first year we had no problems and the unit was flawless. Probably around the 18 month mark was when our problems started to occur. The unit was not heating the water, so we had a Plumber come troubleshoot it. Cleaned the Flame detector unit and worked as needed. So then another 4 months went by, and the exact same symptoms, so this time was home, and called American and I spoke with customer service for over an hour, the gentleman on the phone was courteous and since we were still under the 6 year warranty, we got a new part. That was about a year ago, and now as of 5 days ago, guess what back to the same issues. Im deployed again and my wife is not happy in the least. She called American again last week; was giving the run around and told we need to clean our water heater every 3 months. Everyone including our professional plumber informed us, this was crap. The company informed my wife we had the limited warranty, but I have proof of the 6 year manufacture warranty. So now here we are. I will be taking legal action against this company. I have documented every issue with this unit. I am applauded by the lack of support and poor customer service. I highly advise everyone who has purchased a unit from American to seek legal action or at least, filing a complaint with the BBB.

Date created: 2014-02-24 Name: R. Perry
Location: D'ville, Ga.

"40 Gallon Gas Fired Water Heater"
My water heater was installed 10-20-2011 with 6 year warranty. The first 18 months I had no problems. Since that time I have had to replace the thermocouple unit due to the fact it would not stay on. That was about 2 months ago. Since I continue to have to light it, over a period of the last month I average lighting it twice a day at least. Considering legal action if company does not wish to cooperate with their warranty.

Date created: 2014-02-12 Name: Sue Lee
Location: Tempe, AZ

"Stopped working after just 3 years"
Three year old American Flameguard 50 gallon gas water heater refuses to have the pilot light stay lit. We have never had a water heater last less than 10 years. Replaced the thermocouple and gas regulator and still not working properly. We are having a plumber come today to replace this 3 year old water heater. We will specify not to use the American brand. I would love to support us manufacturers, but the product has to work for the expected lifespan of at least 10 years.

Date created: 2013-12-07 Name: Annonymous
Location: Fayetteville, NC

"TERRIBLE PRODUCT"
I ordered this water heater for my business and had two installed. It has been less than one year and I am already having problems with it. First there is never any hot water in the morning or at various times throughout the day unless you constantly reset it. One makes a loud noise like a lawn mower and the other makes a beeping sound as the light constantly beeps until you unplug it or turn it off and back on and that only last for about 30 minutes. I am still under warranty so I called tech support and after a runaround they said they will send me a replacement part based on what they "think" may be the problem but not before I pay in advance for shipping and handling. This company just rips you off!!!!!

Date created: 2013-05-20 Name: R.G.
Location: Pearland, TX

"Terrible Product, Ineffective Customer Support"
I am having my own American water heater nightmare right now. Long story short, both my awh water heaters (installed in parallel) went out last Friday. In both cases, the pilot would simply not stay lit. After calling customer service, they sent me the pilot/thermopile assemblies for both tanks. They arrived Monday. I installed one, tried it, and it didn't work. Exactly the same problem. I called again. The Rep indicates he will send the control box for the tank in which I replaced the pilot assembly, but he would not send it for the other tank until I replaced the pilot assembly. I argued with him to no avail. It is logical that if both went at the same time and replacing the pilot assembly in one wouldn't fix it, it wouldn't fix the other. His answer: "not necessarily". So, he preferred to continue wasting my time and an unnecessary replacement part that to help fixing the problem. Of course, I went ahead and replaced the pilot assembly in the second water heater. Guess what? It didn't work. So now I am trying to contact them again to get the box for the second heater. Oh! And of course, they send you the part, but either you have to install it or spend the money to have it installed by a technician. Let me understand that: their crappy product went out after only 18 months of use, and I have to pay to fix it. Conclusion: stay away from this shoddy brand!

Date created: 2013-03-25 Name: Daryl
Location: Dallas, Tx

"American Water Heater"
I purchased my home in 2004 and the builder installed two fifty gallon American water heaters with a 6 year warranty. The units are quiet and consistently deliver hot water on demand. I have not had any problems with the unit in nine years. However, I was not aware that I needed to flush the units and I now have a sediment build-up that is evident by a popping sound. I was able to quiet the popping by flushing the unit. Since the two units sit in a walk-in attic above my master bedroom, I'm going to proactively replace the units. I am researching units but could very well go with American once again.

Date created: 2013-02-21 Name: Hurt Gutlei
Location: philadelphia PA

"50 glns natural gas"
As a plumber contractor, I do not recommend anyone to buy or install these American water heaters. The water heater was installed about six months ago and it failed. So we called the customer support center and we did troubleshooting for two hours they finally decided to get the part from Lowes. Lowes had asked me to bring in the old part in exchange for the new part, the installation did not work. Called again, back to the home depot. Got the new part drained the water heater and installed the new part light it up the water heater exploded at the bottom. Called again they asked to do more trouble shooting I refused to light it up again after the explosion, customer said to make an appointment with the technician to look at the problem I had to pay them, Iím tired of trouble shooting, trips to lowest, phone calls, bullshit. I finally replaced the water heater for a Bradfor white water heater because I know that this is a good quality product. Not crap like American water heater.

Date created: 2012-05-21 Location: Minneapolis, Mn

"Home water heater review"
The Mor-Flo model water heater, by the American Water Heater Group as described above, came with my house when I purchased the house over nine years ago. At the time, the water heater was less than five years old. In that time I have not had to do any repairs or maintenance. The one thing I don't like about it is that it is not as efficient as the newer models on the market today, but that is no fault of the product, rather the technology at the time. We keep the water temp very high in our house, and have never had a problem running out when showering, doing laundry or the dishes. I would absolutely buy this same brand again, if a new model was up to current efficiency standards. I have also recommended this brand to friends and family in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

Date created: 2012-04-24 Location: Valley Village, CA

"Dissatisfied With My Pro Line Flame Guard Water Heater"
I purchase this water heater in January of 2005. Frankly, I really do not know what to look for in a water heater and so I requested this one be chosen and installed by my plumber. The one thing I do like about it is that it has an electric starter rather than a constant flame. However, it seems that just a couple of months into ownership I received a notice that a part had been recalled the heater was not safe until I had the part replaced. I had to make numerous telephone calls to get an individual on the phone who understood what the recall was about, and who could instruct me on how to order the new part and have the installation paid for. To my mind this was a sign that the heater design was released on the market before it was ready, and that the company did not well-train their customer support staff. Since the repair, I have had to turn up the temperature to get enough hot water to fill a 25 gal. tub; this is a 40 or 50 gal. water heater tank. So, I've soured on the purchase, and when it finally breaks down, I won't be purchasing another water heater from American Water Heater Company.

Date created: 2011-11-22 Location: Butte, MT

"American Water Heater"
I have owned this water heater for a few months. I like it because it has a nice temperature stat on it which makes it easy to set it to the perfect temperature. I am only somewhat satisfied with it because even though the heater is only 15 feet from the kitchen, I must wait for the water to warm up for almost 20 seconds each time I use it. I've never had any repairs needed on this heater. I would recommend this heater is a friend were to ask for my recommendations! Its a large water heater, so I can take very long showers with no problem.