Consumer Reviews of American water heaters

Read more about American water heaters

Date created: 2015-03-20 Location: Winchester, KY

"Great Water Heater!"
So far very good! I have had this water heater since June 2014, it seems to heat the water very fast and is good for our family of 3 (two adults one child.) The only thing I dislike about it is that it wasn't certified for a discount on energy savings for our local municipal provider. We have not had to replace or repair it yet (knock on wood!) I would buy this brand again and have suggested it to friends who were looking to buy one. We decided on the 40 gallon model for the size of our family and how much water we actually use. So far we are very happy with this brand and hope it lasts for a long time! We also did a lot of research and read reviews for this product and decided it was the best option for us. I highly recommend this brand to anyone in search of a reliable water heater!

Date created: 2015-03-19 Name: K Ward
Location: Texas

"Great water heater!"
Have had no problems. It's heavier than Rheem and other brands we looked at. So sturdy and efficient.

Date created: 2015-02-25 Name: l.

"Don't buy an American hot water heater"
Bottom line - don't buy an American hot water heater.

Date created: 2014-08-05 Name: B Durf
Location: Carlisle,PA

"American has the worst customer service"
3 years ago while I was deployed my wife had to replace our hot water heater. It was a unit recommended by a Lowes Customer Service Rep. The first year we had no problems and the unit was flawless. Probably around the 18 month mark was when our problems started to occur. The unit was not heating the water, so we had a Plumber come troubleshoot it. Cleaned the Flame detector unit and worked as needed. So then another 4 months went by, and the exact same symptoms, so this time was home, and called American and I spoke with customer service for over an hour, the gentleman on the phone was courteous and since we were still under the 6 year warranty, we got a new part. That was about a year ago, and now as of 5 days ago, guess what back to the same issues. Im deployed again and my wife is not happy in the least. She called American again last week; was giving the run around and told we need to clean our water heater every 3 months. Everyone including our professional plumber informed us, this was crap. The company informed my wife we had the limited warranty, but I have proof of the 6 year manufacture warranty. So now here we are. I will be taking legal action against this company. I have documented every issue with this unit. I am applauded by the lack of support and poor customer service. I highly advise everyone who has purchased a unit from American to seek legal action or at least, filing a complaint with the BBB.

Date created: 2014-08-04 Name: B. Dillon
Location: Maple Valley, WA

"NEVER, EVER BUY AN AMERICAN PRO LINE WATER HEATER!"
Our local plumber installed an American Pro Line Water Heater in October 2010. It worked great until December 2013, when the pilot light stopped staying lit. The plumber who installed it came out 5 or 6 times, replaced the thermocouple, charged us a total of over $400, but then it finally started working. Hooray! And, then, in July, the problem started again. I called Pro Line support, was sent directions on what to do if it wouldn't stay lit, but the unit still wouldn't stay lit. The same plumber came back and was baffled. He said in his 40 years as a plumber, he has never had this much trouble with a water heater. He tightened up some parts, checked to make sure that everything else was working, relit it...and it worked for 3 days. Now we have to light it about twice a day manually. I called Pro Line, asked if we could get some help, and was told to call one of their certified repair people, a & E. I had tried that last week, but they couldn't come for 5 days and could give me no estimate of cost other than the $89 to show up, which would be applied to the cost of repairs. They couldn't give me an hourly rate or any estimate. I was talking to someone somewhere in the U.S., without the ability to talk to a local company or directly to the plumber, so I didn't use them. At the end of our conversation today, the Pro Line woman told me that she would call an hvac specialist, as she decided that it doesn't sound like a water heater problem. I asked her why the water heater would have worked for 3 years initially and then 6 months if it was a problem with venting or plumbing. She said that "other things" could happen, but couldn't explain what those were. After almost four years and $1400 into this water heater ($1000 for original installation and unit, $400 for repairs in December/January), we now have to buy a new water heater unless we want to lie down on the floor twice a day to light our pilot light, and never know each morning whether or not we'll have a hot shower. Never, ever buy an american pro line water heater!

Date created: 2014-02-24 Name: R. Perry
Location: D'ville, Ga.

"40 Gallon Gas Fired Water Heater"
My water heater was installed 10-20-2011 with 6 year warranty. The first 18 months I had no problems. Since that time I have had to replace the thermocouple unit due to the fact it would not stay on. That was about 2 months ago. Since I continue to have to light it, over a period of the last month I average lighting it twice a day at least. Considering legal action if company does not wish to cooperate with their warranty.

Date created: 2014-02-12 Name: Sue Lee
Location: Tempe, AZ

"Stopped working after just 3 years"
Three year old American Flameguard 50 gallon gas water heater refuses to have the pilot light stay lit. We have never had a water heater last less than 10 years. Replaced the thermocouple and gas regulator and still not working properly. We are having a plumber come today to replace this 3 year old water heater. We will specify not to use the American brand. I would love to support us manufacturers, but the product has to work for the expected lifespan of at least 10 years.

Date created: 2013-12-07 Name: Annonymous
Location: Fayetteville, NC

"TERRIBLE PRODUCT"
I ordered this water heater for my business and had two installed. It has been less than one year and I am already having problems with it. First there is never any hot water in the morning or at various times throughout the day unless you constantly reset it. One makes a loud noise like a lawn mower and the other makes a beeping sound as the light constantly beeps until you unplug it or turn it off and back on and that only last for about 30 minutes. I am still under warranty so I called tech support and after a runaround they said they will send me a replacement part based on what they "think" may be the problem but not before I pay in advance for shipping and handling. This company just rips you off!!!!!

Date created: 2013-05-20 Name: R.G.
Location: Pearland, TX

"Terrible Product, Ineffective Customer Support"
I am having my own American water heater nightmare right now. Long story short, both my awh water heaters (installed in parallel) went out last Friday. In both cases, the pilot would simply not stay lit. After calling customer service, they sent me the pilot/thermopile assemblies for both tanks. They arrived Monday. I installed one, tried it, and it didn't work. Exactly the same problem. I called again. The Rep indicates he will send the control box for the tank in which I replaced the pilot assembly, but he would not send it for the other tank until I replaced the pilot assembly. I argued with him to no avail. It is logical that if both went at the same time and replacing the pilot assembly in one wouldn't fix it, it wouldn't fix the other. His answer: "not necessarily". So, he preferred to continue wasting my time and an unnecessary replacement part that to help fixing the problem. Of course, I went ahead and replaced the pilot assembly in the second water heater. Guess what? It didn't work. So now I am trying to contact them again to get the box for the second heater. Oh! And of course, they send you the part, but either you have to install it or spend the money to have it installed by a technician. Let me understand that: their crappy product went out after only 18 months of use, and I have to pay to fix it. Conclusion: stay away from this shoddy brand!

Date created: 2013-03-25 Name: Daryl
Location: Dallas, Tx

"American Water Heater"
I purchased my home in 2004 and the builder installed two fifty gallon American water heaters with a 6 year warranty. The units are quiet and consistently deliver hot water on demand. I have not had any problems with the unit in nine years. However, I was not aware that I needed to flush the units and I now have a sediment build-up that is evident by a popping sound. I was able to quiet the popping by flushing the unit. Since the two units sit in a walk-in attic above my master bedroom, I'm going to proactively replace the units. I am researching units but could very well go with American once again.