Consumer Reviews of Quadra-Fire pellet stoves

#12  of 16 brands of pellet stoves

Read more about Quadra-Fire pellet stoves

Read reviews of other Pellet Stove brands

Date created: 2018-02-08 Name: Teresa Stacy
Location: West Virginia

"Beautiful Expensive Mistake!"
We paid nearly $6000 for our pellet stove insert, and once again it's not working! I really can't pinpoint if the thermostat is more of the problem, or the stove itself. Because if it isn't an error message on the thermostat, keeping the stove from properly working, it's something going out on the stove. I expected given the top of the line pricing, that we would get top of the line service, sadly we haven't. I'm trying to figure out a way to get rid of this $6000 headache and replace it with something that actually works!

Date created: 2018-01-07 Name: George Gonsolez
Location: Missouri

"Quadra-fire problems"
Our quadra-fire stove has been nothing but problems since we've had it. Constantly replacing parts, can't get any service. Haven't had the stove running at all this year because of auger jammed error messages. Replaced numerous parts and it still doesn't work

Date created: 2017-11-14 Name: Ruth Savino
Location: Virginia

"Inefficient Heating System"
The unit is temperamental. The termostat doesn’t keep it operating through the night. The maintenance is labor intensive. I have trouble getting the pieces back in place after having to take it a part as directed. And the heat is not steady or consistent. Given that I have to refill it continually with 40 lb bags of pellets, the manual labor required generates the most heat! The cost to pay a technician to thoroughly check and maintain the unit annually makes this heat source very expensive & inefficient.

Date created: 2017-11-09 Name: Raymond O'Driscoll
Location: Colton, OR

"Noisy, very noisy!"
This beast sounds like a 747 on take off. In average living room, have to yell to be heard over the din. Salesman said this model (ultra fire castile) was extremely quiet. Not so definitely not quiet.

Date created: 2017-03-13 Name: em
Location: Reading, PA

"scary at times"
The unit is from about 20 years ago. It is hitting its maximum. I wish it would have lasted longer. Parts are starting to rust and now cost more to replace than a new stove. It smokes heavily if it doesn't feed correctly. You have to make sure that you line up the inside parts correctly from the chute. You have to be careful when you clean it to make sure all the parts are back in place or you get a smoky mess in the house and outside. If you don't clean the ashes in two days, you get heavy smoke outside because the fire doesn't light. It warms our living room well, but doesn't heat anything else on that floor so we still have to use lots of other heat sources in the house. It costs about $5 a day to run, plus we have to pay for electric in the bedrooms and propane downstairs in a 2400 square foot house.

Date created: 2017-01-10 Name: Rob S
Location: Nashua, NH

"Quadrafire Pellet Stove Insert"
I have owned my 1200i for 4 years. Prior to that I owned a Quadrafire 1100i. I like the pellet stove inserts because they fit in an existing fireplace and take up less room than a free standing stove. My pellet stove is quiet which I really like. You can hear the fan but it is not loud to the point where you can't hear the television or people speaking. THe stove is really good with whatever pellet brand I put into it. It burns everything well and has no problems starting with whatever pellet is in the stove. The igniter works really well. As I stated above I have burnt many brands of pellets and have never had a problem with starting. The only thing I do not like about the stove is the size of the hopper. The 1200i has a 40 pound hopper which lets me put one bag of pellets in at a time. I wish the hopper was bigger so that I could load it up for two or three days worth of burning. I have had to repair the stove once since I have owned it. The first season I ran it the auger went bad and needed to be replaced. I bought the part at the local dealer and did the repair myself. Replacing the auger was pretty easy. I removed four screws on the auger cover plate and then another 2-3 screws to remove the auger. This is my second Quadrafire stove and I would definitely recommend this stove to my friends and family.

Date created: 2016-11-07 Name: EM
Location: Reading, PA

"Warms little area"
I moved into a 1960's home bi-level and have lived here for a year and one-half. The place came with the older about 1990's pellet stove. We had it inspected and cleaned along with a few new parts for about $200 which was a bit overpriced since I could probably do everything the person did to clean the stove myself. The parts he said would need to be replaced some time soon were very expensive, almost $500 for a new firepot. The door would be near that price too if it went bad. It was as expensive as a new car to fix. The stove needs to be cleaned about every week on cold days and every couple of days on very cold days. It is a dirty job, and sometimes if you don't scrub the pot enough then too many pellets come out and don't start the fire up easily. It has big puffs of smoke until you thoroughly clean the fire pot well. Sometimes, the pellets don't shoot into the pot and you have to adjust the inside pieces to make sure you don't have the fire not starting. The unit only heats my living room and doesn't spread heat to the bedrooms in the back rooms just down the hall. It doesn't seem very efficient as I get a huge electric bill as well each month for using the electricity to power the pellet stove. It may cost less than pure electric, but I'm not quite sure as I had to pay the cost of pellets and electricity. I am considering putting propane instead in the upstairs to see if that would heat the whole upstairs and not use up so much electricity and money. I wouldn't necessarily recommend, but probably would recommend propane instead which seems cleaner and less work and more affordable. Getting the pellets home from the store is cumbersome as well.

Date created: 2016-11-03 Name: JG
Location: Hebron, Maine

"Quadra-Fire Keeps Us Warm and Saves Us Money During Cold Maine Winters"
We have owned our Quadra-Fire Castile pellet stove since 2012 and love it! We were looking for a pellet stove to help heat our cape during the cold Maine winters, and this was a great choice. The Quadra-Fire does an excellent job keeping us warm, enabling us to cut back on our use of oil. This resulted in significant savings. I like the look of the stove as well. It's very stylish! Being able to see the flames through the glass front gives our home a cozy feeling, too. We have had only one small issue in the 4 years that we have owned the Quadra-Fire. This past year, the ash dump control rod became difficult to maneuver and would sometimes become temporarily stuck in the open position when we cleaned the stove. During our annual cleaning, I mentioned this and the men were able to fix the problem easily by digging out a small chunk of burned pellets that had become lodged in the assembly. They assured me this is common and easy to fix myself should it ever happen again. Now that I know how, I'm sure I could fix the problem, too. My only complaint is the sound of the blower which is a little loud, but that seems to be an issue unique to pellet stoves in general. I would absolutely recommend this brand to a friend and I would certainly buy it again.