Consumer Reviews of Harman pellet stoves

#10  of 16 brands of pellet stoves

Read more about Harman pellet stoves

Read reviews of other Pellet Stove brands

• P68 (7 reviews)

Date created: 2018-11-17 Name: Daniel Pontbriand
Location: New Hampshire

"No complaints here!"
Bought the fireplace insert three years ago and had it professionally installed. They did a great job. I am religious about routine maintenance which I do myself. I also use only premium pellets. The stove has performed as advertised and then some. It looks beautiful in our stone fireplace. No rust or broken or warped parts after three years. We live in New Hampshire and use the stove from mid-October until late April. We burn about 2.5 tons of pellets each year. The stove was a bit expensive but in the end, increased the value of our house. I suspect that many of the complaints I've read here are from people burning cheap pellets, not doing the maintenance or not having the stove professionally installed. I love DIY projects and have done a lot of things to my house, but installing the stove professionally was the best things I could have done to protect my investment. Do the maintenance, read the manual, learn how to operate the stove properly and it will serve you well. I'd buy another Harman in a second over anything else out there.

Date created: 2018-11-15 Name: Robert Jones
Location: TEXAS

"Poorly Built Stove"
Harman is not the pellet stove it claims it is. I bought one about 4 weeks ago and kept it in my garage until the cold snap hit I brought it in the house (newly built house) and hooked it up. The damn thing clanked and rattled smoke filled the house but it was after hours where the dealer I bought it from was closed he was also closed on Monday I guess for Veterans day. On Tue he was open and happily said bring it back and he would exchange it and he did. In the mean time I contacted Harman itself about paying $5000 for a wood pellet stove and it acted like this they did not get back to me until this morning Thursday 5 days after sending an email on their site. Their response to the problem of their stove was it had to have time for the new paint and iron to burn off and as far as the smoke our door was not shut right (how many ways can you shut a door) or something was stuck in the flew blah blah blah blah not one mention about the clanking and rattling of the auger on the inside, (which btw is the problem with these stoves) they weld the top and bottom part of the auger but do not weld the middle (poor design) when you weld that the noise you hear will go away. Read about lousy Harman stoves on youtube. Anyways my new stove is quiet so far and no smoke coming out of it (I guess I got the door shut right this time :( ) Oh one thing with my new stove the xx on the front was turned upside down and my husband had to fix that very poor labor. One last thing the dealer did not even offer to deliver the new one and pick up the old one we had to drive 280 miles round trip the first time and 280 miles yesterday for the exchange and since there was not easy way of handling this stove because all the boxing had been thrown away my husband and I had to lift about a 300-350 lb stove into the back of our truck to take it back. I can not say just how bad of customer service we received from Harman. I cannot tell you enough to stay away and save but if you insist on buying from them even after I told you about my problems with them then it is all on you or you just like throwing money away.
Date created: 2018-10-17 Name: S. Appleton
Location: New Hampshire

"Love my Harman"
Going into our 6th season with a Harman P43. No issues at all, burns about every brand of pellet we've tried very well. Our main heat is electric baseboard, but what that cost us for 6 months, I can buy 4 tons of pellets and keep the house at 72 vs 67 all winter.
Date created: 2018-09-15 Name: C. T. Lyman
Location: Maine

"Unsolved problems"
Bought this insert in Sept. 2013. Upfront costs were over $4,000 and installed a generator because of stove's need for electricity. Living in Maine, stove is used 24/7 from about October - April. We have a technician do a thorough cleaning yearly - special tools needed to clean feeder chamber. We clean the firebox every 3-4 days. Feb. 2016, the cast center medallion was cracked and severely warped. Calls to Harman re: recalls, safety issues and this specific issue - their only response was to talk with the certified Harman stove shop from whom we bought it. No one knew why the medallion would warp. Had to replace medallion. Had tech person for cleaning 9/13/18 and same issue after only 2 1/2 heating seasons - warped medallion. This time it is so warped, he has to return to cut it out. Still no answers. This time, I may push for a new stove. If they can't figure it out, I assume the stove is defective.
Date created: 2018-02-26 Name: wayne caffery
Location: walton, NY 13856

"Nice looking stove just will not give any heat"
Very disappointed
Date created: 2017-12-13 Name: Marjorie Acres
Location: Ottawa, Ontario Canada

"They just don't care"
This will be my third and last posting on my rusting Harman stove that at the time of report was less than a year old. I have written them three letters over three months. They have not had the courtesy to acknowledge even one letter. I would have hoped they cared more, but guess not. I should have saved money shopped at Canadian Tire and got points and saved money.
Date created: 2017-11-08 Name: John
Location: Elko, NV

"Worthless Garbage"
Never again!! This thing is worthless, if I had the money then I would have it ripped out and have a wood burner installed. Where do I start....doesnt heat, clean and it immediately clogs up, try and get a tech to look at it and might as well buy a new one because by the time they are done charging you then you are in so deep it is ridiculous. Doesn't feed correctly, seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to starting and stopping. Doesn't even heat our living room when it should be doing much more. Do not ever buy!!!!!!!
Date created: 2017-11-03 Name: M. Acres
Location: Ontario Canada

"Rust"
Follow up to my review of the less than year old Harman with rust. No one, the distributor, the sales rep or Harman themselves have stepped up to the plate about this. All I get told is there is excessive moisture and maybe the paint was not cured. The one I bought the stove from did not say there was extensive moister as a rep said, and I use a dehumidifier. I am very dissatisfied that their answer is to sand and repaint. With rust I don't believe this is a permanent answer. So buyer beware .
Date created: 2017-09-26 Name: P O Harman
Location: Canada

"Rusting"
Not sure how this is going to end up, but I bought a new Harman last year. Installed in November and used until May . It is in my basement where most people put them, and in four months of not being used, and with a dehumidifier running, mine is getting rusty. I contacted the company and was told to sand it down and paint it. Really I would think I should get better support than that. So what will it be like in the next 5 years? I previously had a 20 year old Harman and it sat in a shed before I got it, with no rust. I was also told that the cast iron tends to rust, but there is rust all over this. I find it sad that Harman doesn't even consider that mine could just have bad material. Stove works fine, but if it is going to rust out not good.
Date created: 2017-03-17 Name: C. Snyder
Location: Rochester, NY

"Never again!!"
I purchased a Harman e few years back. Well this season the stove has been acting up. So I had repair tech come in to check it out. He tells me the "control board" is going, and says that this is a known problem with these Harman stoves. And because of this problem they don't make the replacement boards for this model and that I would have to get the upgrade. All at an approx. Cost of $500-$600!! or, since they don't make this model stove anymore I could buy a new one which is twice what I paid for this one. Really?! So there is a known defect in this stove. Don't you think Harman should be fixng this free of charge?!!! Way to stand behind your product Harman! Will never buy from them again.