Weil-McLain makes residential and commercial boilers, water heaters, air conditioners, furnaces, air handlers and hydronic heating systems. Weil-McLain is owned by SPX Corporation (NYSE:SPW) and is headquartered in Michigan City, IN. SPX had reported HVAC sales of $511 million in 2017.
Weil-McLain was founded and operated in 1881 by two brothers under the name Weil Brothers. In 1918 the brothers bought out one of their suppliers, JH McLain company, and renamed the company Weil-McLain. United Dominion purchased Weil-McLain in 1993, and SPX Corporation purchased Weil-McLain in 2001.
The company has continued to expand since then, most recently with the 2006 acquisition of Chinese boiler manufacturer Taishan Maeda Boiler Co. The company also continues to invest in new products and technology; SPX notes in its most recent annual report that the company has spent a total of $44.7 million in 2013 on research and development programs geared toward updating existing product lines and manufacturing techniques.
Weil-McLain includes in its product line-up 80 and 90 percent AFUE furnaces, 13 SEER air conditioners and coils, and hydronic air handlers. The company offers a wide range of boilers, including the Weil-Mclain Ultra, a high-efficiency condensing gas and oil boiler.
Most Weil-McLain boilers will have a sticker with a “CP” number. You can enter that number on Weil-McLain’s CP Lookup tool to determine how old it is and its date of manufacture.
Weil-McLain offers a variety of warranties specific to each unique boiler. Among them are the following:
GV90 Gas Boiler
- Residential Warranty: 20 years on primary heat exchanger, five years on secondary heat exchanger, two years on all other parts
- Commercial Warranty: 10 years on primary heat exchanger, five years on secondary heat exchanger, one year on all other parts
WM97 Gas Boiler
- Residential Warranty: 12 years on the heat exchanger, two years on all other parts
- Commercial Warranty: 12 years on the heat exchanger, one year on all other parts
Ultra Gas Cast Aluminum Boilers
- Residential Warranty: Limited 15 Year (comes with a free 5-year parts and labor warranty)
- Commercial Warranty: Limited 15 Year (does not come with 5-year parts and labor warranty)
Registration is not needed to claim warranty benefits, but proof of original date of purchase will be required.