Tempstar Heat Pump Reviews

"The "A" Coils Leak"

A coils leak — the model is 2 years old. Cost $315.00 to fix. How about Junkstar?

c mood

spencer in

"STAY AWAY from Tempstar"

We built a new home in 2011. We have 2 units, one is gas heat pump the other is electric. Well, within 90 days of moving in they had to add freon to our units on our 90 day walk through with the builder. Should have known that was a very bad sign, but we didn't think anything of it. Well within the 1st year the motor on one of the units went out. Then the next year there was a freon leak on one unit and the coil on the other unit had to be replaced. Now the unit with coil replacement is not working again. I am fed up with Tempstar and have tried contacting them several times in different ways. I have even contacted Carrier which is supposedly the parent company and they were just as rude as the tempstar customer service. We have already put over $1000 into the units in 3 years. That is with the warranty because the warranty does not cover freon or labor or shipping and handling of the parts. We were even charged a processing fee on the coil that was under warranty!!! So they may say warranty, but they will get your money some how. Stay away from Tempstar or any company related to them.

C.Hodson

Columbia, SC

"Leak in evaporator coil only 5 years old"

Somewhat Satisfied

I am hearing of alot of people that are having to replace evaporators only after a few years of operation…This is not a fun thing to do and Tempstar is not making it easy for r-22 users….I Went to get a new 5 Ton coil and it was priced at $1,200 just for the coil…I Told the parts guy I can buy a whole new assembly for that price and sure enough when he looked it up the blower and evaportator all together was alittle over $700….The bad thing is they are not stocking 22 untis anymore and wanted me to change out to a r410a entire system…I Said no thanks but bought the $700 r410a indoor blower assembly and am going to change the expanasion valve to r22: which to make matters worst, they did not have the 5 Ton expansion valve in stock and will be almost a week before they can get one….Very dissatisfied with Tempstar.

Mark Garrett

Coldwater, Ms

"Dirty Sock Syndrome"

What I did 2 days ago is move my auxiliary heat strip on the return side of the unit, so that the temperature would get high enough to kill the bacteria that builds up in the coils and so far it has worked. Took me about 2 hours. I have a 2-year old Tempstar package unit 3-ton. I could not believe the smell of a brand new unit had put off and the many cases that are out there. It is only in the units that are more efficient and the aluminum strips are closer together. So I guess try it. Whoever has manufactured this problem of a more efficient coil should be responsible I believe. 3rd day, found out that it definitely helps but not perfected. I have to bump the temp up so that the heat strip will come on with the evaporator coils to reach a killing temp again. It is 21 degrees outside this morning.

backwheelbandit

"Outdoor Package Heat Pump"

We had our package heat pump replaced with a Tempstar 2-ton 14.5 seer unit in May of 2010. The other unit was 24 years old and for the 16 years we lived in our home, it gave us one problem. The blower motor had to be replaced, cost $250 for part and installation. Much to our dismay, our new Tempstar unit failed to circulate air on September 30, 2013. I called the installation company and they come out to see what happened, and lo and behold, the blower motor is shot. This appears to be an ongoing theme with people who own these units. But the real shocker was the bill for warranty WORK. $385, just for labor. This company should be ashamed with the number of people that have had this issue. Clearly, they use cheap Chinese crap to circulate air. I would not advise anyone to buy Tempstar. If you do, then do not be surprised with the repair bills to keep it running.

C. Purser