Taylor Wood Furnace Reviews

"4th or 5th year in Ohio with Taylor."

I shopped quite a bit before choosing Taylor. The main plus was I looked at 2-3 furnaces that had been working 20 years with no incident. Number one …choose your installer wisely if no Taylor guy is available. This cost me a first winter non-stop headache because of poor installation and buying another lift pump and another heat exchanger. First bury and insulate the lines properly and shield the furnace from the wind. Check your in and out temps with a cheap engine temp laser gun and you can get an idea of heat loss coming in and returning to furnace.I run the furnace water temp at about 165 on the gauge on furnace. The wood you burn is very very important. Unseasoned wood will burn but as mentioned previous sometimes is not kosher especially in the subzero temps we had this winter. Load wood at front of burner so fan blows on it. I run the fan flapper about 1/8th open unless firing up a real low fire to make some nice coals. The terrible cleaning woes!!!!! Very simple to keep those flues clean with a 3 inch wire brush mounted on a 12 inch battery drill attachment. Clean from the rear back to limit on drill bit extender then snap on another 12 inch extender and finish. This will clean the 4 inch flues up to a couple inches from the front. Let fire die down a bit and ream out the few inches remaining from the front.

Michael Ray

ne Ohio

"450"

We bought new. Pipes on back were egg shaped had to cut and retread pipe. Door material cracked after 6 months after use. Called salesman he said they would come any replace it. Still have not seen them — it's been over 5 years now. After 3 years it started leaking and has not stopped finally I replaced the whole fire box. 8 Months later it had 5 holes come in the side,replaced the side,3days later the othr side started leaking. The money I spent on this 450 I could have payed the gas bill and not had to do any work!! If you want to save money you better look somewhere else not to mention all the work. I have heard people have them for year w/o trouble. I may have a lemon made from bad steel. Of the stoves I have seen the legend looks the best.

alan harper

beckley wv

"Should Have Done It Years Ago"

Got t450 this year heat 2 story 2200 sq ft home 2 pumps separated 2nd floor from first load once a day even when 10 deg out cleaning is pain. Very simple unit can buy parts at local hardware store pump fan ect. Don't have to worry about electronic devices to go bad. All stoves are good maintenance is key. I know people with this stove for 22 years no problems.

don

poland ohio

"Taylor 450"

We have had our stove for 5 years. Load only once a day unless temperature are below zero. Small wood box is only 24 x 24 and 36" deep. Heat house and water for a wheelbarrow's worth of wood a day! Cleaning does take sometime, best to do at the end of a heat cycle.

Randy

Augusta, WI

"Love the furnace"

My husband and I have owned a Taylor for 18 years. In that time, we have replaced the fan twice and the water pump once (both were available at Grainger). It has a really big firebox which keeps you from hitting your knuckles on the sides when you load it. You do have to be smart about how you use it. If you load all pine, you'll have boil over and have to add water. If you clean out all the ashes, the floor of the stove might burn through, but leaving a bed of hot coals has worked perfectly for us. In normal Virginia mountain winters, we load it once daily. If the temperature gets down into the single digits, we have to load it twice. The only thing we dislike is cleaning it. The creosote buildup is tough to scrape out if you let it get away from you. All in all, it has paid for itself many times over.

C. Nicely