Tappan Furnace Reviews

"Reliability"

Somewhat Unsatisfied

Had this unit installed in late 2008. It's had a lot of trouble ever since. Several parts, including a capacitor, were replaced. Now the evaporator coils are leaking and have to be replaced. The dealer tells me that the coils were never engineered properly to withstand the higher pressure caused by the new refrigerant. He says this is an industry-wide problem. Apparently two of the manufacturers have agreed to replace these at no cost. Tappan apparently will replace the coils under warranty but I have to pay a $750 installation fee. My question is, why should I have to pay for an apparent factory defect that all manufacturers agree on, yet only 2 will stand up to their obligation? Cars are recalled, so why not furnaces?

Mel White

Blairsville, GA

"Works great"

This is in with a matching heat pump for dual fuel. Both units do just fine. The furnace is so quiet on low, I have to open the burner door to see if it is firing. We went through the worst winter in decades earlier this year and it didn't miss a beat. The heat pump was in for the super hot summer of 2012 and, unlike its predecessor of the same size, didn't struggle to cool when it was over 100.

J. Mills

Indianapolis, IN

"Tappan gas furnace"

Unit is quiet, efficient and dependable. It is small and doesn't take up too much room in my utility room.

Joe Knust

Omaha, NE

"Tappan Heating less than 2 years old."

Tappan Heater less than 2 years old. Service 6 times. Flame sensor cleaned 4 times then replaced it at my own expense and now heater has stopped working twice again less than 2 months after replacing sensor. Installer has spoken to tech support who refuses to allow him to replace the board which registers low flame signal. I have spent this whole winter being cold. Tech support refuses to speak to customer/homeowner.

Diane Miller

southampton, pa

"Just Went Out"

I just want to say thanks Tappan for a great unit. The model guf120042E4 serial 73e22117 in my home was the same one built with the house 73. I had a routine inspection done and it now has a hairline crack front of the heat exchanger and blower is going bad. Ive lived here since 1999 to the present, and it seems to be the only furnace ever in the house. Only routine maintenance and cleaning.I Think the pilot ignitor was replaced since I've been here.So after 30 some years its finally getting replaced. The salesman and service guy could not believe it. I hope the new one is just as good.

Ricky Davison