Shaver Wood Furnace Reviews

"Not worth it"

This makes the 10 years. And it's shot. I had to fill this stove at least 3 times a day. If you live in a very cold area. Don't buy this one

E warner

Orwell, OH

"Love my furnace"

I've had my furnace since September, 2014 and I love it. I haven't used a tri-axle of wood. I only load it twice a day, morning and night.

JoAnne Arnold

Aurora, WV

"How to improve a Shaver forced air stove"

I have had my Shaver forced air stove for 3 seasons. It works great but I have seen and heard other users ask, how could it work better? I added a fan control on the small blower. Instead of full force under the coals, now I can dial the air speed. It's easy to keep a controlled temperature, the wood last 4 times longer and my house doesn't get too hot. I'm looking into adding a control on the main blower, too. I load the stove once for about 30 hours of burn time.

Bob Dodd

Martinsburg, WV

"P.O.S. Shaver"

I bought this block of metal this year(2014) and I will never recommend this stove or the people that run this business to anyone. I'll put it this way: if I could rate this stove in the negatives, I would! The stove is poorly put together and runs through way too much wood. I have to fill it 3 times a day when it's 30 degrees out. I have to fill it with water once a week. The blower is already going out and I have run the stove for 2 months! The people that I dealt with cannot read a damn tape measure. I called and asked for dimensions on the stove so I could pour concrete before the stove was to arrive. They gave me the wrong measurements, and refused to reimburse me for the concrete and the delivery fee I paid to have the shove placed exactly where it needed to be. It took me multiple phone calls to get through, and once I did they decided to be rude and blame it on me, like it was the paying customers fault! The person I ordered the stove from was a guy named Ben. The manager I talked to was Ray, and once I talked to him about my problems he ran and wouldn't return my calls like a little coward. When I talked to Don and asked to talk to the manager, what I got back was unbelievable. And I quote: "The manager is not in (I just talked to him) and we will not be able to refund your money because it was not our fault. Have a nice day, goodbye", and he hung up! So if you like wasting your money on junk shit, talking to pathetic telephone tough guys, and not having a warm home please buy one of these horrible junk pieces of shit Shaver wood burners! Next year I will spend the money on a Central Boiler!

J Melchert

Litchfield, IL

"Good, simple furnace"

Somewhat Satisfied

I have had my 165 since 2008, heating an old two-story farm house. The thermostat is the only thing that has failed, and it happened in the first month or 2. I emailed Shaver and they sent a new one. In the meantime, I used a hot water heater thermostat I had saved from a water heater replacement. I have had no pump failure or leaks. I do perform the water treatment as recommended. It provides good heat. To me, the biggest drawback is the manually adjusted air control on the blower. When the blower turns off the air can still draft through, based upon where it is adjusted to, sometimes causing the water to boil when the house is using less heat. UPDATE: 7/9/16 I wrote a review about 2 years ago that now I'm ready to lower. I have had the 165 in use since fall of 2008 with no big issues, but in the middle of the 2015/2016 heating season a leak showed up. I finished out the heating season and then addressed where it was coming from. What I found was 2 different areas – one was in a weld seam at the bottom right side that is so small it could have been leaking from the start and not have been noticed. The one that made me realize there was a problem on the bottom of the water tank. I had used the water treatment recommended and flushed the water side out and retreated as recommended by chemical testing company but I think the design is the issue. The drains are not right on the bottom so you can never really flush it like needed. So I believe after 7 years enough sediment was able to deteriorate this area. The water tank is not made from the same thickness of metal as the firebox, too bad and if there was a true bottom drain my problem and I'm sure others would would not have developed for many years. I tried to call Shaver by the # with my paper work, no answer. I went to a website that seems like it was Shaver and spoke to a guy named Randy, who once I said I was calling about the warranty of my Shaver he said " Oh they went out of business recently". It did provide good heat while working but used a lot of wood.

Gary Harris