Ruud Furnace Reviews

"Too noisy"

Somewhat Unsatisfied

Heats and cools well. But the noise when the heat starts up is terrible.

Dan

St. Louis, MO

"A very loud furnace"

Somewhat Unsatisfied

This furnace works well, and if it was not loud I would not write this review. The furnace starts like a small jet engine that turns into a constant hum. The company that installed it said we would get used to the sound and it was nothing but airflow. Some airflow since the furnace we got rid of had no hum and did have airflow and frankly was quiet compared to the Ruud unit. It seems there is nothing one can do about this except suggest that anyone buying one should look around for a unit that is quiet so they do not have to get use to the hum.

A Markus

Westlake, OH

"Do NOT buy a Ruud!"

Motor is shot after 22 months. As it is a proprietary part that is inter- connected a temporary one is not possible. This being a statutory holiday, there isn't any possibility for a repair until tomorrow. Fortunately, it is only -2c. We did not choose this brand our heating installation company foisted it upon us. I'd have chosen a Keeprite, Carrier, Lennox or York. I'll tell everyone not to buy Rudd. I work for a modular home firm and will be sure that Ruud is never specified for one of our customers' houses.

Martin Yates

Auburn, Ontario

"Disappointment"

For the first few years, the furnace worked great. For the last 5 years the furnace totally stops working in the middle of winter, no heat. Every fall, I have a furnace specialist clean and inspect the furnace. No issues. However the furnace fails due to a vacuum hose that plugs. The fix is very easy. Pull the rubber hose off the two ends, blow out the hose and insert a 3 inch long narrow screwdriver into one end (the left hole) and turn. Replace the hose and the furnace starts working immediately. This is totally unacceptable for a furnace to fail 1-3 months after a tuneup. The furnace specialist who deals with Ruud has stated to me that the fault is a manufacturer glitch and that there is no fix. This does not help me at all. Why can't Ruud fix or replace their faulty unit?

mark shinewald

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

"Disappointed In Ruud"

Somewhat Unsatisfied

I bought this Ruud gaspack because of the construction of the heat exchanger being stainless steel with a limited lifetime warranty. The heat exchanger is the weak link in these type systems as our two previous systems failed because of heat exchanger cracks. Enter the Ruud. It works well with lower heat/AC bills but, the unit is rusting from the inside out. The cabinet inside (burner compartment) has rust running from the burner location, down the wall, along the floor and out the compartment cabinet. I had the factory rep and the installer out for a look but nothing was done. I called again this month (September 2016) with the same basic reply. Buyer beware of Ruud/Rheem products. It doesn't make sense to pay for stainless and have the rest of the unit rust away.

steve