Rheem Furnace User Reviews | FurnaceCompare®

Rheem Furnace Reviews

"Unpleasant noise from exhaust vent pipe"

Somewhat Unsatisfied

My next door neighbor had a Rheem RGRK-Series Model with an input rate of 120,000 btu installed. It vents horizontally out the side of their house opposite my bedroom. The noise being emitted was so loud it would keep me awake. When I would be in my detached garage (the opening 20 feet from the vent pipe) the noise could be sensed reverberating off the ceiling In the back of the garage more than 30 feet from the vent pipe. After numerous complaints to the Town of Oyster Bay, the Town had their outside engineering consultants investigate. The Town's outside engineering consultants measured the noise to be 74 decibels at 1 foot from the vent pipe (equivalent to a vacuum cleaner). The Town's outside engineering consultants determined the noise was not loud enough to harm my hearing and further determined the noise not to be a disturbance even though the furnace runs frequently throughout the night. I was informed that if the noise bothers me that I should install solid fencing or bushes. Well, I installed vinyl fencing and yet I am still affected by the noise. Not the loudness, rather for the sound that humans can not hear – infrasound. That reverberation inside my garage is a sign that there is infrasound, noise at or below 20 Hz. The infrasound of low frequency oscillating waves is causing headaches, ringing in my ears, my vestibular to pulsate, etc. The same effects many humans are having who live close to the huge wind turbines. Of course the Town will do nothing further to investigate. And, not surprising to me either, Rheem does not wish to listen to or involve themselves in their product because I am not the party who purchased the furnace, I am only the party whose life has been made miserable due to their product.

Thomas Mercaldo

Hicksville, NY

"New Classic furnace 95 %"

Has never run more than two months at a time without the repairman coming and fixing it. Should have bought a York furnace like my neighbor did.

Brain Adams

Marshall, IL

"Like the furnace, bad installer"

Somewhat Unsatisfied

Bought a Rheem furnace years ago, had an electrical lightning storm that ruined the furnace. I had another one installed, both furnaces were installed by ***** * **** of Syracuse NY. I have had trouble from the start with the blower motor making a noise. I was told you have to leave the filter out a ways and thus leave the cap off. Again I moved the filter out farther and have worried about dirt getting into the furnace and blower motor. Called numerous times. Better Business Bureau will be next. I am 77 and do not need this problem.

BRUCE A. SMITH

East Syracuse, NY

"Long lasting brand"

Well I've owned this house for about 15 years, and the previous owner had it for 10 years so this furnace is 25 years old and still running good. It is low maintenance, so basically all you have to do is change the air filters once or twice a year. Once I called a technician because I thought it was broken but I didn't notice the on/off switch located next to a regular light switch was off, so the technician just turned the switch back on. I have never had any repairs done to it, it runs perfectly smooth. So other than that everything is good with my furnace. I will definitely recommend this brand to anyone.

Stratford, CT

"Fan failure"

Diagnosed as circuit board fault, still has not been fixed. Been without heat and A/C for about 1 1/2 weeks. Since initial start up of this unit the fan has been very low through duct work. My concern is this product is not even listed in your Series section, not sure what I got here.

Mike Kirkpatrick