Rheem Furnace User Reviews | FurnaceCompare®

Rheem Furnace Reviews

"Furnace quit/no repairman"

My 95% efficiency Rheem quit at 4.5 years of age. It never really saved me anymore money than my 25-year-old Carrier oil furnace. When I bought it, the dealer said they'd install it, but won't service it. Well, the salesman said nothing goes wrong with them – just keep the filter changed. I called a local repairman and he left, said he needed to call someone and he'd know what the error codes meant. That was 3 months ago – haven't seen or heard from him since. I'm going to start chopping wood for my wood stove. What a waste of $5,500.

Bill

NorthCentral PA

"Failure prone, service problems"

In December 2010 I installed an rgpn-05eauer furnace in a rental I own. I had a furnace failure in April 2014. The technician that performed service cleaned the flame sensing rod and recommended that it be cleaned every year. In December 2014 I started cleaning not only the flame sensor rod but also the igniter rod using the steel wool the technician recommended. In October 2017 I had another furnace failure this time it was an intermittent roll-out temperature sensor. After several service calls this was finally replaced. In April 2018 the furnace failed to operate again. A technician was called. He cleaned the flame sensor rod and informed me that we should have the flame sensor rod cleaned once a year. I informed him that I have been cleaning the flame sensor every December since 2014. The previous furnace had been installed and operating with no service problems since 1982. I would not recommend that you even consider using any type of Rheem furnace, unless you want to pay $94 every time you have a furnace failure.

W. Hikade, CPP

Grand Rapids, MI

"Happy so far with Rheem"

Somewhat Satisfied

We had a Rheem furnace installed in 2009. The following winter we had to call a technician in when it stopped working. He replaced the pressure sensor which was covered under warranty. Ever since then it's been running well. Only complaint about the furnace is that the fan is a bit noisy.

Ian Gomes

Ontario, Canada

"Dissatisfied customer"

Had my furnace installed on January 31, 2014 and have had trouble with it since day one. There is an oil filled piece inside that initially smokes up your house once the unit is turned on for the first time. It did this but never stopped. Was always smelling this odor and constant burning of our eyes. When unit was turned back on in October 2014, it set off smoke detectors again. Service company came out and totally removed furnace and found oil all over the fire box where this piece of equipment had completely leaked all the oil out. They cleaned it and replaced parts and reinstalled same furnace. January 2016 had to replace 1/2 horse power motor with capacitor and limit switch. Parts were covered, but I had to pay $300 for service charges. January 2017, less than a year later, had to have motor replaced again at a cost of $161. Almost $500 in last year for service charges. Original furnace in this house ran for over 30 years and all I ever had to do was change filters regularly. What's wrong with this picture.

E. Matheny

Farmington, NM

"Worst furnace ever"

I had this 96% efficient furnace installed 6 years ago because I wanted to add an air conditioner and figured I would replace my 26 year old Rheem furnace that I had never had a single problem with. That was a bad mistake. After less than 3 years the flame sensor needed to be replaced which required a service call. Now the middle of winter and as cold as it can be the crappy furnace goes out. Service man comes out and determines it is the multi speed blower motor. No one stocks these because they are so expensive. I was quoted just under $1100.00 for the motor by 2 different service companies. I have been without heat for almost 1 week now and the first company said 2 to 4 weeks to get the motor and the second company said 2 weeks to get the motor. This is by far the worst piece of crap I have bought and Rheem lives up to its name by reaming its customers on replacement. The only reason I am not replacing this piece of crap is that the furnace was warrantied for 10 years although I have to pay for the shipping of the motor and labor to have it installed.

Kenneth Schroeder