Payne Heat Pump Reviews

"Do not buy"

I bought a 5-ton Heat pump/A/c system for my rental house around 2013. I paid $4,700 for this piece of crap. Since then, it has broken twice. The first time, it cost me $3,500 to fix. It had a leak in the coils. The company working on it couldn't find coils nearby, so they had to have coils freight shipped in and I had to have the Freon recharged. Eight months later, it breaks again. Guess why…low Freon. Now I have already spent $800 and waiting to spend more trying to find the leak. This thing is junk. I will never buy any Carrier product again and recommend no one else does either.

Justin

Georgia

Had this unit installed 4 years ago. It is made by Carrier. The warranty only covers parts after a year. It started making a very loud screeching noise when the outside unit shuts off. Company that installed it came out and said that the part which causes the noise is in the compressor and until the compressor goes totally out, there is nothing they can do. They said they had to clean the unit in order to check for the problem. What they didn't tell me is that cleaning it cost $140 plus $55 for a service call. So I was charged $200 to be told there was nothing they could do and that the compressor would eventually go bad because of the problem that causes the noise. The labor to replace the compressor will be about $1,200! Repairman said things aren't made like they used to be. Ridiculous! Buy something not made by Carrier.

Susan Staley

Indiana

"This heat pump truly is a Pain"

Here is the checklist you need to know; 1. Under performs relative to competition 2. Poor Warranty (Non-transferable) 3. Poor quality machine If you're going to make a large investment like a ducted heat pump, I strongly recommend you invest in a higher quality unit.

M.Mackay

Nova Scotia

"Don�t buy it�s product"

Two and a half years ago our heat pump was replaced by America's Home Shield as part of our warranty. We have repairs every summer since installation. Each one is at least a thousand dollars due to coolant costs. It has been major every time. This unit should count under the Lemon law. Our previous unit was 24 years old and never needed more than routine cleaning. This is a horrible product.

Phyllis Plowucha

Inman, SC

"Good product, ran well for 16 years"

I had a Payne Heat Pump system that ran for 16+ years and was still running great when I replaced it. I replaced it because the original installer mounted it on the ground and dirt had built-up on the base and caused corrosion. I was also headed overseas and was going to sell my home in a couple years so I did a preemptive replacement because I did not want my spouse dealing with any HVAC issues and did not want a "Home Inspector" telling me my HVAC was near "end of service life" in an attempt to beat me down on my home asking price. As with most things I believe installation makes 90% of the difference on mechanical systems, and my Payne would have probably ran another 3-5 years if I had not replaced it.

Mike