Osburn Manufacturing Inc. produces residential wood and pellet stoves. Osburn is owned by the Quebec, Canada-based company Stove Builder International Inc. (SBI). SBI owns seven subsidiaries and is privately-held.
Reviews by Wood Stove Series900
Osburn stoves and fireplaces are EPA certified and are available in several different styles:
- The 900, 1100, 1500, 1600, 2300 and 2400 series all offer a traditional body style, with a single front-facing window.
- The 1800 and 2200 series offer a freestanding stove with a triple-paned bay window.
- The “Soho” and “Matrix” series offer distinctively more modern looks.
Their stoves range in output from 40,000 BTU/h to 100,000 BTU/h.
Bob Mills and 3 partners founded Osburn Manufacturing, Inc. in 1979. The company claims several wood stove “firsts”:
- In 1980, the company became the first North American manufacturer to make a wood stove that complied with the state of Oregon’s air emission standards.
- In 1988, the company became the first wood stove manufacturer to market a gas stove.
- The company claims to be the first manufacturer to receive EPA approval for a “bay window” style wood stove. This style incorporates two angled windows in addition to a front-facing window, and provides a view of the firebox from three sides.
SBI International purchased Osburn Manufacturing, Inc. in 2002, and soon moved its manufacturing facilities from British Columbia to Quebec.
SBI traces its history back to FX Drolet, a Quebec-based company founded in 1875. While SBI may be able to trace its roots back to the nineteenth century, its current incarnation dates back to 1999, when a group of investors bought Drolet’s assets.
Osburn’s warranty varies by components: The combustion chambers, cast iron door frames and ceramic glass have a lifetime warranty against thermal breakage and manufacturing defects. Other parts have variable warranties that span from 1 year to 7 years. Parts replaced under warranty have a 90 day warranty themselves. The warranty only applies to normal residential use and does not cover damages caused by improper use, installation or lack of maintenance.