Luxaire Furnace Reviews

"Total junk"

4 year old total junk, very poor quality. Broken 4 times in 4 years. Do not waste your money on Luxaire. Fails on us every winter between Jan and March.

Arthur

Toronto

"Luxaire/York/Johnson Controls"

I am 100% dissatisfied with the Luxaire modulating furnace installed in my home in November 2008. It operated well in 2008, however, I have had to make service calls due to no heat in the winters of 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. Last November, there were service calls on 11/15/12, 11/16/12, and 11/24/12. On 11/15/12, the service technician found moisture at the pressure switches and found that the condensate needed to be replaced. On 11/16/12, the condensate was replaced but the furnace would not run. The service technician then discovered that the motor was not working. He replaced the motor but the furnace still did not work. Next, he found that the board needed to be replaced. When that replacement did not enable the furnace to operate, he found that the pressure switch needed to be replaced. With that replacement, the furnace began to operate and heat was restored. On 11/24/12, I awoke in the morning to a cold house and discovered the furnace stopped running yet again. The service technician came and inspected the furnace on 11/24/12 but could not determine what the issue was. He returned on 11/26/12 to replace more parts which got the furnace up and running and continued to operate until today 11/8/13. The issue today was that the condensate pan had to be replaced and the flame sensor needed to be cleaned. I took out a loan to purchase this furnace (along with an A/C unit) in November 2008 and I also purchased the extended warranty which expires this month. The duration of my loan is 84 months which means I've got monthly payments until December 2015. In November of 2012, I contacted Johnson Controls and requested to have my furnace replaced with a new Luxaire two-stage variable furnace. Johnson passed the issues on to it's distributor who did their best to work between Johnson and me to resolve this issue. Johnson rejected my request to replace my furnace and also rejected the distributor's suggestion to give me a 10-year warranty. This shows that Johnson will not stand behind their product. Their only offer was to cover the unreimbursed labor from the 2012 repairs. It is not unreasonable to expect a new furnace to operate (without all of the issues I've had) for the expected life of the unit or close to it. As of next month, my warranty is up. Johnson will not extend the warranty and I have payments until December 2015. Needless to say, I will not purchase any Johnson Controls product in the future and there is no way I would recommend their products to anyone.

Judy Cunningham

York, PA

"Happy Customer"

I own a duplex and had to replace a split unit 4 years ago. The new Luxaire unit has performed extremely well. Only had one minor condensation leak, and due to installer warranty the fix and part was free. Everything seems to depend on the installer, and I have had twice yearly checkups on the unit. Plus changed the filters each month. As far as I am concerned the unit is highly efficient, very reliable, and economical. But make sure you have a good installer and that the unit is the proper size for your home and area.

mark

lorain oh

"J R – Luxaire Review"

I purchased a high efficiency Luxaire furnace in 2005 to replace a Similar 20 year old Trane. I assumed that since Luxaire is a Johnson Controls company that the product would be high quality and reliable. I was wrong. One hour after the furnace was installed it quit. The intake blower moter was defective. In the spring of 2006 the furnace quit again, this time due to a defective wire. In the fall of 2006 et another service call was needed to clean the gas orafice. Things were fine until 2010 when the blower motor module fried requiring a new module and blower motor. In February of 2013 the furnace quit yet again. The motor module once again fried and the Luxaire dealer said the motor should be replaced along with the module. I took their advice and had the repair made for $1156. The blower motor later tested ok, so I at least have a spare motor for the next time. A call to Johnson Controls customer service seeking help with the repair was met with "Oh, it's too far out of warranty". The rep suggested that perhaps the local distributer might be interested. Most likely not. I am very disappointed in the performance of a product that should have a useful life of 20 plus years. I would never purchase another Luxaire product…I Can't afford the service calls and I'm tired of being cold while waiting for a repair tech.

J R

Sterling Heights, Michigan

"Home Owner"

It does save a ton of money until it needs repair. It stopped working on 2/11/13. I contacted the local gas utility that has a large service department. The utility (ugi) had checked the installation and replaced a pressure switch in 2011. At 3 months short of 5 years the pressure sensor on the circuit board went bad. No Heat! Luxaire says the board is obsolete, not under warranty, and its replacement is over $700.00. The the board was sent and directions also say the gas valve has to be replaced. None in the kit. Still have no heat!! I would advise anything but Luxaire or York.

Frank Fabricius