Janitrol Heat Pump Reviews

"CPKJ48-18"

I had a Janitrol air handler with a 4 ton Goodman split system heat pump installed in 1997 and the system ran consistently until November of 2015. I had to replace the fan motor on the outside unit twice during this time. I had to replace the super starter capacitor twice also. The Janitrol unit was actually more dependable than the outside Goodman unit. I had to replace the blower motor a few years ago and one of the heat strips shorted out leaving two banks of 5 kw each or 10 kw still working when needed. Other than that, the air handler gave no problems at all. I had a problem with the outside Goodman unit because the installer wired the defrost timer incorrectly and the unit kept freezing up. This put a lot of stress on my system and I believe it shortened the life of my compressor even though I got almost 18 years of service out of it. I finally found a technician who checked my system and was able to determine that the defrost timer was set for 3 seconds so it essentially never worked at all. He adjusted it to the correct setting and my problems with the unit freezing up and high electric bills due to heating with heat strips went away. If I had rated the system before the technician determined that the installer had wired it incorrectly, then I would have given it 2 stars or so…and that wouldn't have been due to anything relating to the actual system but would have actually been due to the incompetence of the installer. I hope this helps others who have had issues with their outside heat pump freezing up. Ask your technician to verify that the defrost timer is set correctly and you might save a lot of money trying to stay warm. I just purchased a new Goodman heat pump split system and I hope I have the same luck with this system as the Goodman-Janitrol heat pump split system.

Ronnie Frost, Sr

Ludowici, GA

"Time to replace"

I have had this system since 2005 when the house was built. I have had problems starting at year two. The compressor was under warranty, but I had to pay placement cost which was approximately $500. The next year it worked fine. Year 4, had another problem and repaired it. Year 6, another problem repaired. Last year another problem was diagnosed as a leak. I'm fed up! I'm replacing the unit tomorrow after two months of utility bills of $412 and $460, respectively. I was told the bills are high because it's operating on the emergency heating system. I don't know much about systems and what's going on, but I do know this system is costing me a lot of money, almost on a yearly basis. While the repairman said the system could be repaired, I am not willing to continue to throw good money after bad. I hope this helps someone else out there.

M. Hood

Yorktown, VA

"JANITROL Equals PROBLEM"

I have had nothing but trouble from the very first day. I had to call and pay for service and refrigerant/gas at least a couple of times a year. The heating element died in year 4, the coil leaked from the very beginning, and some switch has stopped working now. I really did not get more than 3 months of service from this lemon. The unit now is only 6 years old, and I had 6 years of trouble. Stay away form Janitrol.

A. Mashayekh

Norfolk VA

"Dissatisfied"

Very poor quality. Have two units and after six years replaced the coil in the air handler on both systems. Have had the systems maintained twice a year since purchasing the house new. Do not buy Janitrol.

K Maley

Ruckersville VA

"Janitrol heat pump a wise choice"

2550 sq ft home built in 1957 added on in 1988.Bought a 5 ton Janitrol unit at the recommendation of A/C man. Just now having a problem. Faithful about annual routine check ups – may be the difference regarding the life span. Very satisfied with the product.

M. Vaughn