Ducane Heat Pump Reviews

"Unsatisfied"

I live in an adjoining condo to one that installed one of these. Their unit is right under my bedroom window and is the loudest heat pump on this planet. Wakes me throughout the night in the summer. Do Not Buy this Brand!!!

lynnette

OH

Our 5 year old 3-ton Ducane has a burned up compressor. The warranty has run out because we didn't register the unit. We were never told by anyone that it was our responsibility to register this unit. We assumed that our licensed contractor who installed it would also register it. I would never buy another Ducane. We jokingly say here that it is more like a Ducan't.

Starr Robinette

Tennessee

"Oh well"

Have had unit four years. Have had it worked at least once every year. Internal parts tearing up. Nothing to do with installation.

Steve

Tennessee

"Overall a Very Good Unit"

We have an 11 year-old 3-ton Ducane heat pump that was original to the house. It has generally been reliable. Right after we moved in the circuit board on the condenser unit failed, which was replaced under warranty but we were stuck with the labor charge. About 1 year ago the run capacitor failed, which was replaced at full cost to us but was relatively inexpensive. We get the system inspected / maintained once a year and have never had to add any refrigerant since day one. I live in an area where power outages, surges, and lightning strikes are fairly common. Many of the circuit board failures are due to poor (or perhaps even nonexistent) grounding of the condenser unit. If you live in an area with poor electricity conditions, I'd highly recommend installing a supplemental grounding rod on the condenser. Just a bit of background – Ducane is in fact a lower-end Lennox rebranded to sell to contractors, frugal homeowners, etc. Lennox – Armstrong – Ducane are actually the same products with a few small exceptions. Most people purchasing Ducane or any "budget" model HVAC product are looking to save money. This means that they often go with poorly qualified second-rate installers or contractors who will cut corners to lower their bid price. Not surprisingly, the quality of installation is usually substandard. I've seen many hack-job installations of Ducane, Goodman, Nordyne, etc. units. I would venture to guess that most of the issues people are complaining about are due to the poor quality of installation resulting in shortened lifespans. When the unit has a catastrophic failure after a few years, the HVAC technician will look at you and say "You should have bought a Trane, these Ducane / Goodman / Nordynes are junk." In actuality it's much better to have a well-installed and maintained lower-end HVAC system than a top-of-the-line system installed by boneheads. Shop for the quality of install, not for the name on the system. Above all else, don't be fooled by marketing hype. You'll never see an advertisement on TV or online for a Ducane but you'll see plenty for Trane, Carrier, Lennox, etc. HVAC contractors will push the higher-end name brand units because they make more money on them. Be very wary – get many bids and ask lots of questions.

D. Jones

Huntsville, AL

"Horrible"

Unit 2HP13L36P-1B was installed August of 2009, began having issues in 2012 and the unit was completely useless in early 2016. An entire HVAC system should last more than five years. I can't imagine why they produce such a poor quality product.

Mary Moseberth