Carrier Furnace Reviews

"Repairing after a few years already"

Somewhat Unsatisfied

Bought the Carrier 9300 Weathermaker five years ago. Started having noisy blower motor problems last year. No help from Carrier nor the installer unless I paid $125. Recently the furnace kept shutting down in minus zero weather. Had to call the installer who insisted motor needed replacing for $520 and should have lasted longer than five years however the installer nor Carrier would do anything so if I wanted heat, I had to pay out $520. Next time a furnace is needed, it won't be a Carrier brand.

Sue

MI

"58cva110 funace motor failure"

Somewhat Unsatisfied

Woke on the coldest day of the year and the furnace isn't working. Called the dealer whom which I have had the near mandatory service contract with. Within minutes they determine the motor is bad. Cost 1500 to replace! 5 year warranty just ran out a few months ago. I was flabbergasted that the second most important piece in my furnace went only after 5 years. The next biggest insult was the price. They replace the motor and the ecm altogether even though it seems you can buy them separately. To me this is like your car engine blowing up 6 months after the warranty is out and you have changed the oil regularly. I just hope this isn't the start of my woes with this brand.

s triano

Monmouth, NJ

"58MVB is a piece of junk"

After a nightmare 6 years with a piece of garbage Goodman furnace I decided to get a top of the line furnace that (I thought) would take away my problems. the goodman was more reliable than this carrier. We had it installed just after Thanksgiving last year '07, it's the end of January '09. The furnace is 14 months old. We have had the repairman here 3 times to the tune of $250.00 in service repairs. The worst part is, I don't trust it. I am uncomfortable leaving the house for any extended period of time because I can't trust the furnace, it's too smart for its own good and shuts itself down. The first time, the filter needed changed and when the furnace wasn't getting enough airflow, it shuts down. I am pretty good about changing the filter, it was dirty and needed changed but it wasn't that bad. I have seen much worse. What if this happened on a Friday when it was bitter cold and we were out of town for the weekend. Pretty stupid thing to shut down a furnace and paying a $60.00 service call because I had a filter that needed changed is inexcusable. The stupid furnace shuts down and will not come back on until the technician resets it. The second time insulation from the inside of the furnace broke free and clogged the duct intake. Once again the furnace shut down, not to work again until it was reset (once the insulation was cleared). The third time (one week later) it shut down. It was 1/29/09, one of the coldest days of the year. We came home from work at 8:00 pm to a cold house. It had shut down for no apparent reason. The furnace blinks a code when there is a problem. It was blinking randomly with no pattern to it, so the code was unrecognizable. He just reset it and it has worked so far, but I have zero confidence in this piece of crap and don't trust it. I am soooo disapointed. I paid a lot more than I could have because I wanted a good reliable furnace. I paid a mint for a pig in a poke. I have a high class furnace that is unreliable and I do not trust it. I'm afraid to go anywhere if it's below 32. Do not buy this furnace, you will regret it. Frankly, I don't know what I'm going to do. I paid $3500.00 for this furnace and can't afford to get another so soon, but I can't live with this one either. I'm angry!

Patrick O'Hara

East Liverpool, Ohio

"Between a rock and a hard place"

Somewhat Unsatisfied

In April of 1993 I had a high-efficiency Carrier 58sxc100 installed. It ran without problems until 18 months ago when it needed a new ignitor. Two days ago, it refused to heat the house more than 62-63 degrees. Today (Friday), the Carrier serviceman told me that the heat exchanger has ceased functioning and that the furnace (along with many other Carrier furnaces manufactured since 1998) was part of a class action suit. The warranty on the heat exchanger (covering parts and labor) has been extended to 20 years — but he recommended replacing the entire furnace (for which Carrier which give me an as-yet-unknown credit) with a new Carrier. On Monday, I'll know the extent of the financial damage. But in the meantime, I'm left wondering why a supposedly first-class manufacturer like Carrier ever knowingly used sub-industry standard steel for the heat exchanger. And what unknown drawbacks there might be in a new Carrier.(Do I really want another one?)

Richard Forbes Smith

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

"58MVP"

Somewhat Unsatisfied

New it had a bad induced draft blower, not warranted because homeowner installed it, and why did the homeowner make the blower? Ignighter failed last year and now it's freezing up in the exhaust pipe with our cold temps.

T. Andersen