Armstrong Air Furnace Reviews

"Reliability"

Chose this brand on the advice of the installer to replace the one installed (and still working) in 1973 to prevent a failure due to age. The Armstrong is only 3 years old but breaks down every heating season. Have a second gas furnace in another area of the house that is not an Armstrong but is a high efficiency type. It's over 10 years old and have never had a problem. Don't buy an Armstrong, it has the same valve problem every year. Right now it is warmer outside than inside the house.

Mark Almy

Halifax, MA

"Downflow noise"

We recently had the 96% efficient variable speed, two stage, downflow Armstrong furnace installed. This is the natural gas unit. The installer is a company that we used for many years and they are one of the most reputable in our area. The installation went fine. The only duct change made was a another register of return air was added close to the furnace. When first run, this thing sounded like a jet on the runway. To reduce the air flow, the technician changed the dip switch on the control board to the lowest setting of -18%. The filter they used had a MERV rating of 8. After they completed the task and left, we fired it up to test the sounds in our normally quiet house. On first stage heat, we heard the speed winding up noise of the blower and when it reached its run speed there was a whining noise . Very bothersome. I removed the filter to see what effect it had and the noise dropped . It did not go away altogether, but was reduced. I bought some of the cheapest fiberglass filters I could find and am currently using them. The whining noise remains at a lower level but is still bothersome. The installer was called and paid us a return visit. Offered no help on eliminating the noise. We were told this is a normal sound for this variable speed furnace and because it is a downflow design installed on the first floor (no basement) the blower noise is more noticeable. Hell of a time to tell us ! I am considering having this Armstrong furnace removed and replaced with a quieter furnace if I can find one. $3900 wasted.

B. Campbell

Conneaut, OH

"Dead EZM module"

Our furnace has quit many times this winter. Recently we learned that our EZM module needed replacing after only 7 years. It cost $670.00. We are discouraged at the quality of this furnace.

cristine pace

Akron, OH

"Avoid Armstrong Air at any cost"

My parents original house was built in 1959. I lived there from 1974 until the mid-90'S. The furnace started running in the fall, went on and off all winter, and stopped in the spring. We replaced a couple of fan motors and a thermocouple over the years. That was it. This is our second Armstrong Air furnace. We bought an old home in 2008; the previous owner had installed a high-efficiency Armstrong. It limped through several winters with condensate drain problems, but at least I could get it to run. When we eventually demolished the house, I stored that furnace in the garage. I'll come back to that. Much to my chagrin, the new house we built on-site has an Armstrong High Efficiency. This is our second winter with it. It's a great furnace until it gets cold and runs a lot. You know, when it's cold out…when you need a furnace… Last winter, we had a couple of visits from the technician and the condensate drain was finally fixed (they put a check valve in). I was more optimistic going into this winter. Unfortunately, it's no better. It's stopped, and the only way to get it going again is some combination of turning it off and back on, then hitting "reset", standing on one foot, facing Mecca, swearing off beef… I don't actually know which of these things made it work, but it was working briefly this morning. The technician we spoke to said it might be overheating due to the filter. That was replaced within the last 6 months, so I doubt that's the problem. We'll see when he comes on Wednesday. Two nights of space heaters. Wish me luck. My uncle, who is a 45-year tradesman, put a mid-efficiency furnace in some time ago. I was tempted to source one when we were building, but I believe they've been taken off the market in Canada. I'm now considering, more seriously, the idea of sourcing a used mid-efficiency furnace, and getting my uncle's sheet metal buddy to put it in. It won't be an Armstrong.

Call me Captain Scott

Calgary, Canada

"High efficiency? Maybe in Hawaii"

Our house was built in 1959-60. The furnace was the original and had seen its day, so we decided to replace it with a high-efficiency model. Our installer chose the Armstrong Air GLD91BT, which he said was a pretty good unit. Had I known we would have so much trouble with a new furnace, I would have put up with the old one. In June 2011, we installed the Armstrong and, of course, it wasn't kick started until late September 2011. It wasn't 5 months later, and it quit working. It had blinking red lights and needed a new pressure switch. The service man advised they were made in Mexico and only 1 out of 5 in his pocket usually would work. Then, again, 3 flashing lights in March 2013. The pressure switch was open with the inducer on. The service man came, pulled off the rubber hoses, threw one switch away, reconnected the hoses in a different sequence, and away we go. October 2014, the furnace is not working and the inside temperature is 60 degrees. 6 flashing lights? This is just about enough from a supposedly efficient model and years of trouble free heating! I have never seen such a piece of crap product put on the market. How does one fix the failure codes themselves? And, of course, it is not – 40 below, so no service men are on call. I will never recommend this product to anyone. Stay away from it, and go buy a wood stove. At least there will be no codes to diagnose. And if it starts to get cold in the house, at least you'll know you're out of wood.

D.Raymond