AO Smith Water heater Reviews

"Do not buy this water heater"

I purchased an ao Smith tankless water heater at Lowes – box said easy installation, Lowes personnel said you'll have no trouble installing. Brought it home – had to go back and purchase $300 of supplies just to install. Got electrician to install – heater won't come on. Called their technical support next day at 4:00. At 4:45 finally got to the correct department. They told me to remove the cover and I asked "how"? They couldn't tell me because they do not have a manual for the product they manufactured, however, the technician assured me she had been trained on this water heater. Started ABCs of trouble-shooting, hung up on me after a (got my phone number up front to call me back if we got disconnected – still waiting). Called back, asked for the manager – was told the managers don't have direct lines!!! Put on hold, finally hung up at 6:15. Got electrician back in – he was able to figure it out. So their inability to provide customer service cost my about $600. So far the unit is still working but the other reviews here do not leave me with much hope that I will get $1400 of use out of it – the cost of the unit, supplies, electrician, etc. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ITEM FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!

R. Rogers

Pinnacle, NC

"Electric water heater"

Installed electric 40 gal water heater less than 2 years old. Runs out of Hot within 3 to 4 min. Called company and they sent me 2 new elements and 2 New stats. Still does not work. They sent a service rep to check it out and he said it was ok. He turned the stats up to 145 deg. Turn on hot water and you had steam coming out. Just the type of man I would want working for me. They are saying that there is nothing wrong with it so they will not replace it. If you are looking to buy a New Hot Water Tank stay away from this company. They don't stand behind what they sell.

V. Oriole

"Expensive Warranty!"

I bought an A.O. Smith water heater 2 years or less ago. The gas valve failed. It was warranted, but AOS said the valve would take up to 7 business days to arrive. So I had to pay $50.00 out of my own pocket to ship it so I'd have hot water. That's bs warranty coverage!

Bryan Huwar

Strattanville, PA

"Almost 40 years later!"

Lived here for over 30 years – same tank in use that was installed when the house was built in 1978 – 6 kids, thousands of showers, dishes, and laundry – no maintenance or repairs needed and never once let me down. Love the 66 gallon tank – never ever a shortage of water.

Kay Workman

Tacoma WA

"AO Smith � Piece Of Garbage"

Will never again purchase an ao Smith water heater. Mine has failed after 4 years. Water has been slowly leaking out of the bottom. I hired a plumber to look at the unit. When he took the panel off the bottom front, there was a significant amount of rust and corrosion, indicative of a leak in the tank. Am now having to purchase a new unit after 4 years. Rest assured, it will be another brand. Would never recommend ao Smith to anyone. In fact, quite the opposite… I'll share my experience with others whenever the opportunity arises.

P. O. Consumer