Amana Air Conditioner Reviews

"Five Failures in Five Years"

My Amana heat pump is five years old (installed in new house). I am now looking at the fifth failure of this equipment in five years. The condenser has failed for the second time and even under warranty to replace the hardware, I am looking at $500 for labor and replacement freon. I have three different Amana systems in my house, and the other two systems (ac electric and natural gas heating) have experienced four failures in the five years. The last failure from one of these two systems occurred last summer. The parts (fan and controlling circuit board for fan) were ordered, and Amana told the repair person that the Amana policy was to wait 7 days before the replacement parts would be shipped, and we are talking non-fast shipment. I had to wait for two weeks before the part arrived. To get shipment earlier required extra money. The repair person said that he used to have Amana in his house, and got tried of fixing the sorry equipment. The repair person said that he would not recommend Amana to anyone as he is called to fix a lot of Amana equipment. Needless to say, I am now planning to replace the heat pump that is now broken. The replacement equipment will not be Amana.

John McAllister

Aiken, SC

"Bad Smell When Switching From AC to Heat"

Somewhat Unsatisfied

I purchased a 14 seer Amana in July 2011. When I switch from heat to cold the unit puts out a terrible smell in my house for several days. The unit runs ok, but this smell is awful. Someone told me this was due to the material used to make the coils. My ac guy has come out and sprayed disinfectant on the coils but this is a temporary fix. If you guy an Amana I would warn you to research this issue and which models has this stinky coils. I just contacted the company and I sure hope they rectify this issue.

D.Seal

Lake Charles, LA

"Amana very bad choice"

After building several houses, living in 10 others, finally settling down in my last house; I get an Amana Distinctions air conditioner. Awful! I have replaced the coil once, and now 2 years later it needs replacing again. The company that installed it, no better; telling me when I asked why- It is a piece of junk- No joke, then why didn't you tell me to start with. Now their suggestion is to replace it. I have never had this much trouble ever with any air conditioner. I am very upset.

E. Bell

Central Florida

"Unit is a piece of trash"

We had out AC/heater unit installed November of 2009. Since then, we have had 3 major repairs costing almost $1000 each. Soon it will be cheaper to just replace this unit than to keep fixing it every 6 months to a year. When it works it is fine, although sometimes noisy, but it goes out too often for comfort. The company was no help when I approached them about it. I would NEVER buy another AMANA nor would I suggest anyone buy AMANA. This is just a piece of trash.

Bruce Newell

San Diego, CA

"Very Dissatisfied Customer"

Purchased unit in 2002 for $4,000. 3 warranty calls in first 5 years. After 5 years of service (warranty period), spent over $6,500 in repairs over next 5 years. Replaced every component but compressor. Constant leaks of oil and refrigerant. Last repair bill over $1000. Decided to replace (2012). Got a Trane. Will never buy another Amana product.

T. Pruitt