We speak HVAC so you don't have to
Find Local Contractors

1. I need a new:

2. My zip code is:

See all questions

Does my new Gibson air conditioner compressor quality for a tax credit

Post created: 2013-04-14 Type of Equipment: Air Conditioner Views: 273

This question was created on the page: https://www.furnacecompare.com/buying_central_ac.html.

I replaced our central air compressor conditioner with a Gibson Model JS5BD-024KB. Does this unit quality for tax credit?

On 2013-04-14 JB wrote:

First, you should have a statement of eligibility from the manufacturer that should have been given toyou by the person who installed the system. Check there.

The following comes from the Energy Star website:

Central Air Conditioning (CAC)

Central Air Conditioning (CAC)The best way to find tax credit eligible CACs is to ask your HVAC Contractor (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning). To verify tax credit eligibility, ask your HVAC contractor to provide the Manufacturer Certification Statement for the equipment you plan to purchase. Or, search the Manufacturer's website.

Requirements are:

Tax Credit Amount: $300


Split Systems:

SEER ≥ 16

EER ≥ 13

Package systems:

SEER ≥ 14

EER ≥ 12

You should be able to find the SEER or EER of your unit in the owner manual or on the unit itself. If you can't find it then call the manufacturer with your model number. You may also need a serial number.

On 2013-04-16 Dave wrote:

Thank you for trying to help. Unfortunately my HVAC contractor did not provide any documentation on the compressor unit. I don't even know if they registered the compressor for the warranty and customer notices. What makes the situation worse, I paid four times as much for this unit as I did for the original unit ten years ago.

Your Answer

Copyright 2002 - 2018 furnacecompare.com