Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2010-12-30 Name: R. Nelson
Location: Seattle

"So far so great!"
I have had this York heat pump (2 ton, with 2.5 ton air handler) for nearly a month and am absolutely amazed at how warm it keeps the house. This unit replaced an oil burner with a leaky tank. Right now it is 30 degrees outside, and the heat pump maintains the set 69 degrees in the house. The back up electric strip heat has not ever come on, even today! It has not had to go in defrost mode, either. Seattle has strict noise regulations and this unit is so quiet it passed inspection. I did not have to build a sound barrier even though my house is on a relatively small city lot, and close to other houses. I realize I have not had it long, but it has far exceeded my expectations, thus far.

Date created: 2010-12-24 Name: dmidlo2
Location: Midlothina, VA

"York makes worst heat pumps"
We bought a house just over five years ago and the heat pumps were installed by a local dealer. The heat pumps weren't working and I called the dealer who installed them for the Builder. The dealer charged $79 and asked me over $400 to check where the leak is before he tells me what needs to be done. He was arrogant. I called another service guy and he charged me $115 and said that the compressor of one unit is gone and the coil of the same unit is leaking. The coil leaked before and the dealer fixed it. The coil of second unit is leaking. To my surprise, both are just out of warranty. I called York and they asked me to call a local distributor. I called the distributors for price quotations and they told me that they can't give the prices either since they will undercut the local installers. The price quotes for the same model and units vary by over $2000 - prices range from $4500 to $6500. This system is one of the least transparent and most anti-competitive one going on in USA. I wonder why regulators won't let transparency in this market. What is the danger of publishing the prices to the consumers so that they have an understanding of labor cost and unit/parts cost. You go to auto repair shop, they tell you the prices. We have to spend several thousand dollars and I can't cost compare the same model unit from the same manufacturer and the same dealer. This needs to be fixed. I am sad regulators from Virginia and USA let this happen.

Date created: 2010-12-22 Name: jason sizemore
Location: enterprise alabama

"Stupid reviews"
These reviews are misleading. These are people who has had trouble and barely covers anybody with a system that works. Where are those people. Some of these top systems aren't even around anymore. Trust me talk to a few service guys who have to work on them and remember price is major on New systems. You get what you pay for. This site shouldn't be allowed because it'll lead someone into buying a pile of heil or junk. They both mean the same. Save yourself from this website and buy a lennox ,trane,or American standard. These are the least problematic and cheap doesn't mean better even with those systems. Don't skimp on the installation because that could be a disaster let someone good do the job not a moron. This isn't a lego

Date created: 2010-12-13 Name: P.Branch
Location: Moncton, NB

"Nothing but trouble"
We built a brand new house, very excited to install brand new heatpump but have had it serviced every year since it was installed. Both seasons, so it either doesn't heat or it doesnt cool. Right now have discovered that it is again not heating, I'm not even sure what else they can replace on it...but it costs a fortune to have it repaired. So much for the cost savings of having a heat pump! Looking through the various reviews it seems the only people happy with their heat pumps bought them 20 yrs or more ago. Maybe no one makes a quality one anymore.

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: G. Hoover
Location: Aiken, SC

"York Air-Source Heat Pump"
In Feb 2010, I purchased a York Air-Source Heat Pump Model #B1HQ042A06 (single package unit, single speed fan). I've had several problems with the unit. First, the unit's control board was set up for the higher efficiency model with the '2-speed' fan. Thus, in the early summer, the unit wouldn't cool. The contractor had return and to install a jumper to get the unit's fan to operate and and thereby cool properly. Late this fall, when the weather cooled and the unit had to operate in"heat" mode, the unit wouldn't defrost (another fan problem). The installer had to return and install yet another jumper to get the unit to defrost. The unit also suffers from an "old sock" odor that is apparently coming from the air handler/heat exchanger. At no cost to me, the contractor installed a UV light unit in the air handler in an effort to inhibit any biological growth (and keep the odor down). But the odor is still there. I wonder if the York heat-exchanger has a high-sulfur content alloy that encourages biological growth? By the way, the contractor stated that they would no longer install York heat pump units. Lucky us, eh? I would rate the York unit as a "Don't Buy".

Date created: 2010-11-20 Name: L. Michael
Location: Central Pa.

"A New York Recalled"
Bought a new York in 2008. Installers were grossly incompetent. In less than a year, things froze up and the coil had to be replaced (a recall that no one told me about until it was too late). Had to call installer a second time for initial incompetent installation. My neighbor, who works for the power company, swears by Trane. I regret my decision to buy a York.

Date created: 2010-11-09 Name: Stanley Baker
Location: Coshocton, OH

"Home owner"
I thought York was highly rated. Many service calls and repairs required. Installer was prompt to respond so no complaints there. Had to run on emergency heat last several years. Outside unit will not turn off with the inside unit. Then a loud humming noise in the house and the copper line running into the furnace gets so hot you cannot hold onto it. Service man said it is probably a valve on the outside unit. Will require lots of labor to install and not sure if one is available. Outside unit rusted more than expected. Poor quality material? Would not buy another York.

Date created: 2010-10-19 Name: Tracy
Location: Tampa, Fla.

"Very good old unit"
We live in Florida and our A/C runs nonstop from May-October every year, without fail. This unit was already installed in our house back in 1988 when we bought it, way back in 1991, it's the original unit, only had it serviced a couple times, once for Freon and, knock on wood, has been doing just great!! Now that it's about 22 years old, feel like we are really running on borrowed time with it, so have been looking around at new ones, but, honestly, reading all these reviews of the new A/C heat pumps out there is really scary, doesn't seem to be many good things about the new ones!! Any recommendations on just good, solid units would be appreciated, have checked Carrier so far, and are thinking of Lennox. Our neighbor has a newer Rheem, but the service guy has been at his house numerous times, and the neighbor doesn't recommend it either..Thanks for any advice!

Date created: 2010-10-04 Name: C. Royce
Location: Gilbertsville, PA

"Latitude 4 ton SEER 14 heat pump"
I call our heat pump the abortion that lived! Well, just barely! We have had problem, after problem, after problem.... Half of the problems are the incompetent installers and the other half was the scrap metal York sells under the guise of a heat pump. Three years old and the compressor had to be replaced and now the "blue fin" coil is shot. The Board of Directors at York should all be in jail!

Date created: 2010-09-29 Name: Chris
Location: Winston Salem, NC

"DON'T BUY YORK!"
Surprised to read there are any positive comments about York. We bought a newly built house in 2006, and thought we were safe with the 10-year warranty on the compressor and 5-year warranty on rest of the parts but started having trouble with the heat pump in 2009 when it was only 3 years old; that service call was $225. This year, during one of our heat waves in August, the unit wouldn't run longer than 2 minutes. Couldn't find an authorized York serviceman in the phone book, but was able to get someone from a nearby town to come repair it same day. $600 later, after replacing the capacitor and fan motor, still trying to get reimbursed from York even though the unit is STILL UNDER WARRANTY. My advice, DON'T BUY YORK! Go with Trane or Carrier.