Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2011-02-03 Name: Fed Up
Location: Knoxville Tn

"Read the other very unsatisfied posts"
The symptoms my unit has had are identical obviously York has an issue and just does not care. Perhaps a class action law suite might peak their interest. It seems to me all the griping and complaining is not doing anything to solve our problems with their extremely poor quality products. They basically are ripping off the public and do not care. What a bunch of cowards!

Date created: 2011-02-03 Name: james
Location: texas

"Johnson controls sucks"
My unit leaks water and freon. Johnson controls sent some company that isn't even registered w the BBB. They work out of a garage. They won't replace unit. Zero support.

Date created: 2011-02-02 Name: joseph
Location: nederland texas

"Johnson controls"
If you want a system that will self destruct and leak freon into your house with no support from johnson controls, then buy a york. Even my ac company is ashamed to have sold it because the factory will not reimberse them for all the labor and parts they have dumped into this piece.

Date created: 2011-01-30 Name: Pat Llucci
Location: Columbus Oh

"Affinity sears 18 seer 10hspf"
We bought our unit in 2009, atleast 10 repair men later it is still not working properly. This unit never turns off the first two winters it turned into a very expensive block of ice beside our house. A new coil, ambeint temp sensor, mother board in the heat pump, and adjustment after adjustment it still is not working properly. Read reviews on this product before buying unless you want your electic bill to go from seventy dollars a month in the summer to five hundred and forty for one month in the winter. I have the is unit for three years and I have begged york to take the product and return my money with no luck.

Date created: 2011-01-25 Name: Lendora McMillian
Location: Supply, NC

"Worst Ever"
My advise to the thinking about buyers of a york heat pump. (don't buy one). My unit has to have work done it every year, and I, have been working out of town every since I, had the unit, until 3 years ago, so the unit was hardly used. now the compressor has gone out, and a contractor told me the part is only about 4, or 5 hundred dollars, but it will cost between $1,200.00 - $1,500.00 for the labor, and thats not including the freon to put back in it. My question is why warranty the part, and the labor will be more than what the part cost. I, think they should take all york heat pumps, and discontinue them. Quit ripping people off.

Date created: 2011-01-21 Name: MacT
Location: Victoria BC

"Follow up"
@Chase Adams: Yes I did hire a great contractor and got a 1 year warranty on the labour, so most of the work so far has been done for free. No blame there. But I agree with your point that proper installation and maintenance is critical with HPs -- more so than any other major appliance in the home. York's higher end HP's seem to work ok, but the mid-range model I have is relatively loud and has faulty components -- i.e. the unit does not defrost below 0 degrees C, but works fine in above-freezing temperature. We're going to swap out the defrost sensor with a new one and see how that works. BTW, I would't trust the word of so-called "reputable contractors" any more than heat pump manufacturers. They both have vested interests. The contractor markup on HPs is massive -- easily 200% or more -- everyone consumer should be aware of that. You should be hiring a journeyman HVAC tech to install your HP because it requires precise integration of complex systems. It's not at all like installing a gas or oil furnace. Great forum.

Date created: 2011-01-16 Name: eric

"Happy"
My unit was installed fall of 81. Replaced blower motor, had a leek. Not bad for 29 1/2 years

Date created: 2011-01-12 Name: chase adams
Location: Ladysmith, British Columbia

"Equipment and Contrators"
I just read "MacT" review. I have had a York unit in my current house for 3 years and a York unit in my previous house as well. I have had no issues with either units. I know the contrator's I received prices from offered a 1 year labour on the entire machine as well as the standard factory warranty. Yes, I did get an option for the extended parts and labour and Did purchase it. I wonder why MacT's contactor didn't give him a year warranty on the work? Did he go with a reputable company or a guy doing a side job? It's hard to judge equipment if you don't know the quality of the contactor installing. I have done my research and know all new refrigerant equipment is susceptible to issues such as reversing valves, Tx valves and compressors if common practices are not followed. I am very happy with my York unit and would recommend it to anyone.

Date created: 2011-01-10 Name: Louise
Location: California

"Heats poorly"
Bought a new unit a year ago and have needed the installers come out multiple times to fix it. Now they say it works fine. Even though it takes several hours for the house to "warm." Air coming through the vents is most times cool to the touch. Starts slightly warm then goes cool then slightly warm again. I don't see how this is energy efficient. If the house is at 65 degrees it can take several hours to get the house to 69 degrees. And once it hits the given temp, cool air then blows out. I litterally get goosebumps if I'm next to a vent with the heater on. Our energy bills have skyrocketed. We had a 30-year old Carrier prior and even on its last leg, it worked better and was cheaper to run than York. Very, very frustrated on the waste of money.

Date created: 2011-01-09 Name: Dick Arnold
Location: Canton, Ohio

"???"
I guess I'm the one person only that got a good York heat pump!!! I can't believe all the negative comments. I've had my York for 17 years, since the house was built and I can't say enough GOOD about it! I've had some repair calls on it but for a 17 year old unit, it performs beyond my expectations. I'm sure there are some common repair faults, capacitors etc and I've had to replace the fan 3 times but all in all, it's been great. last fall since I had my heating company install Zerol Ice I've been getting heat from outside temperatures as low as 15 degrees. It looks to me like most of the complaints are from people who are ignorant of the operation of a heat pump. If they expect to get HOT air from their registers, they're being sadly disappointed. Just set the thermostat at the desired temperature and forget it. It's great comfort without the low humidity from a gas furnace and it's clean.