Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2011-12-29 Name: W. Taylor
Location: NC

"Wish I had read reviews sooner."
We purchased a York hp model z with the gas furnace back up model Z, 5 years ago. Nothing but trouble from day one. Took them 2 weeks to install in the 90 degree summer. Then comes winter...1st winter okay. Next summer started service calls. Been like that ever since. Always have to take something back to the shop then order the piece. 2-3 days most of time to repair. Labor and shipping is a rip off. So why do we even need warranties? Woke up this morning with temperature 23 degrees. No heat. Just had them out to fix it 3 weeks ago. Do not buy a york unless you are filthy rich.

Date created: 2011-12-09 Name: Disatisfied Customer
Location: Lee's Summit, MO

"Here are the Facts, You Make a Decision"
E-mail to local York dealer follows: Have 5 yr old York 5 ton and 3 ton Seer 13 units. Took 2 attempts by authorized York dealer to install and wire properly. Have had twice a year maintenance by another York authorized dealer until this fall. Repair history follows: fan motor replaced on 3 ton unit some 18 months after installation, “board” replaced on 3 ton unit as well as compressor replaced on both units summer 2009, defrost panel and temp sensors replaced on both units last winter. Units are again frosting up. Have read install manual with respect to defrost cycle and it appears to me there are explicit instructions to follow in order to check out defrosting cycle operation. I would appreciate technician running through and explaining the process with me. If interested, please have service manager contact me to discuss. Thank you. "Didn't get a reply nor did I expect one.

Date created: 2011-12-05 Name: R. Nelson
Location: West Seattle

"One Year Followup"
It has now been a full year since I got rid of the oil burner and the leaking oil tank. I have just had the one year inspection on the York and all is well. I have had no problems with this York heat pump, whatsoever. Works well and is definitely efficient. We just added 500 square feet to our house. The new area is heated/cooled with a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim ductless mini-split. That unit is VERY impressive.

Date created: 2011-11-10 Name: J Smith
Location: Central, NC

"2 York Heat pumps 16 years old no problems"
I had 2 York heat pumps installed in early 1995 and they're still running great. I've had no problems other than a freon charge. I'm just wondering how much longer my luck will hold out.

Date created: 2011-10-28 Name: Mike Craig
Location: Edmond, OK

"Happy Camper"
I replaced my old HVAC unit with a York heat pump (14.5 SEER)and gas furnace. The unit has worked flawlessly for the past year. I added some ducting to increase flow to one of my rooms. The total cost for the 4 ton heat pump, gas heater and extra ducting was $9,510. This included $560 for a 10 year parts and labor warranty.

Date created: 2011-10-07 Name: Jim Wallerstedt
Location: St. Joseph, Missouri

"Money pit"
Do not buy a york. It is like flushing money done the toilet. The only person that will be happy is your repair man.

Date created: 2011-08-04 Name: J. Stockstill
Location: New Braunfels, TX

"Has Been A Reliable Heat Pump"
Our York heat pump has been pretty reliable, but we have had to have repairmen out at least once or twice a year. Our condenser fan motor burned out this week and we are getting it replaced. When it operates, it works well.

Date created: 2011-07-26 Name: Kimberly Hathcock
Location: Scottsville VA

"POOR QUALITY"
My husband is a contractor and had installed all York units. Our house is 12 years old and the upstairs and downstairs units have been nothing but trouble since year two. Many calls for needing more freon.... Many hot days w/ no ac. We have replaced parts & parts & parts. We replaced the inside unit upstairs 2 years ago. They replaced it with a "comparable" unit that ended up being one that doesn't remove the humidity so it's always very humid in our bedrooms. after paying for another unit, you'd think it would be okay. Two service calls this summer and now it will take $4500 to fix or $4600 to repair - the coil leaks again and again. all of the ones that he has put in houses are the same. One problem after another... Replacements... I believe that there should be a class action suit. We can't afford to buy another unit and knowing too well that the downstairs is acting up too, so that will have to be replaced too in the near future. bad york!

Date created: 2011-07-12 Name: William Young
Location: Mesa, AZ

"York Heat Pump is Junk!"
Junk! $400 first year repair, 2nd year $800 just for parts. Don't buy. Horrible experience.

Date created: 2011-06-07 Name: E.G.
Location: Royersford, pa

"Piece of junk!!!"
We have owned this unit for 4 years now. This past winter was a nightmare. We had huge electric bills from running on emergency heat while waiting several weeks for York to send the parts. Then they repaired it for $1000 in labor, parts were under warranty, but we had to pay for labor. Of course they had to come out at least 3-4 times & they told us that they have basically replaced everything inside the unit. Well, great! Yeah right!!! It's only 3 months later, and 90 degrees outside, and now we have NO AC!!! The unit wont turn on. So much for a brand new unit, basically! This is the worst unit EVER!!! Don't buy from this company!