Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2012-03-11 Name: T Grantham
Location: Central Texas

"York reliability and customer service stinks"
I am located near Smithville, Texas. My York 3 ton heat pump unit started having problems within 7 months after installation. The service tech (Don Chrisner) kept adding refrigerant year after year. I have had 3 leaks at the evaporator. The defrost circuit board failed once. This unit is completely unreliable. My service tech let the unit run out of warranty, knowing all along that problems existed. I have been left holding the bag. George White at Johnson Controls denies any knowledge of problems with York evaporator leakage. I believe there is a cover up involving installers and York reps denying any knowledge of inherent defects with these systems. Read some of the rest of these York reviews. You will see complaints similar to mine, over and over again, but York representatives act like they've never heard of my systems problems before. York has problems, don't make them your problems. Don't buy York! I am removing this system and replacing with Rheem or Ruud.

Date created: 2012-03-02 Name: Ray
Location: Quebec

"Service call almost every year since installation."
Costly unit bought 8 years ago. Efficient but always a problem, freon every 24 months (at least), fan motor seized and replaced, different parts replaced and recently a special 'board' that was not sending back heat demand on the furnace while on auxiliary and/or emergency heat. Over $2000 on service calls, freon and parts.

Date created: 2012-02-13 Name: r. alder
Location: ocean pines, md

"Over $4000 in repairs in ten years"
Have gone through 2 coils, circut breaker and compressor. Now it needs another coil at $2000. Not putting any more money in this sinking ship.

Date created: 2012-01-26 Name: S. Peterson
Location: Dayton, Oh

"Dual Fuel York"
Our contractor convinced us to buy a dual fuel, heat pump outdoor unit with gas furnace. For here in Ohio it's the perfect solution and cut our bills by over 50%, we only use the furnace below freezing. No problems with our York and our contractor recommended it above all others.

Date created: 2011-12-29 Name: W. Taylor
Location: NC

"Wish I had read reviews sooner."
We purchased a York hp model z with the gas furnace back up model Z, 5 years ago. Nothing but trouble from day one. Took them 2 weeks to install in the 90 degree summer. Then comes winter...1st winter okay. Next summer started service calls. Been like that ever since. Always have to take something back to the shop then order the piece. 2-3 days most of time to repair. Labor and shipping is a rip off. So why do we even need warranties? Woke up this morning with temperature 23 degrees. No heat. Just had them out to fix it 3 weeks ago. Do not buy a york unless you are filthy rich.

Date created: 2011-12-27 Name: Ken Voigt
Location: North Wales, PA

" Absolutely the worst in the business"
After replacing the compressor we had nothing but problems with stats code 4. The dealer said they could not fix the problem and I need a new unit. York customer relations did not return any of my calls. I had a third party (Trane Dealer) fix the problem with a $15 Temperature sensor which was damaged (chared) during the compressor replacement.

Date created: 2011-12-09 Name: Disatisfied Customer
Location: Lee's Summit, MO

"Here are the Facts, You Make a Decision"
E-mail to local York dealer follows: Have 5 yr old York 5 ton and 3 ton Seer 13 units. Took 2 attempts by authorized York dealer to install and wire properly. Have had twice a year maintenance by another York authorized dealer until this fall. Repair history follows: fan motor replaced on 3 ton unit some 18 months after installation, “board” replaced on 3 ton unit as well as compressor replaced on both units summer 2009, defrost panel and temp sensors replaced on both units last winter. Units are again frosting up. Have read install manual with respect to defrost cycle and it appears to me there are explicit instructions to follow in order to check out defrosting cycle operation. I would appreciate technician running through and explaining the process with me. If interested, please have service manager contact me to discuss. Thank you. "Didn't get a reply nor did I expect one.

Date created: 2011-12-05 Name: R. Nelson
Location: West Seattle

"One Year Followup"
It has now been a full year since I got rid of the oil burner and the leaking oil tank. I have just had the one year inspection on the York and all is well. I have had no problems with this York heat pump, whatsoever. Works well and is definitely efficient. We just added 500 square feet to our house. The new area is heated/cooled with a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim ductless mini-split. That unit is VERY impressive.

Date created: 2011-11-10 Name: J Smith
Location: Central, NC

"2 York Heat pumps 16 years old no problems"
I had 2 York heat pumps installed in early 1995 and they're still running great. I've had no problems other than a freon charge. I'm just wondering how much longer my luck will hold out.

Date created: 2011-10-07 Name: Jim Wallerstedt
Location: St. Joseph, Missouri

"Money pit"
Do not buy a york. It is like flushing money done the toilet. The only person that will be happy is your repair man.