Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2013-03-22 Name: Charles White
Location: Shepherdstown, WV

"Very Satisfied"
Purchased new house in 1989. Pulte had york H/Ps installed in entire development. Air handler fan motor failed in 1995. Out of warranty, $195.00 (three visits and parts)to fix then. Tech (not york certified) used a loaner (?) motor until a york replacement was received from york, took six weeks(?); but Tech strongly recommended this approach. Today 3/22/13 Air Handler controller (?) component failed. Tech due at 11:00am. I don't anticipate having to replace our system. Tech seemed to think he knew what the problem is and is going by his shop to get the parts he thinks he will need. After 23 years, six months I think this machine has served us exceptionally well. I have noted previous comments and I am sympathetic to the difficulties experienced with their YORK equipment. I attribute much of my success to being sensative to the operating parameters for the system AND having really good techs service the system every six months (yes you could say it is a religous thing). When our system was made (1989)all manufacturers talked about a maximum service life between 15-20 years. This was essentially twice as long as early consumers' experienced with the first two-three generations of H/Ps. In actual practice most manufacturers were designing for a 30 year service life (in 1989 a kwh in our area was only $.032 and now $.075). From the comments that designe objective/standard seems to have changed. I think Most likely because of the rapid change in technology, costs of manufacturing, and the rapidly rising cost of electricity make such a design horizone fruitless. I don't realy know. Just saying and offering one person's experience.

Date created: 2013-01-22 Name: B FORD
Location: Nebraska

"Do not buy York"
Replaced outside fan out of pocket before warranty up then 5 months past outside coil failes 2700 repair bill unit is junk

Date created: 2012-12-29 Name: M.Tyler
Location: Alum Creek,WV

"Very disappointed with York"
We've had our York for a little over a year and have had nothing but trouble . We've had a total of 3 ton of freon put it in. We've had a part replaced in the heat pump. Several service calls. Now,it runs constantly from auxiliary heat, back to heat every 5 minutes, even on days when it's above 50 degrees. Yet, the service guys say nothing is wrong. When the unit defrosts, it throws cold air back in thru the vents. I honestly feel I bought a piece of junk. I never had this issue with my last unit, which was a Carrier.

Date created: 2012-12-09 Name: Rod N.
Location: West Seattle, Washington

"Trouble-free and Efficient"
Our York heat pump is now two years old and we are totally satisfied with it. No repairs whatsoever. Keeps the house warm. Worked well even during a major freezing rain event last winter. Much more efficient than the oil burner that it replaced.

Date created: 2012-11-28 Name: Greg Dickson
Location: Rutledge, Ga

"Split system heat pump"
I purchased this unit new in 2008 and this is the third time it has failed. The first two times the blower motor failed in the air handler. Now I don't have a clue what is wrong with it other than I am getting a complete runaround from York and their "Authorized" service techs. My unit failed early October and I have not had it for two months now. I am on my second tech and now looking for a third. This heat pump sucks and I would not recommend York to anyone. Be careful about their service techs because I found out the hard way that some of them do this part-time and have other full-time jobs. Your satisfaction is not their priority.

Date created: 2012-11-19 Name: B. Hamilton
Location: Florida

"Heater"
This unit is a piece of scrap. After 14 months control board went out. Now 8 months later blower motor. York is a joke.

Date created: 2012-04-05 Name: J. Nikkel
Location: North Georgia

"York Excellent support"
Many poor reviews have been given on York equipment, however as I read through a lot of them, it is evident they can be attributed to poor installation and lack of integrity of the contractor and/or distributior. We have been a top level contractor offering the York brand since 2004. We switched over to the York brand because other name brands (which I will not mention here) were having a lot of problems soon after installation. York has not been without problems, as can be seen by the reviews, but I have not found any manufacture that is willing to support the product and their dealers any better than York! In 2005 they began manufacturing a coil in their Mexico plant, (which has since been brought back to the U.S.A.) When the leaks started in the coils they uncovered some tooling problems in the manufacturing process and eventually found that some special coating on the coils was causing problems also. York stepped up to the plate and offered to replace all those coils under warranty and pay the contractor for the job as well as for the lost refrigerant and parts and supplies. It is sad that many contractors were also charging the homeowners for these repairs, or not even keeping up with things enough to know what the problems were. Most of the reviews mentioning problems can be attributed to the coil problems and the resulting other failures that go along with it when not repaired properly. If proper maintenance is performed and care taken, most problems would be uncovered and could be repaired before resulting in permanent damage, no matter what brand the equipment is. The support from the contractor is the most important part of the equation when considered purchasing a new system. I have been using York equipment in my own home for 15 years. It is my sincere hope that this post will give guidance to some dissatisfied homeowners, whose problem, all too often, is lack of support from their contractor.

Date created: 2012-03-11 Name: T Grantham
Location: Central Texas

"York reliability and customer service stinks"
I am located near Smithville, Texas. My York 3 ton heat pump unit started having problems within 7 months after installation. The service tech (Don Chrisner) kept adding refrigerant year after year. I have had 3 leaks at the evaporator. The defrost circuit board failed once. This unit is completely unreliable. My service tech let the unit run out of warranty, knowing all along that problems existed. I have been left holding the bag. George White at Johnson Controls denies any knowledge of problems with York evaporator leakage. I believe there is a cover up involving installers and York reps denying any knowledge of inherent defects with these systems. Read some of the rest of these York reviews. You will see complaints similar to mine, over and over again, but York representatives act like they've never heard of my systems problems before. York has problems, don't make them your problems. Don't buy York! I am removing this system and replacing with Rheem or Ruud.

Date created: 2012-02-13 Name: r. alder
Location: ocean pines, md

"Over $4000 in repairs in ten years"
Have gone through 2 coils, circut breaker and compressor. Now it needs another coil at $2000. Not putting any more money in this sinking ship.

Date created: 2012-01-26 Name: S. Peterson
Location: Dayton, Oh

"Dual Fuel York"
Our contractor convinced us to buy a dual fuel, heat pump outdoor unit with gas furnace. For here in Ohio it's the perfect solution and cut our bills by over 50%, we only use the furnace below freezing. No problems with our York and our contractor recommended it above all others.