Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2014-05-19 Name: Carl H.
Location: Virginia Beach

"Never Again"
I have had 2 York systems and have had nothing but problems. I had a gas furnace in my primary residence and a heat pump in a rental house that is 4.5 years old. I had to replace the gas furnace fan motors 3 times and a board once over a 10 year period. The heat pump copper tubing were installed so close together that the vibration created a freon leak. Now two years later the compressor fails. That's when I woke up and said never again.

Date created: 2014-04-07 Name: r mcdowell
Location: hurst tx

"Do not buy York"
Do not buy York..purchased a heat pump in 2011 and condenser coil has failed twice in less than 3 yrs. Cost 734.00 to replace 1st time..trying to work with york to get new unit but they want me to sign a release form relinquishing my warranty rights before they will provide a new unit. I feel this is to be unfair trade practice and should be stopped immediately.

Date created: 2014-02-16 Name: HVAC Technician
Location: Orange County, CA

"Blame the technician, not the equipment!"
I've been reading through the comments, and most issues sound related to incompetent service technicians. Most issues sound related to leaks in the freon line set. I've noticed many problems with condenser fan motors failing, but there are several factors that affect it's performance. Frequency of cycles off and on; whether it's installed under trees or where water drains off roof; extra corrosion takes place near beaches; proper electrical work performed so it runs properly, condenser unit must be installed level- it also helps the fan blade spin balanced. I'm a hvac technician and I'm constantly running into terrible installations everywhere I go. Sometimes I'm amazed that some units even worked at all, like an r22 condenser running with a r410-a fan coil that had a r410- a txv still installed. All they had to do was swap out that $30 part and it would've worked fine. Most people don't know much about air conditioning, take for example the person rating York 1 star because the technician had to come out to refill the unit constantly, installing "over 3 tons of freon". Sorry, but 3 tons of freon is 80 tanks, currently worth over $25,000, whereas a 3 ton unit requires less than 1 tank. If it needs to be refilled, There was a leak when the technicians installed it. I've dealt with many different brands but my top 2 favorites are Carrier, then York. The problem is, Carrier is distancing itself from the majority of the market by requiring $100,000 a year in equipment purchases just to buy their products. They already took all middle men distributers out of the equation years ago. Out of all the years, I've only had 1 York have a failure. It was a control board on a 5-ton package unit, and since it failed within 2 years of purchase, they warrantied the parts and labor. That same unit is now going on 10 years old and running strong. Also keep in mind that NOBODY ever changes their air filters. This puts extreme strain on a A/C system (especially heat pumps), and will cause many failures and repairs in the future. The equipment is not to blame for this either. Whatever you do, NEVER buy Fujitsu! They're complete garbage!!

Date created: 2014-02-13 Name: Daniel
Location: Charlotte, NC

"I Had an Experienced Installer"
I see all the bad reviews but they all sound like they had a inexperienced or uncertified contractor. I have 2 York heat pumps that were installed in 2008 and never had any problems. Also my power bill dropped by 30%.

Date created: 2014-01-30 Name: Wolfgang muller
Location: Alexandria, Ontario

"Garbage unit"
Over the last 4years I have had nothing but problems. The unit is only 11 years old and the mother board had to be replaced 3 times in the last 3 years.. It now has to be replaced again. They are not cheap. So far I have spent more$ in repairs than the unit was worth when it was installed new. I certainly would not recommend this to anybody. My repair man also confirms that York is the worst company for repair frequency.

Date created: 2014-01-09 Name: JIM
Location: Phoenix,Arizona

"Don't do it"
I am not a happy owner of a York heat-pump I noticed most of the good reviews were from contractors who have a purpose in writing a good review. I would say why are there so many bad reviews from consumers? Not because they have a reason to hate York but a true feeling they were built incorrectly. York should be held liable for these units. One last thought: don't buy York. My unit is less then two years old nothing but trouble. I can't get parts, can't get any help from company, can't trade it in. I have a hunk of junk on my roof I bet I can't get 50 dollars for at the scape yard.

Date created: 2013-09-23 Name: Charles Turner
Location: Poteet, Texas

"ERC042S06 Heat Pump"
This unit was installed by York dealer in January 2006. In June 2011, I had to replace the outside unit fan motor. Now in September 2013, the unit has stopped cooling and the repair guy says it needs to be replaced, it's a bad unit. Naturally, it is out of warranty. It should last a lot longer than 7 years. Will I buy another York-no way!

Date created: 2013-09-08 Name: Tony Spainhour
Location: Holly Springs, NC

"Old York"
I installed a York heat pump in my house when it was built in March 1981. It still heats and cools my house as well as it did the day it was installed. I do not have routine maintenance performed in my unit and have probably never spent $500.00 on it in 32 1/2 years. Would love to be able to purchase another identical unit when it dies.

Date created: 2013-06-30 Name: Kim
Location: Nc

"York Poor"
Biggest piece of junk ever. I purchased this unit in August 2010. I have had 5 service calls on it, the unit is broke now and not sure when they will fix it. The coil broke in May, now in June the blower is broke and waiting to see when they will fix it. Two times had to wait numerous days for repairs. May 15th repair was completed May 24. I too, will probably be hiring attorney to handle this never ending stressful, expensive, and downright disgusting York Nightmare!

Date created: 2013-03-22 Name: Charles White
Location: Shepherdstown, WV

"Very Satisfied"
Purchased new house in 1989. Pulte had york H/Ps installed in entire development. Air handler fan motor failed in 1995. Out of warranty, $195.00 (three visits and parts)to fix then. Tech (not york certified) used a loaner (?) motor until a york replacement was received from york, took six weeks(?); but Tech strongly recommended this approach. Today 3/22/13 Air Handler controller (?) component failed. Tech due at 11:00am. I don't anticipate having to replace our system. Tech seemed to think he knew what the problem is and is going by his shop to get the parts he thinks he will need. After 23 years, six months I think this machine has served us exceptionally well. I have noted previous comments and I am sympathetic to the difficulties experienced with their YORK equipment. I attribute much of my success to being sensative to the operating parameters for the system AND having really good techs service the system every six months (yes you could say it is a religous thing). When our system was made (1989)all manufacturers talked about a maximum service life between 15-20 years. This was essentially twice as long as early consumers' experienced with the first two-three generations of H/Ps. In actual practice most manufacturers were designing for a 30 year service life (in 1989 a kwh in our area was only $.032 and now $.075). From the comments that designe objective/standard seems to have changed. I think Most likely because of the rapid change in technology, costs of manufacturing, and the rapidly rising cost of electricity make such a design horizone fruitless. I don't realy know. Just saying and offering one person's experience.