Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2014-10-10 Name: R. Dammers
Location: Tampa, FL

"York's inferior coils"
My units were manufactured in 2010. The aluminum alloy used to manufacture the coils is of inferior quality and is susceptible to leakage. The coil is replaced under warranty with a coil that is still of questionable quality, but is now coated. The labor costs for detecting the leakage and replacing the coil is not covered under the regular warranty policy. This results in approximately $750 to $800 in labor costs per unit to have a coil replaced. Speaking to York does not yield any compensation for the labor costs incurred, which would not have been incurred had the unit(s) been fitted with a good quality coil. It appears to be an industry-wide issue. The dealers I have spoken to are all dealing with similar complaints. Buyer beware.

Date created: 2014-09-30 Name: G LAKE
Location: Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada

"Heat pumps"
I find the unit to be very efficient, with a powerful blower system to deliver heating and cooling very quickly. I have used York as a central air conditioner for 25 years without any problem. When it finally died, I decided to use York again as a heat pump system and have been extremely pleased with its performance since installation in July 2013.

Date created: 2014-09-06 Name: T. Risinger
Location: Sargent, TX

"A/C & heat equipment"
When our old a/c went out in the Texas heat, Murray Mechanical showed up quickly & installed our new York heat pump. The unit works great, but imagine our surprise when we got our first electric bill. It dropped almost in half! Would highly recommend York & Murray Mechanical again & again.

Date created: 2014-08-30 Name: Patricia Smalley
Location: Henderson, NV

"Complaint"
We purchased a 3 1/2 ton York AC unit in March 2013. Yesterday it quit blowing cold air. The company that installed it was on vacation -- they told me to call a tech and then hung up! Had a licensed company come to diagnose the problem! The copper tube was leaking & all Freon except 1 pound was left!! It had to be welded & freon added cost of $872.00 including labor! Is this a factory defect or did installer make errors? Please advise as this was only 1 1/2 yrs old.

Date created: 2014-08-26 Name: James Fortney
Location: Louisville, Kentucky

"Very quiet"
Very quiet inside and outside.

Date created: 2014-08-22 Name: John Clark
Location: Brawley, CA

"Very noisy, but seems to cool well"
Unit sounds like a big truck starting up...very noisy...seems to cool well. I had just put over $600 in my previous unit (purchased from the same contractor) with no guarantee that it would make it through the summer. ( like a week previous to buying this one) I feel I should have some credit from them at least for the new parts they put in my old one since they will use them again. I will probably find another ac company to do service on this new unit.

Date created: 2014-05-19 Name: Carl H.
Location: Virginia Beach

"Never Again"
I have had 2 York systems and have had nothing but problems. I had a gas furnace in my primary residence and a heat pump in a rental house that is 4.5 years old. I had to replace the gas furnace fan motors 3 times and a board once over a 10 year period. The heat pump copper tubing were installed so close together that the vibration created a freon leak. Now two years later the compressor fails. That's when I woke up and said never again.

Date created: 2014-04-07 Name: r mcdowell
Location: hurst tx

"Do not buy York"
Do not buy York..purchased a heat pump in 2011 and condenser coil has failed twice in less than 3 yrs. Cost 734.00 to replace 1st time..trying to work with york to get new unit but they want me to sign a release form relinquishing my warranty rights before they will provide a new unit. I feel this is to be unfair trade practice and should be stopped immediately.

Date created: 2014-02-16 Name: HVAC Technician
Location: Orange County, CA

"Blame the technician, not the equipment!"
I've been reading through the comments, and most issues sound related to incompetent service technicians. Most issues sound related to leaks in the freon line set. I've noticed many problems with condenser fan motors failing, but there are several factors that affect it's performance. Frequency of cycles off and on; whether it's installed under trees or where water drains off roof; extra corrosion takes place near beaches; proper electrical work performed so it runs properly, condenser unit must be installed level- it also helps the fan blade spin balanced. I'm a hvac technician and I'm constantly running into terrible installations everywhere I go. Sometimes I'm amazed that some units even worked at all, like an r22 condenser running with a r410-a fan coil that had a r410- a txv still installed. All they had to do was swap out that $30 part and it would've worked fine. Most people don't know much about air conditioning, take for example the person rating York 1 star because the technician had to come out to refill the unit constantly, installing "over 3 tons of freon". Sorry, but 3 tons of freon is 80 tanks, currently worth over $25,000, whereas a 3 ton unit requires less than 1 tank. If it needs to be refilled, There was a leak when the technicians installed it. I've dealt with many different brands but my top 2 favorites are Carrier, then York. The problem is, Carrier is distancing itself from the majority of the market by requiring $100,000 a year in equipment purchases just to buy their products. They already took all middle men distributers out of the equation years ago. Out of all the years, I've only had 1 York have a failure. It was a control board on a 5-ton package unit, and since it failed within 2 years of purchase, they warrantied the parts and labor. That same unit is now going on 10 years old and running strong. Also keep in mind that NOBODY ever changes their air filters. This puts extreme strain on a A/C system (especially heat pumps), and will cause many failures and repairs in the future. The equipment is not to blame for this either. Whatever you do, NEVER buy Fujitsu! They're complete garbage!!

Date created: 2014-02-13 Name: Daniel
Location: Charlotte, NC

"I Had an Experienced Installer"
I see all the bad reviews but they all sound like they had a inexperienced or uncertified contractor. I have 2 York heat pumps that were installed in 2008 and never had any problems. Also my power bill dropped by 30%.