Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2014-08-30 Name: Patricia Smalley
Location: Henderson, NV

"Complaint"
We purchased a 3 1/2 ton York AC unit in March 2013. Yesterday it quit blowing cold air. The company that installed it was on vacation -- they told me to call a tech and then hung up! Had a licensed company come to diagnose the problem! The copper tube was leaking & all Freon except 1 pound was left!! It had to be welded & freon added cost of $872.00 including labor! Is this a factory defect or did installer make errors? Please advise as this was only 1 1/2 yrs old.

Date created: 2014-08-26 Name: James Fortney
Location: Louisville, Kentucky

"Very quiet"
Very quiet inside and outside.

Date created: 2014-08-22 Name: John Clark
Location: Brawley, CA

"Very noisy, but seems to cool well"
Unit sounds like a big truck starting up...very noisy...seems to cool well. I had just put over $600 in my previous unit (purchased from the same contractor) with no guarantee that it would make it through the summer. ( like a week previous to buying this one) I feel I should have some credit from them at least for the new parts they put in my old one since they will use them again. I will probably find another ac company to do service on this new unit.

Date created: 2014-05-19 Name: Carl H.
Location: Virginia Beach

"Never Again"
I have had 2 York systems and have had nothing but problems. I had a gas furnace in my primary residence and a heat pump in a rental house that is 4.5 years old. I had to replace the gas furnace fan motors 3 times and a board once over a 10 year period. The heat pump copper tubing were installed so close together that the vibration created a freon leak. Now two years later the compressor fails. That's when I woke up and said never again.

Date created: 2014-04-07 Name: r mcdowell
Location: hurst tx

"Do not buy York"
Do not buy York..purchased a heat pump in 2011 and condenser coil has failed twice in less than 3 yrs. Cost 734.00 to replace 1st time..trying to work with york to get new unit but they want me to sign a release form relinquishing my warranty rights before they will provide a new unit. I feel this is to be unfair trade practice and should be stopped immediately.

Date created: 2014-02-16 Name: HVAC Technician
Location: Orange County, CA

"Blame the technician, not the equipment!"
I've been reading through the comments, and most issues sound related to incompetent service technicians. Most issues sound related to leaks in the freon line set. I've noticed many problems with condenser fan motors failing, but there are several factors that affect it's performance. Frequency of cycles off and on; whether it's installed under trees or where water drains off roof; extra corrosion takes place near beaches; proper electrical work performed so it runs properly, condenser unit must be installed level- it also helps the fan blade spin balanced. I'm a hvac technician and I'm constantly running into terrible installations everywhere I go. Sometimes I'm amazed that some units even worked at all, like an r22 condenser running with a r410-a fan coil that had a r410- a txv still installed. All they had to do was swap out that $30 part and it would've worked fine. Most people don't know much about air conditioning, take for example the person rating York 1 star because the technician had to come out to refill the unit constantly, installing "over 3 tons of freon". Sorry, but 3 tons of freon is 80 tanks, currently worth over $25,000, whereas a 3 ton unit requires less than 1 tank. If it needs to be refilled, There was a leak when the technicians installed it. I've dealt with many different brands but my top 2 favorites are Carrier, then York. The problem is, Carrier is distancing itself from the majority of the market by requiring $100,000 a year in equipment purchases just to buy their products. They already took all middle men distributers out of the equation years ago. Out of all the years, I've only had 1 York have a failure. It was a control board on a 5-ton package unit, and since it failed within 2 years of purchase, they warrantied the parts and labor. That same unit is now going on 10 years old and running strong. Also keep in mind that NOBODY ever changes their air filters. This puts extreme strain on a A/C system (especially heat pumps), and will cause many failures and repairs in the future. The equipment is not to blame for this either. Whatever you do, NEVER buy Fujitsu! They're complete garbage!!

Date created: 2014-02-13 Name: Daniel
Location: Charlotte, NC

"I Had an Experienced Installer"
I see all the bad reviews but they all sound like they had a inexperienced or uncertified contractor. I have 2 York heat pumps that were installed in 2008 and never had any problems. Also my power bill dropped by 30%.

Date created: 2014-01-30 Name: Wolfgang muller
Location: Alexandria, Ontario

"Garbage unit"
Over the last 4years I have had nothing but problems. The unit is only 11 years old and the mother board had to be replaced 3 times in the last 3 years.. It now has to be replaced again. They are not cheap. So far I have spent more$ in repairs than the unit was worth when it was installed new. I certainly would not recommend this to anybody. My repair man also confirms that York is the worst company for repair frequency.

Date created: 2014-01-09 Name: JIM
Location: Phoenix,Arizona

"Don't do it"
I am not a happy owner of a York heat-pump I noticed most of the good reviews were from contractors who have a purpose in writing a good review. I would say why are there so many bad reviews from consumers? Not because they have a reason to hate York but a true feeling they were built incorrectly. York should be held liable for these units. One last thought: don't buy York. My unit is less then two years old nothing but trouble. I can't get parts, can't get any help from company, can't trade it in. I have a hunk of junk on my roof I bet I can't get 50 dollars for at the scape yard.

Date created: 2013-09-23 Name: Charles Turner
Location: Poteet, Texas

"ERC042S06 Heat Pump"
This unit was installed by York dealer in January 2006. In June 2011, I had to replace the outside unit fan motor. Now in September 2013, the unit has stopped cooling and the repair guy says it needs to be replaced, it's a bad unit. Naturally, it is out of warranty. It should last a lot longer than 7 years. Will I buy another York-no way!