Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2008-12-31 Name: Gary E.
Location: Newburgh, IN

"York Heat Pump"
I have a 3 ½ ton heat pump unit vintage 1986. The unit has worked remarkably well from a maintenance standpoint ( we don’t believe in yearly check ups from “service folks”; they chew into the “savings” in running a heat pump ....anyway, what can go wrong in a closed Freon system? ). For the time we have owned the unit, we had to only replace the suction accumulator and the outside unit breaker assembly. However, our major aggravation had been the condensate drain pan system….for some very odd reason, we experience “spray-over” of condensate where a majority of condensate never reaches the pan resulting in water draining into the base of the fan assembly. We had to get creative and make a pan to catch the over-spray along with siphon system going to a 1 gallon jug. Since we like to keep things running as long as possible, it has worked to an extent. We are about to retire the unit since we are now having issues with defrosting; we believe from those we have talked to that the part of the York Guard motherboard may have bit the dust; $1000 fix- it bill doesn’t excite me much for a unit this old. We may purchased another York once we determine the condensate accumulator issue has been addressed………..

Date created: 2008-12-27 Name: Patrick Goodman
Location: Glasgow, Kentucky

"Avoid York"
I purchased this unit in June 2007 . The control board in the air handler had to be rewired 09/07. In Nov 07 the heat pump turned into a huge ice block ,replaced defrost board . Dec 07 The compressor shaft broke . York would not replace the heat pump and would only allow a warranty on the compressor itself . The only part was in Denver and they would not overnight the order unless I paid for it .We ran emergency heat for 3 weeks resulting in a huge electric bill . Now 12/25/08 The replaced comp. has locked up .Once again we are running on emergency heat until I can get a repairman out to diagnose and repair . If history repeats itself I will have to stay on the phone for hours and wait for weeks for the repair parts .I purchased this unit thinking I was getting a top quality part and if I did have problems they would be worked thru quickly . So far they have wanted to repair the cheapest way possible resulting in even more problems down the road.

Date created: 2008-12-14 Name: Patrick
Location: [email protected]

"4 months old and a big chunk of ice..."
I bought this system and within four months the system is not producing warm air even in 55 degree weather. It never turns off and it has recently turned into a chunk of ice. I don't get it, I will write another review after I see how there service is to fix it. Hopefully it is better than the installation service.

Date created: 2008-11-23 Name: Phill
Location: Knoxville, TN

"York is junk"
Don't do it don't buy york. I had a new system put in place when I bought my house less than 2 years ago the unit iced up first time used then it was low on coolant from the factory. Now less than 2 years old the compressor is shot. Poor quaility products seem to have become the american way. No wonder american companies are going under.

Date created: 2008-11-15 Name: Keith

"Good equipment"
I have installed a lot of York equipment, they are a good product.

Date created: 2008-09-27 Name: Susie
Location: Norman, OK

"York heat pump"
We have had little more than trouble with this system since it was installed. Only 3 years old and the compressor and control board have been out twice. No expansion valve in the initial unit. Looses Freon. We will not purchase this brand again.

Date created: 2008-09-24 Name: K Paul

"Ac leaks"
I have a 3 Ton A/C heat pump that I have had to replace the a coil twice due to it leaking. Neither time was under warranty. Even working with York warranty dept and receipts for service less that 1 year between failures. not covered. Not Happy.

Date created: 2008-06-16 Name: M Davis
Location: Maryland

"2 York Heat Pumps"
One unit died with a leak after 12 years, the second is going strong after 18 years. Only repair on the 18-year-old unit was a fan motor in the outside unit.

Date created: 2008-06-09 Name: R Elliott
Location: Snohomish, WA

"York has worked fine"
In 20 years I have had one problem with this unit. At about 10 years I had to replace the fan. We just had it serviced and there are three minor items that need attention.

Date created: 2008-06-05 Name: Stan Okon
Location: Merritt Island, Fl

"Homeowner"
I have had just normal maintenance required over the time frame. Replacement of condensers and electrical relays due to power interruptions caused by lightning. After about year 9, yearly freon toping off was required. Cooling seemed to degrade after year 11 and finally would not cool below 78 degrees. The system has never required any major component replacement. The unit finally died on year 26.