Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2009-10-16 Name: Steve Kurczi

"Don't Buy A York"
Have had problems with our York heat pump from day one! Coil freezing up, and the unit almost never stops running. Had service out many times, even called different people out to fix, but things never got any better. Now its 50 degrees outside and only 63 in the house,and the heat pump has ice on the coil outside.It has ran almost 24 hours a day. Service was here yesterday, they say I need to replace the unit, now they claim it has a blockedge some where inside the outside unit. Looking at the reviews of all other heat pump makers, I don't have any clue of what kind to buy.It seems like that all have some problems.

Date created: 2009-07-22 Name: Ralf Kramden

"Review"
10 seer York heat pump installed new when house built in 1992. 2 air handler circuit boards and one fan motor in that time. Drain pan rusted out but contractor installed supplementary pan underneath. a few other minor repairs here and there over 17 years plus occasional freon. Main problem now is auxilliary heat has started coming on while in cooling mode which is probably related to the circuit board again. Other wise this 17 year old unit still cools and heats great.

Date created: 2009-05-27 Name: Cindy

"Unhappy with York"
Bought this York unit after lightning hit the old unit. This unit has been a problem since day one. Loud, doesn't heat or cool, needs freon constantly and now, after having a repairman "fix the leak" agian to the tune of almost $300, the compressor went out. Never getting a York again.

Date created: 2009-04-30 Name: YORK
Location: PA

"Nightmare"
The system came with the new house from lts in pa.this system never worked correctly from the beginning.1st problem the defrost board had to be replaced.2nd problem was the main blower motor seized.3rd was the thermostat.4th back up heat not. working 2 wires were pulled from the relays.liquid line sensor not reading needed replacing.the temperature sensor had to be moved.5th problem refigerant low,main coil had to be replaced.6th problem the compressor has to be replaced at the very economical cost of over 1300.00, this on a unit that is less than 3 years old.i have to admit the unit makes a beautiful ice sculpture on the numerous times that it is a block of ice!my hvac contractor hannaberry is going to contact york to pay part of cost. I feel that they should pay for all of it .I put in a call to york, I am waiting for a reply.i will update results.they can either stand behind their product or I will have to rip out the system and put a more reliable product in .whatever you do dont let lts builders saddle you with the same nightmare.reading the reviews on this forum ,it seems to me that we would have a pretty valid claim for a class action lawsuit.if you would like to discuss this my email. is [email protected] at the very least I think that our issues would get a more satisfactory resolution. lets not take substandard treatment in silence.sorry about the length of this post.but be forewarned!

Date created: 2009-04-27 Name: YORK

"Very Durable"
I bought my York heat pump back in 1983. It is still going strong after 26 years. But now, needing a much more efficient unit, I'm looking at replacing it. If I were rating it after only 5 years I would have given it a "somewhat satisfied" rating as the heating performance has always been somewhat lacking; but given it's logevity and low maintenance, I find it difficult to complain at all.

Date created: 2009-04-13 Name: YORK

"Non Functional Unit"
Inverary Ontario 16 seer unit installed and turned on. Circuit board failure in two days. On emergency heat mode for a week before repair. Unit up and runnng. Complained unit running constantly.Was told they run almost 20 hours a day. Discovered that the refrigeration cycle had locked on. The unit only shut down when it froze off. Electric furnace ran steady to compensate for air conditioning. Back on emergency heat. From Dec 15,2008 to now April 13,2009 unit still not operational.They have no idea when repair parts will be available.

Date created: 2009-04-08 Name: YORK

"Don't buy York"
Unit ruptured a pipe inside the outdoor unit. Warranty was supposed to be 5 years but the repairman (Rural in Raleigh nc) said he contacted the factory and tey would not cover any of the cost !!! I am out $600.00 and will never buy York !!!!!

Date created: 2009-03-04 Name: Mark
Location: Inman, SC

"DON'T BUY A YORK"
The 3 ton unit came with the house. We have 3 zones that never has worked properly(installers fought). We have had the unit worked on at least twice or more every year. Not major cost, but a little at a time adds up. It always quits working on the coldest and hottest days. How does it know when to quit, I really think it is just possessed. We will never own another demon, I mean York.

Date created: 2009-02-26 Name: R. Auxier
Location: SW Florida

"The old ones are the best"
The unit was new in 1980 minimal repair, functioned well and economically only reason replacing Florida insurance will not insure units over 15 yr.

Date created: 2009-01-12 Name: P. Clause
Location: Princeton, IN

"Find another unit"
Installed a York heat pump in my new home. Compressor went out after one year, in August. The compressor was covered under warranty but had to pay express shipping to get the part here and labor to the tune of $750. One year later, the compressor went out again. Another $600 - didn't pay express shipping this time because it wasn't as hot outside. 8 months later and a capacitor went out. Spent one month on emergency heat and had $650 electric bill. Capacitor replaced and 2 days later something else has gone out and I am back to emergency heat. Seriously considering replacing the whole unit and not with York!