Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2008-10-23 Name: D.McLeod
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

"An Abolute Nightmare"
Had a 3-ton York Stealth heat pump installed during the summer of 2003 by a local York dealer who assured us that the unit would be capable of handling our winter heating requirements as it was the "top of the line" and very latest technology. The pump has worked only reasonably well for about 16 months out of the five year period. The fancy compressor failed in year two, coolant leaks abound, valves and run capacitor have been replaced and now the replacement compressor is gone again. So far this thing has cost me about $15,000.00. I have been battling with the regional York representatives and York's parent company, Johnson Controls but it has been a complete wall of silence until I wrote to a Vice-President at Johnson Controls. In early September, the senior technician for the York representative advised that agreement had been reached to completely replace the entire unit (outside and inside) as the "Stealth" model has been discontinued (I can understand why). As of this date, I'm still waiting and now they are back-pedaling and saying they are thinking of replacing the inside coil only. Go figure. I would not wish this brand on my worst enemy.

Date created: 2008-09-27 Name: Susie
Location: Norman, OK

"York heat pump"
We have had little more than trouble with this system since it was installed. Only 3 years old and the compressor and control board have been out twice. No expansion valve in the initial unit. Looses Freon. We will not purchase this brand again.

Date created: 2008-09-24 Name: K Paul

"Ac leaks"
I have a 3 Ton A/C heat pump that I have had to replace the a coil twice due to it leaking. Neither time was under warranty. Even working with York warranty dept and receipts for service less that 1 year between failures. not covered. Not Happy.

Date created: 2008-06-16 Name: M Davis
Location: Maryland

"2 York Heat Pumps"
One unit died with a leak after 12 years, the second is going strong after 18 years. Only repair on the 18-year-old unit was a fan motor in the outside unit.

Date created: 2008-06-09 Name: R Elliott
Location: Snohomish, WA

"York has worked fine"
In 20 years I have had one problem with this unit. At about 10 years I had to replace the fan. We just had it serviced and there are three minor items that need attention.

Date created: 2008-06-05 Name: Stan Okon
Location: Merritt Island, Fl

"Homeowner"
I have had just normal maintenance required over the time frame. Replacement of condensers and electrical relays due to power interruptions caused by lightning. After about year 9, yearly freon toping off was required. Cooling seemed to degrade after year 11 and finally would not cool below 78 degrees. The system has never required any major component replacement. The unit finally died on year 26.

Date created: 2008-04-22 Name: S. Robertson
Location: Splendora, TX

I have had a string of problems with this unit. Within 1 yr the a coil and blower were replaced. They were under warranty but I still had to pay labor. Then within a year from that the a coil had to be replaced again. York had now redesigned the a coil with some kind of coating. Then another blower went out around 2-1/2 yrs. I had a capacitor go out, which I understand that's not York's fault, but now the a coil is leaking again. I don't believe I will buy another one - ever!

Date created: 2008-04-21 Name: Doug Thies
Location: Georgetown, TX

Our 4 ton York has been fairly dependable...no coolant leaks, original compressor still intact, etc. The inside blower motor and outside fan have both been replaced. The biggest pain has been the evaporator coil draining system; every year now I have to take off the front panel and clean out the rust in the drain pan with bleach. I've been told by service personnel that York used to build a good system (excellent compressor), but the newer systems are not as reliable.

Date created: 2007-06-10 Name: W. Jones
Location: virginia

This is a piece of junk. I have been in my home for 6 yrs now. First the unit started leaking freon out of the rusted out inner coil. I had an electric bill of $680 this winter. Thats how I found out I had a problem. Because this is a 10 seer, the coil is no longer made. Then the compressor shorted out. Now I have to have the inside and outside units replaced. I will never have YORK again.