Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2009-12-23 Name: L

"York Heat Pumps"
I have had some problems with the two units we have (3 ton 18 seer and 2 ton 15 seer). Had to have both coils replaced. They leaked. Replacement was no charge. While dealer was here, they also updated the circuit board with the latest version board. Again no charge. Glad I have a dealer that stands behind their products and customers. As a side note, Johnson Controls purchased York last year and closed down the manufacturing factory in Mexico. All coils and other parts are now made and tested in USA. They even look better quality. Even with the issues I have had, I would purchase again since these heat and cool very well. My two units replaced the 10 year old Tranes the builder installed which were failing fast.

Date created: 2009-12-16 Name: Mike Sigmon

"Dont buy one"
I bought a new home with a York heat pump and have spent several thousand dollars having it worked on. I wouldn't recommend a York to anyone.

Date created: 2009-12-09 Name: G. Jernigan

"York saves money"
Had a York 3-ton 18 seer heat pump installed in my house two years ago. Since then my power bill has went down to 30%. Unit is very quiet. You have to put your hands on it to see if its running. Would and have recommended this unit to friends and family.

Date created: 2009-12-08 Name: James Mottley

"Parts"
One of the electric element relays gave up the ghost on my indoor unit last year and I couldn't locate a replacement part number by contacting my local dealer. I was told to schedule a service call instead. They couldn't sell me any parts! I called York and they told me the same thing! Finally, I was able to convince a parts dealer to give me the part number after making numerous long-distance calls and found the relay on line from an HVAC parts distributor but this small relay cost me $65! Once the new relay was in my hands, I saw the manufacturers part number (not on original part) and checked with an electronics supplier and found the same part for less than $6! Thanks for helping me out York! Also, the outside compressor coils usually freeze up on cold humid nights so I have to set the defrost timer on 30 minute defrost. Ordinarily, I set the timer for 60 minutes defrost and then it still cycles the defrost when there's no ice. This defrost system wastes a lot of energy, and I know I won't be getting any help from York to resolve this issue! Thanks, York!

Date created: 2009-11-24 Name: Pete

"4 years and 2 motor fan"
Got this hp in nov 2006, cost 14000$ but got a 10 year waranty on it.. The main compressor fan froze in july 2007..(yup less then a year after instalation..) bow in november 2009 again, same fan ,same problem, the worst thing are the dealers, they are told that the problem is the fan, still they comme charge you for the damn diagnostic,then they tell you that they will have to come back, how may days of work will i have to loose to make this POS work? never again York, never again Hydro comfort plus

Date created: 2009-10-25 Name: Jeff

"Mr."
My unit is 4 years old and I've had 1 fan motor and two blower motors fail on the unit. The blower motors give the house a nice burning oder after it starts. York is very unreliable.

Date created: 2009-10-16 Name: Steve Kurczi

"Don't Buy A York"
Have had problems with our York heat pump from day one! Coil freezing up, and the unit almost never stops running. Had service out many times, even called different people out to fix, but things never got any better. Now its 50 degrees outside and only 63 in the house,and the heat pump has ice on the coil outside.It has ran almost 24 hours a day. Service was here yesterday, they say I need to replace the unit, now they claim it has a blockedge some where inside the outside unit. Looking at the reviews of all other heat pump makers, I don't have any clue of what kind to buy.It seems like that all have some problems.

Date created: 2009-07-22 Name: Ralf Kramden

"Review"
10 seer York heat pump installed new when house built in 1992. 2 air handler circuit boards and one fan motor in that time. Drain pan rusted out but contractor installed supplementary pan underneath. a few other minor repairs here and there over 17 years plus occasional freon. Main problem now is auxilliary heat has started coming on while in cooling mode which is probably related to the circuit board again. Other wise this 17 year old unit still cools and heats great.

Date created: 2009-05-27 Name: Cindy

"Unhappy with York"
Bought this York unit after lightning hit the old unit. This unit has been a problem since day one. Loud, doesn't heat or cool, needs freon constantly and now, after having a repairman "fix the leak" agian to the tune of almost $300, the compressor went out. Never getting a York again.

Date created: 2009-04-30 Name: YORK
Location: PA

"Nightmare"
The system came with the new house from lts in pa.this system never worked correctly from the beginning.1st problem the defrost board had to be replaced.2nd problem was the main blower motor seized.3rd was the thermostat.4th back up heat not. working 2 wires were pulled from the relays.liquid line sensor not reading needed replacing.the temperature sensor had to be moved.5th problem refigerant low,main coil had to be replaced.6th problem the compressor has to be replaced at the very economical cost of over 1300.00, this on a unit that is less than 3 years old.i have to admit the unit makes a beautiful ice sculpture on the numerous times that it is a block of ice!my hvac contractor hannaberry is going to contact york to pay part of cost. I feel that they should pay for all of it .I put in a call to york, I am waiting for a reply.i will update results.they can either stand behind their product or I will have to rip out the system and put a more reliable product in .whatever you do dont let lts builders saddle you with the same nightmare.reading the reviews on this forum ,it seems to me that we would have a pretty valid claim for a class action lawsuit.if you would like to discuss this my email. is [email protected] at the very least I think that our issues would get a more satisfactory resolution. lets not take substandard treatment in silence.sorry about the length of this post.but be forewarned!