Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2009-04-27 Name: YORK

"Very Durable"
I bought my York heat pump back in 1983. It is still going strong after 26 years. But now, needing a much more efficient unit, I'm looking at replacing it. If I were rating it after only 5 years I would have given it a "somewhat satisfied" rating as the heating performance has always been somewhat lacking; but given it's logevity and low maintenance, I find it difficult to complain at all.

Date created: 2009-04-13 Name: YORK

"Non Functional Unit"
Inverary Ontario 16 seer unit installed and turned on. Circuit board failure in two days. On emergency heat mode for a week before repair. Unit up and runnng. Complained unit running constantly.Was told they run almost 20 hours a day. Discovered that the refrigeration cycle had locked on. The unit only shut down when it froze off. Electric furnace ran steady to compensate for air conditioning. Back on emergency heat. From Dec 15,2008 to now April 13,2009 unit still not operational.They have no idea when repair parts will be available.

Date created: 2009-04-08 Name: YORK

"Don't buy York"
Unit ruptured a pipe inside the outdoor unit. Warranty was supposed to be 5 years but the repairman (Rural in Raleigh nc) said he contacted the factory and tey would not cover any of the cost !!! I am out $600.00 and will never buy York !!!!!

Date created: 2009-03-04 Name: Mark
Location: Inman, SC

"DON'T BUY A YORK"
The 3 ton unit came with the house. We have 3 zones that never has worked properly(installers fought). We have had the unit worked on at least twice or more every year. Not major cost, but a little at a time adds up. It always quits working on the coldest and hottest days. How does it know when to quit, I really think it is just possessed. We will never own another demon, I mean York.

Date created: 2009-02-26 Name: R. Auxier
Location: SW Florida

"The old ones are the best"
The unit was new in 1980 minimal repair, functioned well and economically only reason replacing Florida insurance will not insure units over 15 yr.

Date created: 2009-01-12 Name: P. Clause
Location: Princeton, IN

"Find another unit"
Installed a York heat pump in my new home. Compressor went out after one year, in August. The compressor was covered under warranty but had to pay express shipping to get the part here and labor to the tune of $750. One year later, the compressor went out again. Another $600 - didn't pay express shipping this time because it wasn't as hot outside. 8 months later and a capacitor went out. Spent one month on emergency heat and had $650 electric bill. Capacitor replaced and 2 days later something else has gone out and I am back to emergency heat. Seriously considering replacing the whole unit and not with York!

Date created: 2008-12-31 Name: Gary E.
Location: Newburgh, IN

"York Heat Pump"
I have a 3 ½ ton heat pump unit vintage 1986. The unit has worked remarkably well from a maintenance standpoint ( we don’t believe in yearly check ups from “service folks”; they chew into the “savings” in running a heat pump ....anyway, what can go wrong in a closed Freon system? ). For the time we have owned the unit, we had to only replace the suction accumulator and the outside unit breaker assembly. However, our major aggravation had been the condensate drain pan system….for some very odd reason, we experience “spray-over” of condensate where a majority of condensate never reaches the pan resulting in water draining into the base of the fan assembly. We had to get creative and make a pan to catch the over-spray along with siphon system going to a 1 gallon jug. Since we like to keep things running as long as possible, it has worked to an extent. We are about to retire the unit since we are now having issues with defrosting; we believe from those we have talked to that the part of the York Guard motherboard may have bit the dust; $1000 fix- it bill doesn’t excite me much for a unit this old. We may purchased another York once we determine the condensate accumulator issue has been addressed………..

Date created: 2008-12-27 Name: Patrick Goodman
Location: Glasgow, Kentucky

"Avoid York"
I purchased this unit in June 2007 . The control board in the air handler had to be rewired 09/07. In Nov 07 the heat pump turned into a huge ice block ,replaced defrost board . Dec 07 The compressor shaft broke . York would not replace the heat pump and would only allow a warranty on the compressor itself . The only part was in Denver and they would not overnight the order unless I paid for it .We ran emergency heat for 3 weeks resulting in a huge electric bill . Now 12/25/08 The replaced comp. has locked up .Once again we are running on emergency heat until I can get a repairman out to diagnose and repair . If history repeats itself I will have to stay on the phone for hours and wait for weeks for the repair parts .I purchased this unit thinking I was getting a top quality part and if I did have problems they would be worked thru quickly . So far they have wanted to repair the cheapest way possible resulting in even more problems down the road.

Date created: 2008-12-14 Name: Patrick
Location: cbus_heythere@yahoo.com

"4 months old and a big chunk of ice..."
I bought this system and within four months the system is not producing warm air even in 55 degree weather. It never turns off and it has recently turned into a chunk of ice. I don't get it, I will write another review after I see how there service is to fix it. Hopefully it is better than the installation service.

Date created: 2008-11-23 Name: Phill
Location: Knoxville, TN

"York is junk"
Don't do it don't buy york. I had a new system put in place when I bought my house less than 2 years ago the unit iced up first time used then it was low on coolant from the factory. Now less than 2 years old the compressor is shot. Poor quaility products seem to have become the american way. No wonder american companies are going under.