Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2010-02-03 Name: J. Kirkwd

"Sr village"
After moving into a new unit after three years, I just had to spend $457.16 to replace the outside coil. While Yorkaire has a warranty on the coil part, I had to pay for the freon that all leaked out and the freight charge to get the part. You get no satisfaction when talking to the company as that is just their policy. I had a Trane at my former home for 25 years and spent less than $100 for repairs in that time.

Date created: 2010-01-31 Name: Taylors HVACR

"Owner"
I'm a HVACR contractor and have installed York products. They have a good name but poor quality and factory back up. Several complaints I saw here were for low freon. They had a run of bad indoor coils. I have about 12 to replace. York bought Coleman in the 90's. Coleman frhs htp has been in my home 17yrs. 14 seer 9.0 hspf. After York bought Coleman, I had several factory issues. Went to Rheem. Tried York again 02-05 using Stealth htp. It was ok. Johnson controls bought York and same old song. Quality issues and no factory responsibility. As I stated on Rheem site, having a good contractor who sizes new/replacement equip. by doing manual "j" and designing correctly sized duct work is the first thing that needs to be done. No manufactures equip well perform satisfactorily if this isn't done.

Date created: 2010-01-05 Name: C. Doyle

"Junk would be a compliment"
I replaced both dual units in my house with new York Units. Wish I could say my experiences were better than everyone else but that is not the case. The latest this week is both coils in the inside units have to be replaced. In the less than 2 years that I have owned the units, I have probably had over a dozen service calls. One of the outside units was defective on the day it was installed. Must have been a warning sign. The company we purchased them through has been good about servicing the units (probably because they have a 2 year money back return policy). Getting ready to exercise my options, taking the cash and going for a different unit. Had American Standard before and I never had a problem with it. Should have taken it with me when I moved.

Date created: 2010-01-03 Name: L. Keith

"Unsatisfied Customer"
Absolutely horrible. Purchased a new home with unit already in place. 1st year warranty replaced compressor. Lost count on 6 years of capacitors. There has not been one year that the cooling has made it through an entire summer without a problem. Just went through a summer with two repairs. During the 29 degree night, the unit stopped heating. The unit is running constantly. It is a one big pile of junk! The York Rep was called by the local repairman & was going to stop by our home to look at the unit in 2003. We are still waiting for him.

Date created: 2009-12-23 Name: L

"York Heat Pumps"
I have had some problems with the two units we have (3 ton 18 seer and 2 ton 15 seer). Had to have both coils replaced. They leaked. Replacement was no charge. While dealer was here, they also updated the circuit board with the latest version board. Again no charge. Glad I have a dealer that stands behind their products and customers. As a side note, Johnson Controls purchased York last year and closed down the manufacturing factory in Mexico. All coils and other parts are now made and tested in USA. They even look better quality. Even with the issues I have had, I would purchase again since these heat and cool very well. My two units replaced the 10 year old Tranes the builder installed which were failing fast.

Date created: 2009-12-16 Name: Mike Sigmon

"Dont buy one"
I bought a new home with a York heat pump and have spent several thousand dollars having it worked on. I wouldn't recommend a York to anyone.

Date created: 2009-12-09 Name: G. Jernigan

"York saves money"
Had a York 3-ton 18 seer heat pump installed in my house two years ago. Since then my power bill has went down to 30%. Unit is very quiet. You have to put your hands on it to see if its running. Would and have recommended this unit to friends and family.

Date created: 2009-12-08 Name: James Mottley

"Parts"
One of the electric element relays gave up the ghost on my indoor unit last year and I couldn't locate a replacement part number by contacting my local dealer. I was told to schedule a service call instead. They couldn't sell me any parts! I called York and they told me the same thing! Finally, I was able to convince a parts dealer to give me the part number after making numerous long-distance calls and found the relay on line from an HVAC parts distributor but this small relay cost me $65! Once the new relay was in my hands, I saw the manufacturers part number (not on original part) and checked with an electronics supplier and found the same part for less than $6! Thanks for helping me out York! Also, the outside compressor coils usually freeze up on cold humid nights so I have to set the defrost timer on 30 minute defrost. Ordinarily, I set the timer for 60 minutes defrost and then it still cycles the defrost when there's no ice. This defrost system wastes a lot of energy, and I know I won't be getting any help from York to resolve this issue! Thanks, York!

Date created: 2009-11-24 Name: Pete

"4 years and 2 motor fan"
Got this hp in nov 2006, cost 14000$ but got a 10 year waranty on it.. The main compressor fan froze in july 2007..(yup less then a year after instalation..) bow in november 2009 again, same fan ,same problem, the worst thing are the dealers, they are told that the problem is the fan, still they comme charge you for the damn diagnostic,then they tell you that they will have to come back, how may days of work will i have to loose to make this POS work? never again York, never again Hydro comfort plus

Date created: 2009-10-25 Name: Jeff

"Mr."
My unit is 4 years old and I've had 1 fan motor and two blower motors fail on the unit. The blower motors give the house a nice burning oder after it starts. York is very unreliable.