Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: G. Hoover
Location: Aiken, SC

"York Air-Source Heat Pump"
In Feb 2010, I purchased a York Air-Source Heat Pump Model #B1HQ042A06 (single package unit, single speed fan). I've had several problems with the unit. First, the unit's control board was set up for the higher efficiency model with the '2-speed' fan. Thus, in the early summer, the unit wouldn't cool. The contractor had return and to install a jumper to get the unit's fan to operate and and thereby cool properly. Late this fall, when the weather cooled and the unit had to operate in"heat" mode, the unit wouldn't defrost (another fan problem). The installer had to return and install yet another jumper to get the unit to defrost. The unit also suffers from an "old sock" odor that is apparently coming from the air handler/heat exchanger. At no cost to me, the contractor installed a UV light unit in the air handler in an effort to inhibit any biological growth (and keep the odor down). But the odor is still there. I wonder if the York heat-exchanger has a high-sulfur content alloy that encourages biological growth? By the way, the contractor stated that they would no longer install York heat pump units. Lucky us, eh? I would rate the York unit as a "Don't Buy".

Date created: 2010-11-20 Name: L. Michael
Location: Central Pa.

"A New York Recalled"
Bought a new York in 2008. Installers were grossly incompetent. In less than a year, things froze up and the coil had to be replaced (a recall that no one told me about until it was too late). Had to call installer a second time for initial incompetent installation. My neighbor, who works for the power company, swears by Trane. I regret my decision to buy a York.

Date created: 2010-11-09 Name: Stanley Baker
Location: Coshocton, OH

"Home owner"
I thought York was highly rated. Many service calls and repairs required. Installer was prompt to respond so no complaints there. Had to run on emergency heat last several years. Outside unit will not turn off with the inside unit. Then a loud humming noise in the house and the copper line running into the furnace gets so hot you cannot hold onto it. Service man said it is probably a valve on the outside unit. Will require lots of labor to install and not sure if one is available. Outside unit rusted more than expected. Poor quality material? Would not buy another York.

Date created: 2010-10-19 Name: Tracy
Location: Tampa, Fla.

"Very good old unit"
We live in Florida and our A/C runs nonstop from May-October every year, without fail. This unit was already installed in our house back in 1988 when we bought it, way back in 1991, it's the original unit, only had it serviced a couple times, once for Freon and, knock on wood, has been doing just great!! Now that it's about 22 years old, feel like we are really running on borrowed time with it, so have been looking around at new ones, but, honestly, reading all these reviews of the new A/C heat pumps out there is really scary, doesn't seem to be many good things about the new ones!! Any recommendations on just good, solid units would be appreciated, have checked Carrier so far, and are thinking of Lennox. Our neighbor has a newer Rheem, but the service guy has been at his house numerous times, and the neighbor doesn't recommend it either..Thanks for any advice!

Date created: 2010-10-04 Name: C. Royce
Location: Gilbertsville, PA

"Latitude 4 ton SEER 14 heat pump"
I call our heat pump the abortion that lived! Well, just barely! We have had problem, after problem, after problem.... Half of the problems are the incompetent installers and the other half was the scrap metal York sells under the guise of a heat pump. Three years old and the compressor had to be replaced and now the "blue fin" coil is shot. The Board of Directors at York should all be in jail!

Date created: 2010-09-29 Name: Chris
Location: Winston Salem, NC

"DON'T BUY YORK!"
Surprised to read there are any positive comments about York. We bought a newly built house in 2006, and thought we were safe with the 10-year warranty on the compressor and 5-year warranty on rest of the parts but started having trouble with the heat pump in 2009 when it was only 3 years old; that service call was $225. This year, during one of our heat waves in August, the unit wouldn't run longer than 2 minutes. Couldn't find an authorized York serviceman in the phone book, but was able to get someone from a nearby town to come repair it same day. $600 later, after replacing the capacitor and fan motor, still trying to get reimbursed from York even though the unit is STILL UNDER WARRANTY. My advice, DON'T BUY YORK! Go with Trane or Carrier.

Date created: 2010-09-16 Name: L. Queral

"Terrible product nowadays"
Unit in service 10 years and is on it's THIRD leaky coil and now needs a fourth. Called York customer service in Phoenixville 2 days ago, left a message for Customer Service to please call me back and still no call 48 hours later. What happened to these people? York was a respected name at one time. Is it because they are using cheap foreign parts and labor? Does ANYONE make a decent product nowadays?

Date created: 2010-07-19 Name: G. Staton

"Very Satisfied"
Have had heat pump for 23 years. Spent very little on it. Just a transformer and a couple of controls. Never has needed freon or compressor. Don't know about the newer ones.

Date created: 2010-07-09 Name: Todd Armstrong

I have put over 2k in maintenance into this one 4 ton unit in 4 years. Worst part is York doesn't really seem to care. I am still fighting them but have had to replace the unit with another brand.

Date created: 2010-06-30 Name: D. Black Jr

"Get what you pay for."
Bought my house with a York 10 seer heat pump installed. It was a lower end unit when installed, but has been a very good unit for the past 8 years. It lasted 3 years beyond the warranty, which is pretty good in my opinion. Changed the filters regularly, had the coils cleaned at least every other year, and only recently the inside coils have rusted and developed a leak.