Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2015-04-05 Name: Carol Kinzner
Location: Tacoma, WA

"Review of York"
This equipment has been quiet, reliable, and energy efficient.

Date created: 2015-02-26 Name: Contractor from PA
Location: Pennsylvania

"Absolute junk"
I am a builder in Pennsylvania, so I know what I'm talking about. I have a 5-year-old York heat pump and it is by far the most problematic item I've ever come across of any kind in any house that I've been in. And believe me, that's a lot. This winter my electric bill has gone from $220 last year to $730-900 monthly this year. All because of faulty defrost boards in the pos. If York was any kind of reputable company, they would reimburse me for this, or at least fix this thing correctly so I can stop hemorrhaging money for electricity. Any quality plumbing fixture company will absolutely pay for any damage that a leaky/defective faucet would do. Anything from buying new countertops to cabinets to replacing floors. I've seen it all. And I am saying York is not a company that you want to do business with.

Date created: 2015-02-20 Name: Carl Smith
Location: Brevard, NC

"Very satisfied customer"
From the start to the finish and now that the system is up and running, I have been impressed with the contractor and with the performance of the equipment. The system has surpassed our expectations. We got the added benefit dehumidification, which I was not aware was an option with the system, but the contractor went over every aspect of the system and all the benefits. We have seen a reduction in our power bill and a significant difference in comfort. Looking forward to a great season and future with our new system!

Date created: 2015-02-10 Name: E. Morrison
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

In 3 years this entire unit has been replaced once, even the outside cabinet, and the compressor has been replaced twice. This is the third compressor. If the outside temperature is below 50, the temperature inside my well-insulated house will not go above 70. In summer it gets no cooler than 73-74 degrees. York used to be the standard but I suspect the manufacturing has been outsourced and now York is a joke.

Date created: 2014-12-17 Name: J. Leon
Location: San Jose, CA

"Never worked right"
The heater has never worked right since we bought it from a York approved vendor. It shuts off when you need it. We've had several repair services out, including York approved. They all complain about it. Don't ever buy York!

Date created: 2014-12-17 Name: Shane Heath
Location: Revelstoke, B.C.

"York heat pump model YHJF36S41S4 is working great!"
My family and I purchased a York heat pump model YHJF36S41S4. I had done research online through blogs and forums. I was interested in the York Guard control module because of their demand defrost. I had heard about a lot of compressor failures and York seemed to have a good report because of their patented control module. We have been operating our heat pump as our primary heat source for about 3 weeks and we are pleased with the results. Thanks.

Date created: 2014-11-25 Name: Doug Grant
Location: Tucson, AZ

"11 years on a 10-year Warranty with a $982 repair bill"
My All-in-One 4 ton heat pump from York was installed during a complete home remodel. The first year of performance was great, but it rapidly declined and always under performed. A lot of vibration began early in its lifespan, and it continued until the variable speed motor gave out one year after the warranty expired. The $982 replacement motor was just enough for me to never consider York again for my home heating and cooling.

Date created: 2014-10-17 Name: Dorothy Karagula
Location: North Florida

"York unit is very efficient and worth the money"
I had problems initially. I was not sure if it was the contractor's error. However, York stood behind the warranty and replaced the faulty one. I used a different contractor for the replacement unit. I have had it about 6 months and I have seen a significant reduction in my power bill. I have noticed less fluctuations in room temperature than with the old unit. Overall, it was well worth the expense of the new unit and the response of the company when a problem did arise was great.

Date created: 2014-10-10 Name: R. Dammers
Location: Tampa, FL

"York's inferior coils"
My units were manufactured in 2010. The aluminum alloy used to manufacture the coils is of inferior quality and is susceptible to leakage. The coil is replaced under warranty with a coil that is still of questionable quality, but is now coated. The labor costs for detecting the leakage and replacing the coil is not covered under the regular warranty policy. This results in approximately $750 to $800 in labor costs per unit to have a coil replaced. Speaking to York does not yield any compensation for the labor costs incurred, which would not have been incurred had the unit(s) been fitted with a good quality coil. It appears to be an industry-wide issue. The dealers I have spoken to are all dealing with similar complaints. Buyer beware.

Date created: 2014-09-30 Name: G LAKE
Location: Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada

"Heat pumps"
I find the unit to be very efficient, with a powerful blower system to deliver heating and cooling very quickly. I have used York as a central air conditioner for 25 years without any problem. When it finally died, I decided to use York again as a heat pump system and have been extremely pleased with its performance since installation in July 2013.