Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2015-06-12 Name: Bob Fritz
Location: East San Diego County, California

"Excellent service and equipment"
Our desert house had only a swamp cooler for cooling so we wanted to upgrade. We contacted two contractors - one associated with Home Depot, and Locke Air Conditioning from nearby El Centro. Locke offered a York unit for 25% less than the other contractor and were able to schedule installation at my convenience. The installation took only a day with a three man crew. It was done very professionally and attractively inside and outside of the house. We recommend both York equipment and Locke Air Conditioning for our hot desert conditions.

Date created: 2015-06-04 Name: Ed Fleming
Location: Seattle, WA

"New heat pump and air handler"
Old unit was replaced by the new unit in about 10 hours. The crew was hard working and cleaned up the job site before they left. I had a good working knowledge of the system. So far the new York system has been cost effective. I would recommend the system and contractor.

Date created: 2015-05-22 Name: mary c.
Location: Eastern Washington

"Rubbish"
Fixes to this unit, which just turned six and York says is out of warranty, have cost more than 1/3 of the original purchase price. At first little things that are costly, a 8 buck valve that caused $1,000 in Freon replacement, and now an evaporator coil that is also $1,000. I suspect they know all about these issues, and should put out a recall on these units (YHFJ). I'll never ever purchase York again. I wish I'd done more research. Lousy equipment, and I feel terrible for the HV tech and the local HVAC company who sold this to me. They no longer will carry York equipment, as they have spent too much time on fixing these units and having to deal with seriously upset customers. All they can do is patch these units up (with equally lousy OEM parts, no doubt). Never again York, and this transaction will be reported to my state's attorney general and to the Feds. York knows how lousy these heat-pump, air handler and furnace combos are. Shame on you, York.

Date created: 2015-04-05 Name: Carol Kinzner
Location: Tacoma, WA

"Review of York"
This equipment has been quiet, reliable, and energy efficient.

Date created: 2015-02-26 Name: Contractor from PA
Location: Pennsylvania

"Absolute junk"
I am a builder in Pennsylvania, so I know what I'm talking about. I have a 5-year-old York heat pump and it is by far the most problematic item I've ever come across of any kind in any house that I've been in. And believe me, that's a lot. This winter my electric bill has gone from $220 last year to $730-900 monthly this year. All because of faulty defrost boards in the pos. If York was any kind of reputable company, they would reimburse me for this, or at least fix this thing correctly so I can stop hemorrhaging money for electricity. Any quality plumbing fixture company will absolutely pay for any damage that a leaky/defective faucet would do. Anything from buying new countertops to cabinets to replacing floors. I've seen it all. And I am saying York is not a company that you want to do business with.

Date created: 2015-02-20 Name: Carl Smith
Location: Brevard, NC

"Very satisfied customer"
From the start to the finish and now that the system is up and running, I have been impressed with the contractor and with the performance of the equipment. The system has surpassed our expectations. We got the added benefit dehumidification, which I was not aware was an option with the system, but the contractor went over every aspect of the system and all the benefits. We have seen a reduction in our power bill and a significant difference in comfort. Looking forward to a great season and future with our new system!

Date created: 2015-02-10 Name: E. Morrison
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

In 3 years this entire unit has been replaced once, even the outside cabinet, and the compressor has been replaced twice. This is the third compressor. If the outside temperature is below 50, the temperature inside my well-insulated house will not go above 70. In summer it gets no cooler than 73-74 degrees. York used to be the standard but I suspect the manufacturing has been outsourced and now York is a joke.

Date created: 2014-12-17 Name: J. Leon
Location: San Jose, CA

"Never worked right"
The heater has never worked right since we bought it from a York approved vendor. It shuts off when you need it. We've had several repair services out, including York approved. They all complain about it. Don't ever buy York!

Date created: 2014-12-17 Name: Shane Heath
Location: Revelstoke, B.C.

"York heat pump model YHJF36S41S4 is working great!"
My family and I purchased a York heat pump model YHJF36S41S4. I had done research online through blogs and forums. I was interested in the York Guard control module because of their demand defrost. I had heard about a lot of compressor failures and York seemed to have a good report because of their patented control module. We have been operating our heat pump as our primary heat source for about 3 weeks and we are pleased with the results. Thanks.

Date created: 2014-11-25 Name: Doug Grant
Location: Tucson, AZ

"11 years on a 10-year Warranty with a $982 repair bill"
My All-in-One 4 ton heat pump from York was installed during a complete home remodel. The first year of performance was great, but it rapidly declined and always under performed. A lot of vibration began early in its lifespan, and it continued until the variable speed motor gave out one year after the warranty expired. The $982 replacement motor was just enough for me to never consider York again for my home heating and cooling.