Consumer Reviews of WESTINGHOUSE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about WESTINGHOUSE heat pumps

Date created: 2019-01-24 Name: ann lanier
Location: Milan, TN

"Bad havac"
I like nothing about this equipment.we had to change the coils after only a yr and a half. Started leaking. I would never buy another one like it.

Date created: 2017-07-18 Name: Christine Shrader
Location: Taylorsville, KY

"Water dripping off the coils and cannot get a call back"
I have called and license tech has called many time because this unit is only 2 1/2 years old. It is under warranty. The water is dripping off the coils and ruined the board and transformer. The coil is the issue and needs to be replaced. Worthless company and customer service.
Date created: 2017-06-16 Name: Shelley
Location: Perryville, AR

"WORST COMPANY!"
We had this heat pump installed in our new home 5 and a half years ago. We have had nothing but issues. First year the heat didn't work and when it did work the fan ran constantly. The next year the unit froze up and only made a loud noise and the repairman said we needed to watch one of the boards because it's probably going bad. Really?!!! The unit has always cut off and started up again within seconds so no telling how much electricity it takes to operate this thing! So this week...the hottest week so far this summer, the condenser is out! No air for a solid 3 days due to the part not getting here. So I call today and it will be another three days till we have it delivered. I'm not happy and plan to put this information out on every mode of social media I can so there is nobody else that has saved a lifetime to build their home and be saddled with a heat pump by Westinghouse that clearly is a piece of junk! Steer clear of anything built by these people. I wish someone would have told me when we were building to buy anything but Westinghouse!
Date created: 2015-12-23 Name: Robert Hall
Location: Wilmington, NC

"Junk, run away"
Installed both units in 2010. Have had constant problems. Have put 4 defrost boards and 3 blower motors on 2 ton package. Stress fracture in discharge line at compressor and cond. fan on 1 1/2 ton. Package unit is loud.
Date created: 2015-09-08 Name: C. Jones
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Westinghouse says"
I am an HVAC contractor and installed Westinghouse for several years, even in my own home. But as of late Westinghouse, and their parent, Nortek Global, has turned a deaf ear to me as a dealer and to the customers for whom I installed Westinghouse in their homes. Instead of doing what was right, Nortek denied replacing a unit under the Quality Pledge warranty, even though the unit that failed had a compressor failure on the unit which was installed only four months ago. The unit was a Quality Pledge replacement for the original unit that only lasted 11 months from the day the new home was occupied. The homeowner never registered the original unit so Nortek only would cover the part 5 year warranty. But the compressor had to be shipped from the Westinghouse factory since none of the distributors within 100 miles of us had a replacement. On top of that, it took 2 days for Nortek to send out the compressor by motor freight and as of today it has not arrived. That would have put the homeowner without air conditioning for 9 days, in North Carolina. Even at this time of year, that is not good. I was forced to find a compressor at another parts company, buy it myself and install it, and now Nortek says they will deduct $125 from my warranty credit for processing since I had to go elsewhere due to their mistake. When I asked the warranty department about the fee their reply was "That's not my problem". I asked for an exception due to the lack of diligence on getting the compressor shipped in a timely manor but as of today have not received any answer, only that is "the way it works and it isn't their fault". As an HVAC contractor, I will not be installing anything made by Nortek Global HVAC under any of its names - Westinghouse, Kelvinator, Maytag, Nutone, etc. I will not pass on to the customer the $125 processing fee and have even waived any fees for us to replace his compressor because with a 16 month old home, I feel that is what is right. It is a pity that Nortek, as large as it is, can't, or more like won't, do what is right.
Date created: 2015-08-21 Name: L W Barnes
Location: Austin, TX

"Quiet and efficient"
Replaced my 15-year-old Carrier unit. What a difference. The Westinghouse unit is so quiet I had to put my hand up to the vent to make sure it was working. Temperatures are much better in the house and my bills are also.
Date created: 2015-08-03 Name: R Lindahl
Location: Wenatchee, WA

"Best in world"
Purchased unit in 1971 from distributor for $1130 and installed it myself. In the last 44 years I have had one compressor and one reversing valve replaced by the contractor. Myself I replaced one blower motor and one capacitor. No service calls required ever. Now I need a new compressor. Have been looking at a new one but it appears almost everyone is not satisfied with the new ones. It will cost more to replace the compressor than I paid for the equipment. I have got prices on new unit for $8000 to $14000 installed. If I fix it and sell my house and somebody asks how old the unit is and I tell them about 45 years they will not understand that the old stuff is so much better than the new stuff. My local dealer went to an equipment show and a Carrier engineer told him anybody can design a unit that will last forever but it takes a real engineer to design one that will fail one day after the warranty expires. Enough said!
Date created: 2014-12-24 Name: wayne e wilson
Location: NB, Canada

"Lemon"
Year 1, I made 13 calls for repairs; no heat, the auxilary heat on, the unit outside iced up. The installer said to get someone else to fix it because he would not come any more unless I paid for the call. Why should I pay when he could fix it? From the start he would not help. The distributor in Moncton would not help. He said the problem was between me and the installer. Now, a lot of money later, it's still not working right. The outside unit iced up. A new company is working on this problem. He has been in touch with the manufacturer and distributor in Moncton. Now, 5 years later, my electric bill is very high.
Date created: 2014-04-23 Name: Charles Green
Location: Florence, SC

"Long on warranty, short on quality!"
Purchased this 15.00 seer, 3.0 Ton Pkg 2 stage heat pump 12/27/10 based on good reports and past history. First year it ran great and very efficient. The first Spring started having freezing up problems and the defrost board was replaced 3 times in a couple of weeks. Ran good until the next Spring when the defrost board is replaced again, twice as well as the blower motor and heat strip contacts. Now this Spring, it's not cooling again and the blower motor is replaced again. Week later it is still not cooling and expansion valve is bad and over heating. Part has to be ordered! No ac at all until part comes in. My service provider has jumped whenever I called and hasn't charged me anything but tell me their other customers are experiencing the same problems. Westinghouse supplies replacement parts under warranty but their replacement warranty is only good if the compressor burns out, not multiple problems no matter how many you have. Free parts are good but the inconvenience is not covered. I would not recommend this unit to anyone and doubt I will deal with Westinghouse again! I'm also trying to get them to replace my unit under the lemon law.
Date created: 2011-08-19 Name: steve
Location: [email protected]

"Westinghouse heat pump package unit"
Put in a Westinghouse heat pump, package unit, 3 ton for my home 2 months ago, with electric furnace. Cools the house just fine, but no humidity control. Cannot get below about 62% humidity. The old Trane, 27 years old, I took out kept the humidity around 50% all the time. Working with contractor, but not happy, considering making him pull the Westinghouse out and put in another Trane.