Consumer Reviews of WEATHERKING heat pumps

Read more about WEATHERKING heat pumps

Date created: 2008-05-23 Name: K, E.
Location: North Myrtle Beach, SC

"Weatherking Heat Pump"
Out of freon each spring '06, '07, and '08. Turned off for 2 days in the fall and freon gone. Neighbor with same unit just replaced compressor.

Date created: 2008-05-22 Name: Allen Crites
Location: Spokane, WA

"Bad installation practices"
Sounds like mostly spec home which had the cheapest install company do the work. There really isn't much difference in components from brand to brand. What you need is quality installation including sizing of home and ductwork. Don't always look for the least expensive contractor.

Date created: 2008-04-22 Name: JOEL T GEDDIE
Location: Eclectic, AL

Installed one of the last 10 seer 2-ton heat pump systems from my supplier's warehouse. Installed for new triple garage add-on to customer's house. started in warm weather & had no problem until cooler weather. Reversing valve failed & replaced coil---worked one week & burned coil again. Ordered rev. valve assembly & coil & replaced---very difficult in this unit--worked 3-4 days & burned another coil. Called rep. for replacement unit--he said no-way Weatherking would replace entire unit. This piece of crap never heated from the start & all they will do is send replacement parts. Have gone to a different supplier with different brand. Weatherking will get no more of my money. Will not recommend Weatherking--very dissatisfied installer tech.

Date created: 2008-03-09 Name: adam davis
Location: Locust Grove, GA

Absolutely terrible unit....i have owned my house for 3 years, i purchased the home new and it came with a weather king unit. I have replaced 3 compressors in 3 years. $500 everytime that happens, about 6 other people on my street have had the same problem. What can be done about this problem?

Date created: 2007-12-13 Name: HEATHER MADDOX
Location: MARSHVILLE, NC

This unit is horrible. I have replaced the compressor 4 times in 3 years. Everytime it is the compressor has locked up usually a feon leak. It has been my experience that everytime I turn the unit on in the spring it will go out. Yes the compressor is under warranty for now but the labor, usually 500-600 dollars is out of the home owners pocket. DO NOT BUY THIS UNIT.

Date created: 2007-08-29 Name: Kim C
Location: Nashville, TN

I purchased my Weatherking heat pump in April 04. In March of 07, it started blowing warm air, so discovered I had a freon leak. Got that fixed and then on April 21, 07, another freon leak was discovered. On June 9th, the run capacitor went out. On June 13th, the fan motor went out. On June 26th, its blowing hot again...another freon leak and now today, August 28th, blowing hot again, another freon leak. I feel like a unit that cost me over $4,000 shouldn't be having this many problems within 3years of ownership and 6times within a 5 month period and I feel that Weatherking should replace the unit for free. They tell me that they will not replace the unit and the warranty specifically states that only defective parts will be replaced within the 5 year period. What happens after 5 years and I continue to have problems? Will I then be replacing the entire unit. Weatherking says it isn't there unit that is the problem, but my a/c technician doesn't know what he is doing. I believe that WeatherKing brand is useless and so are the people that work for them. Their equipment is total crap and they could care less about the problems that you might have with their product. I would not recommend purchasing any Rheem product ever!!!!!!

Date created: 2007-05-15 Name: J. Morgan
Location: Dayton, OH.

My WeatherKing heat pump just died and it is only 3-1/2 years old. Seems the compressor is shot. The compressor is under warranty but the installation cost to replace it is $475.00 - $500.00. The heat pump has not worked properly for the last year. Poor heating capability and loud noises. On one service call the local contractor found a wire completely burned through. On this last service call I was informed the compressor finally died. I looked for information on the internet and found this site with the other reviews about WeatherKing heat pumps. It seems we have all had the same experience with failed compressors within a short amount of time. I can't imagine the factory not knowing of this problem. WARNING: STAY AWAY FROM WeatherKing HEAT PUMPS! Very poor quality!

Date created: 2007-03-29 Name: Antoinette Anderson
Location: Columbus, GA

My weatherking model 10PJA2501 came with the home I had built in June 03. Every year since then my unit has needed freon. It makes really awful noises and the compressor doesn't run for more than 10 minutes and the house gets hotter instead of colder. I was told that the unit shouldn't need freon so often, yet it has been yearly. Also the unit has oily stains in the bottom that show signs of a leak in the vavles but weatherking (rheem) wants to replace the parts at my expense for labor of estimated $550. Today I was told my compressor needs to be replaced and YES again they will pay for the part but not the labor which is another estimated $500. Other new homes on my street have the same issues with their weatherking heat pumps. When will they see that their pumps are worthly? They need to replace the complete system or at least the heat pumps at no cost to the customer whom have had to endure the heat and costly service fees for the faulty equipment. If you are considering a heat pump stay away from weatherking!!!!!!!

Date created: 2007-02-07 Name: Jennifer Hatcher
Location: Savannah, MO

We brought our new home with the new weatherking heat pump and within 1 year the compressor went bad. Then the air conditioning broke and the compressor went out again. The parts were covered under warranty. Now something is broken again and I was told it was the txv part that needs replaced cost 800 more dollars for the part. I wanted to know if it was covered under warranty since the unit is not even 3years old. But the phone number on my warranty paper has been disconnected. The money spent on repairs could have bought a new unit!

Date created: 2006-12-01 Name: Bob Wood
Location: Greenville, SC

2 ton unit had compressor replaced once before final home closing in June 2005. TXV valve and defrost board went out in October 2006 and compressor went out Nov 2006. Replacing it with Westinghouse. Do not recommend at all. Junk.