Consumer Reviews of WEATHERKING heat pumps

Read more about WEATHERKING heat pumps

Date created: 2009-08-06 Name: J. G.

"WeatherKing Heat pump"
I allowed my dumba... general contractor to talk me out of a Lennox 5 ton (as specified by my architect) and put in a Weatherking 4 ton when I built my house in the fall of 1984. This was my first heat pump purchase and I had no idea what to expect. When I moved in in Feb 2005, I did not know what to expect, but cold air for 30 min, then warm air? I found that the heat pump did not work and the heat strips kicked in on demand. I called the installer and learned a new term, lra, Locked Rotor Amps, which means the compressor is seized. He swaped it out on warranty, and we are ok until 2 years later, lra again!!! I got to pay the service call and the freon charge. Just before year 5 was up, (last year for parts warranty) lra again!!!. The 3rd compressor was still working when I sold the house in 1997. Just don't do it, but I hear mostly compliants about all the other brands. This is your government in Washington screwing you. Mandating higher and higher seer ratings just as they killed the auto industry in this country with mandates for higher mileage!!!

Date created: 2009-07-25 Name: Dick

"Weatherking Mod.#17ahj11502c01"
3 years, 3 compressors, 2 capacitors, freon leaks & expensive repair bills. Really don't know what to think about the people servicing this equipment. I know there is some good and bad in everything. Would just like to run across some of the good. Rheem should be ashamed for allowing this faulty equipment to be sold. They will not stand behind there equipment. Sounds like arrogance and greed at work. Help Rheem, I'm tired of being hot in the summer and cold in the winter!

Date created: 2009-06-08 Name: Tech Mark

"This is a bad investment"
I work on a property of 358 units, each one has his own heat pump. two years ago we replaced aproximetly 80 % of the units. consider this season is not hoy yet, most of the compressors start to blow out, overloding, or capacitors blow out. I have 10 years of experience on heat pump, and a never seen like this. I don't recomend to anyone.

Date created: 2009-04-27 Name: WEATHERKING

"Becky"
Weatherking learned from their mistakes. Most of the units that are in this review are 10 Seer units. Those units had a bristol compressor in them and since the 13 Seers have come out with r410 units they now have Scroll compressors. These units that are manufactured after June 2008 also have a 10 year warranty. Double check with your Dealer to make sure what your warranty is.

Date created: 2009-04-26 Name: WEATHERKING

"Weather king heat pump is a piece of junk."
We purchased a 10 pj Heat pump in 2004. We have had two compressors replaced, a capacitor, and now it won't cool or heat. This unit is very disappointing and very costly. We have spent $1700 on the unit and repairs over a four year period. I would not recommend this product to anyone. It is a money pit.

Date created: 2009-03-13 Name: Shannon F.

"Good So Far"
The unit cools the house very well. However, it helps that the house is well insulated. This is the first heat pump I have owned and it's heating capabilities doesn't rank as well as it cooling. The house has cold spots. I would generally attribute this to insulation but the house cools pretty evenly. The air out of the vents is barely warm except on very cold days when the secondary heating element comes on. The unit has failed 4 times in 2 years but the problems were minor and I am not sure if that is not the fault of the builder/installer, which was average to poor.

Date created: 2009-02-25 Name: Kimberly
Location: Columbia, SC

"WeatherKing Complaint"
The WeatherKing Model #10pja3101 is horrible. I've gotten it fixed several times. First, some wires were burnt out. Then, there was something going on with the freon. Now, the compressor is gone. We have been using our emergency heat just to keep warm. I won't even discuss my electric bill. WeatherKing is a brand I do not recommend.

Date created: 2009-01-09 Name: Dave Blythe
Location: Eastern Shore, Delaware

This heatpump is terrible. There has been something fixed or replaced every 6 months and it gets a bit costly after a while. Now, the compressor has gone up again. Someone once referred to this as a 3 year throw away pump. I'm starting to understand what they meant. This pump was installed new in May 2005 and we've had wires burn up, constant freon leaks, and the compressor has been replaced 2 times now. by this point, I believe I have spent enough money in repairs to have purchased a high-quality brand. It is a very dissappointing system. I'ved learned that you get what you pay for.

Date created: 2008-12-22 Name: R. Martz
Location: Clarksville, TN

"WeatherKing 17AHJ14S02C01 = Crap"
Its is wonderful that the unit has a 5yr warranty, however, the compressor only cost $100 while the service to replace it cost $500. 3 compressors, burned wires, run capacitors, and reversing valve. Every year it stops heating in the first days the temperature gets into the teens. In the first months for cooling we have compressor problems. With all the service calls, I'm half-way into a new/quality unit. a class action suit is certainly in order.

Date created: 2008-12-08 Name: M. Smith
Location: Kentucky

"Weather King/Rheem/Iceco disappoints"
Air Handler Model 17ahj14s02c01, Heat Pump Model 10pjb30a01 were installed in June of 2004. 2008, 7 service calls and 2 HVAC companies later it's not looking good. We have problems both with heating and cooling. 10 months has been the longest span without service and the outdoor temps were mild enough to open windows instead of running the air conditioner. Compressor, 2 transformers and 2 heat sequencers have been replaced. Freon was low once but that probably stemmed from when the compressor was changed as the tech probably couldn't get an accurate reading due to the colder temps. Our tech said he didn't think we had a leak but if we did there is no fixing it. Recharging would have to be done twice a year and the unit would most likely need to be replaced within 5 years of the first leak. Between 2 companies and 5 Tecís there has been no positive remarks made about this unit. The installing tech quit installing these units shortly after ours as he was receiving numerous complaints from his customers and Rheem offered no assistance and of course we were left with a crappy unit. We are currently pursuing recourse but nothing to report yet. A working number for Rheem that we used to obtain a manual is 1-479-646-4311. Any help you may have to offer can be sent to [email protected]