Consumer Reviews of WEATHERKING heat pumps

Read more about WEATHERKING heat pumps

Date created: 2010-11-17 Name: george young
Location: kentucky

"Dont buy"
Have had compressor go out been serviced 4 times changed my filters regular.now contactor bad control board bad wich blew fuse on inside control board and burned inside board. do not buy.was told by installer it is a construction grade of rheem.do not buy.pay a little more for one.had a york for 15 years should have never listened to installer.

Date created: 2010-11-09 Name: Brian James
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

"Weatherking Heat Pumps Failures"
As a HVAC contractor for over 25 years we have never regretted installing a certain line of heat pump as much as we do the Weatherking. Our failure rate is over 90%. These failures are all major repairs with compressor,txv, and reversing valves failing. We thought we had a good thing in an inexpensive unit and got what we paid for. And I am still paying for it!

Date created: 2010-06-21 Name: Joe

"TRUST YOUR INSTALLER!!!"
I install HVAC for a living. Weatherking is just as good as the next cheap brand. My only complaint is that it is too noisy, but hey it is cheap! For everyone on here complaining about the compressor, make sure you change your filter every 3 months, and more importantly, make sure it has a liquid line drier and the company that installed it, did it right!! If they did not pull a good vacuum and did not install a drier, of course it will crap out!! Also, have it maintenanced by a professional once a year. Cheap parts like the contractor going bad will also cause a compressor failure. They are not designed to run forever. Without being maintenanced, you have to service it just like a car from time to time!!!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2010-04-13 Name: Thomas

"WEATHER KING"
Weather Junk. This machine would not be worth owning 100 years ago. Anyone interested in buying one would be better off leaving a freezer open or turning on a gas stove. I have owned my Weather Junk for 2 1/5 years now. The first one burned up in 1 years time. The second one has vibrated apart. I know, you might think that's what you get for being cheap. No, this is what I get for being stupid and letting someone sell me an item without checking into it myself. I guess just another life lesson. Good luck to all with their money pits.

Date created: 2010-04-05 Name: Shannon F.

"Weatherking Sucks"
This is an update on my earlier post. Bought my house in 2007 and the contractor installed Weatherking. The first 2 years, the unit went out 4 times ( all under warranty). The unit cools the house very well but all of my problems occur during the cooling season. The unit froze yesterday and it is out again. The capacitor has burst and this is the 3rd capacitor for the unit. You expect to have problems like these after 15-20 years not 3. Also, the unit heats very poorly. House never feels comfortable when the temp. falls below 40.

Date created: 2010-02-24 Name: D. Kaminski

"Heat Pump failure"
I had a new Weatherking heat pump installed in November 2009. Unit worked great for 2 months, then stopped. Have replaced thermostat 3 times, all low voltage wiring and the factory supplied an updated circuit board. Still not working. Heating contractor is pulling his hair out.

Date created: 2010-02-17 Name: R. Mason

"Ice up"
As soon as outside temps dip to freezing, my heat pump turns to one big ice cube. My neighbors all have the same system and theirs thaw out. Installers answer is to turn off when temps drop below 40. While the efficiency drops considerably, that is not the issue. The system is suppose to have a defrost cycle, that apparently doesn't work. I don't have a manual to support my position before stating this problem again with my installer. Can't find the manual online either. I googled Weather King and only got comparisons, blogs, and installers.

Date created: 2010-01-03 Name: C. Mathis

"Why Me Too?"
I am just adding to the list. I, too have a Weatherking unit and have replaced compressors (3), boards (1) and spent at least $1000 in unnecessary heating bills. Although I still have this unit and will install a new Honeywell TH8000 thermostat soon, what unit is considered the BEST and/or most reliable for a 1800SQ FT home?

Date created: 2009-12-28 Name: J. Kirby

"Weather king"
Weatherking is a piece of junk. 5 years old with many service calls, 2 stuck expansion valves and bad compressor. Three times, the lines have broken due to vibrations and leaked out all the freon.

Date created: 2009-11-09 Name: HGR

"Weatherking is junk"
Brand new condo, brand new unit. Compressor failed after 1 year, and was replaced under builder's warranty. Second compressor failed a year later. Weatherking sent another compressor, which was leaking upon arrival; contractor refused to install it. They sent another defective compressor after that. They refused to pay for installation at all, and would only send another compressor (all defective). I took out the unit, and replaced it with a brand new unit from another manufacturer. It works beautifully. Don't ever purchase a Weatherking unit. It was described by 2 contractors as builder grade, economy junk that they would never use in their own house.