Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2012-11-20 Name: Dan E.
Location: Greensboro, NC

"It's a Lemon"
Have had a 5 ton dual fuel seer 12 for 7 years. Have replaced the mother board twice, the coil this past August, and now the compressor is gone. Told the technician to get the piece of junk off my property. Damn what's left of the warranty. I'm installing a Goodman! It's not hard to stop a Trane, but it is hard to make a Trane run.

Date created: 2012-11-05 Name: Richard W Clason
Location: Lubbock, TX

"Dual fuel heat pump"
I had my house built in 1993 with a Trane Dual Fuel heat pump system installed. I have had no problems with the system but the thermostat just went out. Ridiculous price to replace a simple thermostat --- $250.00. Since it is only a 10 seer rating, I am considering replacing the unit. The only drawback is the cost versus reviews. With the reviews I have read, any and all systems are only worth about 10% of what is charged.

Date created: 2012-09-20 Name: CB
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

"TRANE does not stand behind product!"
Had a trane heat pump on a rental property for 8 years. It's on its 4th compressor, 3rd fan, dropped freon once, had some expensive valve break, lost a resistor pack. All different calls. I have not had to pay for some of it as it is under warranty but have had to pay plenty of labor to the tune of $3,000!!!!! And guess what? TRANE will stand behind their product even though I have had 10 service calls in 8 years. Piece of junk, and the company is a piece of work. If I had the time I'd sue using the state's lemon law but I'm waiting for one more breakdown which I am SURE will come.

Date created: 2012-08-07 Name: Steve Carter

"WILL NOT COOL HOME"
I have had this 4 ton in my home for 8 years now and every year the service folks say it is doing all it can. It is a sorry excuse for an air conditioner and I will never own another heat pump or Trane product.

Date created: 2012-07-10 Name: R Benke
Location: Flippin, Arkansas

"Great service life"
A 2 ton Trane was installed when I built my home in Arkansas in 1996. I first had a problem this year July, 2012. The condenser fan failed. I guess this post speaks for itself. It has worked flawlessly for 16 years, both heating and cooling. I am replacing the unit this year for a higher seer to save on operating costs. Am looking into both Trane and Carrier units.

Date created: 2012-07-01 Name: Greg Alford
Location: Dyersburg, TN

"TRANE WRECK"
Purchased 12/07 in upgrading an old but fully functioning heat pump, then moved from house in June 09 and put on market. Empty house w/temp set summer 84 & winter 65. No problems until July 2011- blower motor went out-parts warranty, labor not. Oct. 2011-outside expansion valve died- part warranted, not labor or freon -$525 total bill. Closed housesale on 6/26 (inspected before and no knowledge of any problem). 2 days later the unit developed near complete blockage/failure of expansion valve/line. Buyers moving in with ourside temp 104/inside 86 and 3 young children. Local dealer did not have part, none in 100 miles radius. Ordered part to arrive 7/3. Part covered, but another labor and massive freon charge. We intend to pay for these repairs although there was nothing wrong when we closed and we got slaughtered on sale price. a client of mine advised me that Trane made significant design chages to reduce the cost of production and that the newer units are nowhere near the quality that Trane formerly stood for. I wish I had known that client sooner. never again

Date created: 2012-05-04 Name: Tricia C
Location: Montville, OH

"Should have never bought a Trane"
After deciding to replace our propane with all-electric, we decided on a Trane heat pump that was installed in the fall of 2009 in our 2400 sq ft home. Since installation, the entire unit has been replaced, a fan has been replaced, freon has regularly been added, something else had to be replaced because the last person put in too much freon... It has been endless. The installers have been out so many times (over a dozen), I can't even keep count. Wish I would have known then to document every single call and visit, because "amazingly" they don't! Got so fed up with installers that we had a Trane rep come out that went over the entire unit side-by-side with the installers but wow, didn't find a thing wrong. My electric bill has skyrocketed though the thermostat is never set above 72 on even the coldest day and my house is never truly warm in the winter. Vents blow cold air in the winter. Auxiliary heat stays on for days, which seems contradictory. Now, as warmer days approach and we put our a/c on, the house stayed 4-5 degrees above where I set the thermostat to and never cooled off. Probably going to need some more freon because that makes sense with a unit less than 3 years old! Disgusted with both Trane and our installers. Wish we had done more research before going with, presumably, the best.

Date created: 2012-04-18 Name: all seasons
Location: north carolina

"Problems all the time"
2Ton heat pump was installed in new home in 2004, I have repairs done about 4 times a year, this repair will cost about 1500.00. have spent around 3500.00 dollars in the last 4 years, tired of spending on junk, buying new heat pump.. not a trane. quality has declined over the years and will continue to get worse.

Date created: 2012-02-26 Name: Dexter Bartlett
Location: Pittsford, MI

"Inefficiency!"
Because of a number of breakdowns on my former electric fueled unit I decided to go with the more 95% efficient propane unit. Not! To heat my home in the warmest winter ever it is costing me twice the price of my former unit. It is burning 5.6 gallons per day with the thermostat set at 68 degrees (formerly 72 degrees on electric unit) in my 2300 sq ft home. When I the installers to check it out they found nothing wrong. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Date created: 2012-01-09 Name: Steve S
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Trane heat pumps"
I bought my house 24 years ago with builder installed Trane xe900 split system heat pumps. They worked very well for the entire period with only minor repairs and were still working this winter. While they still worked, I figured I was living on borrowed time with 24 year old systems and when they did breakdown it would likely be one of those 115+ days in the summer. So I decided to replace them this winter which I did. All of my research said that the quality of the contractor was at least as important as the maker of the heat pump. So I reached out to several contractors with top grade reviews on Angie's List and the BBB for estimates. The one I chose was not the cheapest but offered a detailed analysis of my system and a solution for one cooling problem I had (two additional rooms off my garage that were not planned for in the original build and struggled to stay as cool as the rest of the house) who added two returns into the new rooms and closed other returns and built new sealed returns to replace them. I also received and highly recommend getting the extended warranty from Trane on parts and labor. My contractor offered his own parts and labor and satisfaction guarantee as well. I ended up replacing my old units with top of the line XL20i heat pumps, Hyperiod TAM8 air handlers and communicating XL900 thermostats. So far the new system is working very well (although only time will tell). One thing all of my contractors proposed to do was to replace the horizontal discharge top with the optional vertical discharge top. Unless you have a lot of room around all four sides of your system, I would insist on that replacement (and probably not choose a contractor who didn't include that in his estimate). By choosing the contractor I did, and having extended warranties from both the contractor and Trane, I am confident that if I should have any problems down the road, they will be taken care of quickly and at no cost to me (at least for ten years). One more thing. Many people buy the super "efficient" pleated air filers thinking they are good. While they are good, if changed regularly, at filtering out contaminants, they reduce air flow into the air handler and unless you size the system to account for that, the so called "good' filters can stress your system and reduce the heating cooling capacity. My contractor suggested the fiberglass filter; I found a company on-line that sells a Merv 7 fiberglass filter which I will be changing monthly that should do the trick.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>