Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2012-04-18 Name: all seasons
Location: north carolina

"Problems all the time"
2Ton heat pump was installed in new home in 2004, I have repairs done about 4 times a year, this repair will cost about 1500.00. have spent around 3500.00 dollars in the last 4 years, tired of spending on junk, buying new heat pump.. not a trane. quality has declined over the years and will continue to get worse.

Date created: 2012-02-26 Name: Dexter Bartlett
Location: Pittsford, MI

"Inefficiency!"
Because of a number of breakdowns on my former electric fueled unit I decided to go with the more 95% efficient propane unit. Not! To heat my home in the warmest winter ever it is costing me twice the price of my former unit. It is burning 5.6 gallons per day with the thermostat set at 68 degrees (formerly 72 degrees on electric unit) in my 2300 sq ft home. When I the installers to check it out they found nothing wrong. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Date created: 2012-01-09 Name: Steve S
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Trane heat pumps"
I bought my house 24 years ago with builder installed Trane xe900 split system heat pumps. They worked very well for the entire period with only minor repairs and were still working this winter. While they still worked, I figured I was living on borrowed time with 24 year old systems and when they did breakdown it would likely be one of those 115+ days in the summer. So I decided to replace them this winter which I did. All of my research said that the quality of the contractor was at least as important as the maker of the heat pump. So I reached out to several contractors with top grade reviews on Angie's List and the BBB for estimates. The one I chose was not the cheapest but offered a detailed analysis of my system and a solution for one cooling problem I had (two additional rooms off my garage that were not planned for in the original build and struggled to stay as cool as the rest of the house) who added two returns into the new rooms and closed other returns and built new sealed returns to replace them. I also received and highly recommend getting the extended warranty from Trane on parts and labor. My contractor offered his own parts and labor and satisfaction guarantee as well. I ended up replacing my old units with top of the line XL20i heat pumps, Hyperiod TAM8 air handlers and communicating XL900 thermostats. So far the new system is working very well (although only time will tell). One thing all of my contractors proposed to do was to replace the horizontal discharge top with the optional vertical discharge top. Unless you have a lot of room around all four sides of your system, I would insist on that replacement (and probably not choose a contractor who didn't include that in his estimate). By choosing the contractor I did, and having extended warranties from both the contractor and Trane, I am confident that if I should have any problems down the road, they will be taken care of quickly and at no cost to me (at least for ten years). One more thing. Many people buy the super "efficient" pleated air filers thinking they are good. While they are good, if changed regularly, at filtering out contaminants, they reduce air flow into the air handler and unless you size the system to account for that, the so called "good' filters can stress your system and reduce the heating cooling capacity. My contractor suggested the fiberglass filter; I found a company on-line that sells a Merv 7 fiberglass filter which I will be changing monthly that should do the trick.

Date created: 2012-01-07 Name: Sboles
Location: Jasper,al

"SMELLS LIKE MOLD!"
I have had the Trane Heat pump for two years now. Three months after installation we noticed a foul smell/mold like every time the unit was blowing so I called the installer and he told me that sometimes the coils on Trane units sometimes can grow mold on them and they have to be cleaned, come on this is the "the top of the line" model and now my home smells like dirty feet/ mold! Not only that, the cleaning can cost as much as $200.00. Two years into owning this heat pump and I still have to endure smelling this problem. Would have been nice of the installer to have informed us of this problem especially since I had worked with some of the family. (yes, they were aware of the history of this problem with Tranes. Not only the problem with the mold smell I don't feel the unit heats as well as I would like and sometimes I even have to wear a jacket when the thermostat is at 73 in the winter . The air just doesn't have a warm feeling. I will not purchase another Trane.

Date created: 2011-11-30 Name: Tom
Location: Northern,va

"Junk Trane System"
Had a Trane heat pump installed in 2002. We have averaged 3 repairs a year and have had 5 in the last 10 months. Trane was unwilling to even talk about the excessive repairs. Trane is junk so stay away from them.

Date created: 2011-11-27 Name: RBPeter
Location: Bonney Lake, WA

"Trane XL-15i unit is quiet and trouble free"
This Trane XL-15i unit is quiet and trouble free. It works great in both heating and cooling modes. I like the design, having a bit of a roof over the pump and coils.

Date created: 2011-11-27 Location: Hope Mills, NC

"Review of Trane Heat Pump"
The heat pump I owned has been in use for about seven years. I've had no trouble with it, although its previous owners did have to call in for an occasional repair or two. Yes, I would buy the same model again, and recommend it to a friend.

Date created: 2011-11-24 Name: KESH
Location: Novi, MI

"Set a house on Fire"
A Trane heat pump set a house on fire. In this home was a beautiful German Shepherd mother... the mother of my German Shepherd. She passed away in this fire caused by Trane's heat pump because this product is crap. Do not buy this product if you want to keep your house in one piece.

Date created: 2011-11-23 Location: Oxford, Ms

"The jingle is "Nothing can stop a Trane" -- that's almost right."
This may be the best value for money I have ever had. I've had it for 27 years and the compressor is still going strong. I think I'm on the margin of where the climate is "heat pump suitable", Northern Mississippi, but it works here. There have been repairs -- a blower motor after 20 years and two cooling fan motors from that time time to a couple of years ago. Total cost was under $600. Would I be happier if I hadn't had those expenses? Yes, but the compressor is still doing it. Did I get a bargain? Absolutely. Their trademark is "Nothing can stop a Trane" and as far as I can tell, from the standpoint of the compressor, that is about right. I think it was a great buy; even if it had to replace it tomorrow. I don't know about the quality of what they make now, but in the mid-'80's they were spot on.

Date created: 2011-11-01 Name: R. Massengale
Location: Greenville, SC

"I have a Trane heat pump unit"
I have a Trane heat pump unit that is 20 years old (Manufacturing 1991). It is less efficient (don't know seer) than the new ones but I have spent only $160 on it for a bad board at one time about 8 years ago. No charging issues or leaks. It is a 2-ton unit, heats and cools great but just not as efficient. Not sure whether to look at replacing it or just run it until it breaks.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>