Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2015-06-30 Name: Brenda L
Location: Morganton, NC

"Please don't waste your $$"
I had this Trane unit installed 8 months ago when my old unit that came with my mobile home when it was made in 1992 started giving me minor problems. I just wish I could get my old system back! Today is June 30 and it's 98 degrees in here, since the unit quit working today. I called the company which installed it, Century Systems in Lenoir, North Carolina, and was told it would be over a week before someone could come out!! I asked if they didn't do emergency calls and was told that if I wanted someone sent out as an emergency call, my warranty would not cover the call! I'm just getting started with putting Trane and Century Services names and their shoddy service before the public...reviews, then social media, then our local consumer investigative TV reporter, then the Better Business Bureau, whatever it takes. Trane is not making units like they did 20 or 30 years ago. They must now be made in China or else they are using plastic Chinese parts! After reading hundreds of reviews, I now know that this is just the beginning of nothing but trouble from this heat pump. Not to mention that my electric bills have gone up! From $50 to $70 more per month! And this is supposed to be a very energy efficient system. Do yourself a favor and buy anything other than Trane.

Date created: 2015-05-15 Name: Mike
Location: Columbus, OH

"Trane makes garbage"
I bought a heat pump and furnace 10 years ago. I had warranty repairs during the warranty period and many costly repairs after the warranty. Today, I get the news that the second compressor is bad along with other parts with a recommendation to replace the system. This has been the costliest HVAC system I've owned. Terrible.

Date created: 2015-05-01 Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Small, Quiet and Lower Operating Costs"
I have two air conditioning systems and live in a neighborhood where the only heating choice is electric. One of my systems failed two years ago and I replaced it with the Trane heat pump. In years past, I had investigated units made by Trane. They had an excellent reputation with a low repair rate, but had such a high initial cost that I had chosen other brands. This was in the face of recommendations by my brother who does HVAC installation and repair in another state 1000 miles away. However, I learned that in recent years Trane had become more competitive and the first cost of units with similar SEERs were pretty close to other competitors. This unit is much smaller than the 2.5 ton unit that it replaced. I could not walk around the old unit because it was too close to my house and the wall(a Phoenix term for our stucco over block fence). I can easily walk around the new unit. The units sits outside one bedroom and close to the window of a bathroom. The old unit was noticeably noisy when it operated. This unit is much quieter which is very nice. Finally, the old unit was an SEER of 10 and the law now requires a minimum of a 13 SEER. But I learned that an old unit declines in efficiency and may have been operating more like an SEER of 6 or 7. In any event, my electric bill declined $220 for the year following the installation even though our electric company had a slight rate increase. I am pleased with the purchase and have recommended the model to my son for his home.

Date created: 2015-01-29 Name: Joyce Shepperd
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL

"Never buy a Trane unit"
I purchased a Trane unit in 2011. Thankfully, I also purchased a 10-year extended warranty. It's had numerous problems since installing. The compressor went out in December 2014 and had to be replaced. Every time the weather changes, the unit goes out. The company who installed my unit has been wonderful about taking care of all the issues. They are just as perplexed as I am over the issues with this unit. I contacted Trane directly but there was no resolution from them. I will never purchase another Trane unit. Lots of money spent on a useless piece of equipment.

Date created: 2015-01-19 Name: Charles Gaskins
Location: Ayden, NC

"Five years and the Trane stopped"
After just 5 years of service, I lost the cooling system on a Saturday in July after spending over $900.00 on a repair; it was a factory defect that caused the failure. Three months later the heat would not start. This came from the moisture in the line from the first failure, another $850.00. I called the company and voiced my concern; after numerous calls, they helped with $150.00.

Date created: 2015-01-12 Name: Wayne Roberts
Location: Campbell River, BC

"Worst service ever"
Our first Trane ran off the rails 3 years early. It took 9 months to finally get something done. We had to replace the heat pump to find out they would only warranty it for 5 years, not the advertised 12. They told us that it was because new R-22 wasn't put in by the Trane rep. If I was told that before installing it, which I wasn't, I would have had them install new R-22! I highly recommend staying away from Trane products because of poor service and a total lack of communication between Trane and their local reps. The guys in charge are obviously too full of themselves to care about their customers!

Date created: 2014-12-20 Name: Joe
Location: Lynchburg, VA

"Trane disappoints"
Installed in 2011. The air handler in the basement produces a hum even when off (transformer?) and leaks large amounts of air through the panels. You can feel the air leaking when you stand next to it. The service company has come out several times. This makes it noisy as the air leaks out. In the end they taped the panels up. This was somewhat effective but it looks like crap. It's still noisy. I expected more from Trane. Other than that, I have had no other problems. Would likely not buy Trane again.

Date created: 2014-12-14 Name: ann shipman
Location: Hendersonville, NC

"I consider this one of the worst decisions I've ever made in relation to my home."
Six years after installation of this product in my home by McNutt Group, I am totally convinced that I was taken advantage of by this group and possibly that this product does not even come close to performing as advertised. The suggestion to use a 16 SEER unit to reduce the electric bill and use a CleanEffects unit for my breathing problems was the selling point. I am living on a small social security check in a small house, and my monthly electric bills are outrageously high and the air quality is as bad as it gets (dust continually). The unit did not fit into the designated area so was installed in a horizontal position in the crawl space of my home where the filter system is virtually impossible to access against a clay sloping bank chest high. The bank continues to deteriorate and signs of rust on the unit are appearing. Also of concern were some removal of supporting cement block walls supporting load-bearing walls which were not addressed. Considering the price of the units, it seems the company could have at least created better access to the unit for future maintenance, etc. I am convinced it was a rush job done by non-professional installers with no input from me, as I was attending to my mother in a nursing home every day and had recently lost my father. I trusted that the job would be done correctly...huge mistake. I was paying for periodic 'inspections' which also turned out to be a scam. One kid, who was supposed to be inspecting the unit, handed me a paper to sign after 'inspection', and after he left I realized he had been in the basement for about 20 minutes and the form I signed stated one and one half hours. I called the company and complained. The answer was simply, "He is no longer with us." There was no offer to send someone else to do an actual assessment. I never had them come back. I have since heard some horror stories of people who have had to replace entire systems because of improper installation problems. I have the name and info if interested. I did not receive basic changes to be made, which were in the contract. For instance, "more return in family room" and "more supply in kitchen". They simply moved one vent about four feet and left the old opening with the original ductwork, which I have covered with a rug as it is in a maple floor which I cannot afford to replace. A large cold air return was placed directly across from the fireplace. I am writing them at this time because needless to say I was under great stress with losing my parents and unable to attend to things for a few years. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to vent and give me feedback if you can help. PS - The cost of this mess was $13,800 from a reverse mortgage loan, so the dollar amount loss increases continually.

Date created: 2014-11-05 Name: G. Michaels
Location: Northern Virgina

"Still running strong"
Installed on November 1998. It ran perfectly every day since installation and still does. It is very efficient, and has always heated the house to the requested temperature on the coldest days and cooled to the requested temperature on the hottest days. It's now November 2014. The unit has never been serviced in any way in 16 years and the fan has run 24/7 to filter & circulate air. I'm probably irresponsible for not getting it serviced, but I've changed the filter regularly. I couldn't imagine a better system. If it broke down tomorrow I'd feel that I got more than my money's worth.

Date created: 2014-08-11 Name: V Daniels
Location: mobile al

"Dealer arrogance"
Went to Trane in Mobile, AL this morning and was told by parts person at the counter that they did not sell parts to the public. I replied that it might be hard to stop a trane, but it was even harder to start one. Told him that not being able to get parts could cause a person to consider what to buy when it came time to replace the system with a new one. He told me he didn't care. Great employee for customer relations. My unit will need to be replaced in the not too distant future and Trane will not be considered thanks to their policy and their employees.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>