Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2014-12-14 Name: ann shipman
Location: Hendersonville, NC

"I consider this one of the worst decisions I've ever made in relation to my home."
Six years after installation of this product in my home by McNutt Group, I am totally convinced that I was taken advantage of by this group and possibly that this product does not even come close to performing as advertised. The suggestion to use a 16 SEER unit to reduce the electric bill and use a CleanEffects unit for my breathing problems was the selling point. I am living on a small social security check in a small house, and my monthly electric bills are outrageously high and the air quality is as bad as it gets (dust continually). The unit did not fit into the designated area so was installed in a horizontal position in the crawl space of my home where the filter system is virtually impossible to access against a clay sloping bank chest high. The bank continues to deteriorate and signs of rust on the unit are appearing. Also of concern were some removal of supporting cement block walls supporting load-bearing walls which were not addressed. Considering the price of the units, it seems the company could have at least created better access to the unit for future maintenance, etc. I am convinced it was a rush job done by non-professional installers with no input from me, as I was attending to my mother in a nursing home every day and had recently lost my father. I trusted that the job would be done correctly...huge mistake. I was paying for periodic 'inspections' which also turned out to be a scam. One kid, who was supposed to be inspecting the unit, handed me a paper to sign after 'inspection', and after he left I realized he had been in the basement for about 20 minutes and the form I signed stated one and one half hours. I called the company and complained. The answer was simply, "He is no longer with us." There was no offer to send someone else to do an actual assessment. I never had them come back. I have since heard some horror stories of people who have had to replace entire systems because of improper installation problems. I have the name and info if interested. I did not receive basic changes to be made, which were in the contract. For instance, "more return in family room" and "more supply in kitchen". They simply moved one vent about four feet and left the old opening with the original ductwork, which I have covered with a rug as it is in a maple floor which I cannot afford to replace. A large cold air return was placed directly across from the fireplace. I am writing them at this time because needless to say I was under great stress with losing my parents and unable to attend to things for a few years. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to vent and give me feedback if you can help. PS - The cost of this mess was $13,800 from a reverse mortgage loan, so the dollar amount loss increases continually.

Date created: 2014-11-05 Name: G. Michaels
Location: Northern Virgina

"Still running strong"
Installed on November 1998. It ran perfectly every day since installation and still does. It is very efficient, and has always heated the house to the requested temperature on the coldest days and cooled to the requested temperature on the hottest days. It's now November 2014. The unit has never been serviced in any way in 16 years and the fan has run 24/7 to filter & circulate air. I'm probably irresponsible for not getting it serviced, but I've changed the filter regularly. I couldn't imagine a better system. If it broke down tomorrow I'd feel that I got more than my money's worth.

Date created: 2014-08-11 Name: V Daniels
Location: mobile al

"Dealer arrogance"
Went to Trane in Mobile, AL this morning and was told by parts person at the counter that they did not sell parts to the public. I replied that it might be hard to stop a trane, but it was even harder to start one. Told him that not being able to get parts could cause a person to consider what to buy when it came time to replace the system with a new one. He told me he didn't care. Great employee for customer relations. My unit will need to be replaced in the not too distant future and Trane will not be considered thanks to their policy and their employees.

Date created: 2014-08-06 Name: K Hohlfelder
Location: Concord, OH

"NOT HARD TO STOP THIS TRANE!"
Nothing but $$$$ flowing out of this expensive packaged top of the line 11yr old heat pump. All kinds of problems including blower, heat strip, 2 contactors, fuses, etc. (Thousands) Last time it quit, I was told it would be better to replace it.....I Thought, "No Kidding, I am not putting another dime into this piece of junk" If Trane would put half of the money that they put into their tv ads into their product quality, then maybe they would have better reviews and better equipment! I will never buy into tv hype again. I will trust reputable contractors over actors any day of the week!

Date created: 2014-07-09 Name: V. Gouse
Location: Conyers, GA

"Motor Capacitor"
Unit is less than 3 years old. Motor capacitor had to be replaced. Trane warranty only paid for the part. I had to pay for the labor which was $106.00. This is not what I expected from Trane. For the price, labor should be covered for the first five years. My previous unit lasted 10 years before needing any parts replaced. It is my understanding that I will probably have to replace the capacitor every two or three years. This is not acceptable. I definitely would not recommend purchasing a Trane.

Date created: 2014-07-02 Name: Rusty King
Location: Cross City Fla.

"Know how to stop a trane? You turn it on!!!!"
The was 10 months old when it stopped working That was in April. It's now July and Trane has still not fixed the problem and refuses to replace the unit.

Date created: 2014-05-15 Name: B. Butler
Location: moss point ms

"Trane Weathertron 1981"
I had a Trane installed in 1981, the only issues we have had are a couple of relays and a couple of motor start capacitors , never any major parts and it still runs fine, we had the freon checked when serviced but never needed any. From what I'm reading on this site they just don't make them like they used too. It may may die any day but it has had a long healthy life.

Date created: 2014-03-09 Name: D R
Location: Washington, IA

"DON'T BUY A TRANE!!!"
I bought a heat pump/AC unit 3 years ago because I thought my 40 year old unit was probably not very efficient. I wish I would've kept the old unit or purchased a different brand!! They made all kinds of promises (your heating/cooling bills will be drastically reduced, etc.) and none of them were true! The new unit costs just as much, if not more, to run as my old unit did. It literally runs for 3-4 hours just to raise the temperature by 8 degrees. Check reviews, do research, and don't buy a Trane!!

Date created: 2014-01-12 Name: H. Hamy
Location: Hockessin, DE

"How do you buy a Trane that actually works?"
I previously thought Trane was the best, but after my son had two units installed and had problems and now our newly installed 8 and 4 ton units have not worked well I have changed my mind. After our last service call, the smaller unit actually only provides heat in emergency mode. My wife has a terminal illness and I would like to reduce stress on her, but it doesn't look like that is possible any time soon.

Date created: 2013-09-26 Name: R. Kevin Whisman
Location: Annapolis Md

"How to Stop a Trane - Buy One!"
What's so disappointing about the problems with this unit is how I was treated by both Trane Inc. and the installer. The unit went down within a few days of the warranty running out. It did take me a fews days to figure out that there something wasn't right with the heat pump. I ended up calling Trane the day after the warranty ran out. They literally wouldn't discuss it to me. When the installer came to the house they wanted thousands of dollars to fix it. How could this be, I'd had it for just 5 years. I asked them to leave. Called another company who got it up and working with the caveat that this Trane heat pump will soon die and really it can't be repaired. It should be replaced after 5 years of use. Don't buy a Trane.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>