Consumer Reviews of TRANE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TRANE heat pumps

<< Previous2021222324252627282930Next >>

Date created: 2008-08-20 Name: Jeff P.
Location: Central Illinois

"Heat Pump nightmare"
I had a Trane 16 XLi installed in my house with a completely new system. We were on emergency heat almost all of the time because the outside unit and blower weren’t communicating. Numerous repair people came out even the local Trane rep and nobody could get it to work. Local Trane Reps here in Central il. refused to help - they would promise to take care of it and then never call back - I even wrote a letter to the company and received no response at all. it's a nightmare company that cost me hundreds of extra dollars in heating bills and wouldn’t stand behind a brand new system.

Date created: 2008-08-11 Name: D. Stern
Location: Jacksonville, FL

"Very Unsatisfied"
"You can never stop a Trane" Ha. Two years after we bought 2 units the compressor in one had to be replaced.........$750.00. We were totally surprised by this kind of repair bill. I have been careful to turn the temp up to 82 as recommended by our electric company, so the unit was not being abused. We previously had two Carrier heat pumps. They both lasted 15 years, and one of the 2 lasted 25 years.

Date created: 2008-08-04 Name: Ken W.
Location: San Antonio, TX

"How do you stop a Trane? Turn it on!"
Have you ever seen the movie "a Christmas story"? The scenes where the father fights the furnace would almost show the effort required to keep this unit running. Unit started leaking freon at year 8, has needed three contactors, 1 starting capacitor, has not worked in Heating mode for 5 years, however original coils work very well. Unit freezes up constantly (due to low freon levels) sometimes it won’t turn on for no apparent reason. I think the Trane company is responsible for half of the hole in the ozone layer due to their leaky coils.

Date created: 2008-08-03 Name: Dennis Kirk
Location: Terrebonne, Oregon

"Nothing Runs like a Trane I hope not no one would get there"
I had a Trane Heatpump installed in my brand new 4,000 sq foot home. I am sorry I did. I have had so many serivce calls even with an extended warrenty. Everything has wrong. Four months before the extened warrenty expired the heating contractor determined the compressor was failing. They replaced it. Then 6 months later a valve failed causing the unit to freeze up. Now periodically the the systme simply fails to deliver cold air. Nothing from the vents. 30 Days ago the service technician came out spent about 3 hours and could find nothing wrong after that the system work find for about 30 days and now is failing to deliver cold air. Either Quality heaitng of Redmond Oregon is imcompetant or Trane is a very poor quality system. At this point I would replace it with anything but a Trane.

Date created: 2008-07-31 Name: John G.
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"New Trane can't compete with 18 yr. old Carrier"
I bought a 3.5 ton Trane xl 1200 heat pump in Sept. '05. When it heats up in the summer (over 105) the thing runs for 50 min. Out of every hour. When it tops 110, it runs nonstop and won't cool the house below 79 degrees (I have documented run times several times over the years). The 18 yr. Old Carrier it replaced never had a problem doing this. I only replaced it because it needed service and it was very old. I thought it would be better to put my money into a new, efficient unit. What a mistake. Trane techs have been coming out here repeatedly and tell me that this is normal operation. Really? I thought I'd save electricity by going from an ancient 8 SEER to a 12 SEER. Nope. Not likely when the unit is running all the time. Today they tried to tell me that my house isn't insulated well enough (didn't seem to bother the Carrier). My two next door neighbors (same houses, same insulation) went the cheap route and purchased Goodman units. They do not have these problems. I feel like an idiot for forking out an extra $2K for a (supposedly) top of the line unit which is obviously inferior to the cheapest unit on the market. On top of all that, the installation, by what is supposed to be the top rated Trane dealer in the area, was a complete botch job. The brought the wrong pitch rooftop stand, then they brought the wrong unit (left hand instead of right hand) and rigged my ductwork with flex ducts to make it blow in the right direction. I can't believe I paid top dollar for this. If they offered me my old battered Carrier unit back, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Date created: 2008-07-21 Name: Michael
Location: Seattle, WA

"Trane heat pump"
Bought a new house with a Trane. The first year it froze up. No one, including Trane can fix the thing. I have had multiple servicing firms come out and look at it. I would not buy a new Trane and I think that Trane would guarantee their products better.

Date created: 2008-07-03 Name: Brian Hall
Location: Dunkirk, MD

"TRANE - reputation undeserved!"
Bought a 5 year-old house (now 7 years old) with a Trane heat pump (Actually 2 - 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs). The first winter here the upstairs unit wouldn't heat the house and the monthly electric bill was >$500. The repairperson said the unit was kicking into emergency heat mode improperly and we were lucky it didn't burn out (or burn us up!) Our second summer here and the downstairs unit won't keep the downstairs cool. Repairman says the "valves are shot" and the entire unit needs to be replaced - "...they don't usually fail this fast" - recommends new $9k Trane unit - hah! Wouldn't install another Trane if you paid me.

Date created: 2008-05-07 Name: R Seaton
Location: Evansville, Indiana

Absolutely the worst purchase I have ever made. This 16 sear 3 ton unit is on the third compressor in just 28 months and the entire unit has never performed right from day one and I cant find a Trane tech that can fix it or even tell me what is wrong with it.

Date created: 2008-04-01 Name: Morris Wallace
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD

My home when purchased had a ge Weathertron system that functioned superbly. The first problem was the outside heat-pump and I had it replaced with a Trane xl1200. I did not have the inside air handler replaced because it was functioning 100%. Here it is 2008 and the only problem I'm having now is the blower motor has a noise. I'm considering replacing just the inside handler with a Trane 2tgb 2.5ton unit. Can't beat a Trane.

Date created: 2008-03-26 Name: C Holden
Location: Central Florida

We own two units, and in 19 years, we've only had to replace a switch.

<< Previous2021222324252627282930Next >>