Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous192021222324252627282930Next >>

Date created: 2009-01-31 Name: Jim F
Location: Bethlehem, PA

"Fair experience with Trane"
In August 2004 I bought a new Trane 4twx4042 Heat Pump and twe049 Air handler (variable speed) with 20kW electric heat - 93,000 btu heating capacity for a 2300 sq ft 2-2tory colonial. Initial results were very good: total heating and a/c costs were down about one third. But then, after two years, the control board in the compressor unit went out. The dealer/installer replaced it under warranty but he charged us nothing because he said it shouldn't have happened (his cost). Now, I'm finally trying to use the programmable thermostat to save some money on changing temperature from night to day but it isn't working the way it is supposed to be. The Aux heat comes on every time the unit heats up even one degree which is probably eliminating any energy saving during the night. So, I can't say I'm real impressed by the unit yet and I'm concerned with all the problems I see reported on this site.

Date created: 2009-01-28 Name: Lynn
Location: Ramona, CA

"We are very unhappy"
We had our heat pump installed 5 years ago. The installer promised a 30% savings in electricity. Not only did we not see any savings (as monitored by kwh, not the electric bill $), the thing will not heat the house in the morning, when it is coldest. Granted, we live in San Diego county, but we have some altitude and lots of frosty mornings. The house heats great when its like 55 degrees in the afternoon, but blows cold air when its 28 degrees in the morning (outside). Multiple trips from the installer and independent contractors have not solved the problem. We have renewed disgust every winter when this happens. It does seem to cool ok, but again, we did not save any money. Thank god we don't live in a really cold climate!

Date created: 2009-01-21 Name: J. Bates
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"Review of Trane Heat Pump"
We put a Trane Heat Pump in our home just over 10 years ago. It worked well until right after the warranty expired. I would have been happy to have it repaired but Trane stated they have only a few parts left because it is an older unit. They are charging a lot of money for the part. According to our contractor, the price of the part is 6 times what it was just a year ago.

Date created: 2009-01-14 Name: M Blackledge
Location: Ellisville, MS

"PIECE OF JUNK"
I am a disabled elderly widow. I paid $5,500 after Hurricane Katrina for a Trane Heat Pump. The outside unit has frozen every winter! The man who installed it did not tell me it would freeze up until after he put it in & got his money. Today it is 24 degees, 65 maybe in my house!! Had I known about this problem, I would never have bought a Trane and I never will again! Repairman has made numerous trips but never solves the problem. TRANE-your product is a rip-off! Very, very dissatisfied with unit!

Date created: 2009-01-09 Name: G. Sobul
Location: Chase, MD

"Trane Heat Pump"
I bought a house in 2005 with the original unit from 1987. The home inspector at the time of purchase suggested replacing it in the near future. However, it has been working great. I thought I would purchase another until I began reading the reviews. It appears the older systems are much more dependable than the newer units. Wow, now I am perplexed.

Date created: 2008-12-29 Name: B. Cobb
Location: Speedwell, TN

"Trane review"
Had my Trane installed in 1985. Have not had any problems whatsoever. Still running great. I am getting worried that it may decide to quite on the coldest night of the winter, just because she has been great for so long. Nothing last for ever, not even a Trane.

Date created: 2008-12-28 Name: PJ sturdevant
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

"New Trane Heat Pump is a looser"
The new Trane Heat Pump is nowhere as efficient as the old Trane/GE unit I had installed in the house in 1984. It lasted for more than 20 years and was more than 20% more efficient than the new one. I have 25 years of power usage to compare. I am in the process of sending this to Trane. At this point it may be worth the cost to replace the new unit with one that is an improvement over the 1984 model.

Date created: 2008-12-27 Name: S.
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"LIKE A BAD NIGHTMARE ....."
I recently purchased a brand new Trane 3.5 ton 13 seer heat pump after my 17 yr old 3.5 ton Goodman bit the dust. My Goodman lasted the entire time without a single service call or issue!! The Trane has been a nightmare.... Within 3 months I have had the circuit board blow out and Freon leaks. Last night, it got down into the 30's here in Phoenix and my system ran and would not get up over 66 degrees. I am being told that this is "normal" and that all units cannot raise the temperature more than 30 degrees variant between the outdoor temps and the temp the unit is set inside. So, I asked the serviceman, "what if you were elderly, and you have a brand new Trane unit, and it is 30 degrees outside, does that mean that your home will not get warmer than 60 degrees? And the answer was yes, that it will not get warmer! I have never heard of such a thing... basically, I am stuck with this "new" unit, that just runs and runs, yet my other "older" unit never had this problem, nor do any of my neighbors, family members or friends. I suspect too that I will continue to have problems then when the summer hits and temps rise to 115f -- under this theory, I can only expect my home to cool down to a max of 86 degrees. I will never get a Trane system again ... piece of junk and this is probably only the beginning of my problems with this system. Also this system has the Dirty socks syndrome" -- which I never had with my other system. Of course, Trane is telling me that it is the indoor quality of my air and not their system although this problem is well documented with Trane - problem with the heating coils and most folks who have this problem, have had them replaced.

Date created: 2008-12-21 Name: t taylor

"Running of unit"
My new heat pump doesn't shut off very often when it gets down to 35 degrees.

Date created: 2008-12-05 Name: K Obre
Location: Gilbert, AZ

"21 yrs of great service"
I bought this house new in 1987, had a Trane heat pump 3.5 ton on the house. Had the four way valve go bad the first year, changed out for free. Comp just went out on the unit so I am looking for another ac. Looks like a Trane is coming my way again.

<< Previous192021222324252627282930Next >>