Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous18192021222324252627282930Next >>

Date created: 2009-03-17 Name: T Tsui
Location: Chandler, AZ

"I thought only I got a lemon"
I bought a Trane xl13 heat pump with a variable speed air handler back in 2001. I bought it because neighbor told me Trane is a good brand. I paid a premium price for the system thinking it would last at least 10+ years. Well, I was wrong. a couple of years ago the outdoor unit leaked out all the refrigerant on one day. The leak was caused by a hole formed on a copper tube that was caused by a prolong rubbing action with another copper tube. Last summer, the outdoor unit failed and it was caused by a clogged control valve issue. The serviceman replaced all the control valves. Just a month ago, it broke again. This time it is the compressor. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty, but I began to wonder if there will be more issues to come.

Date created: 2009-03-16 Name: P C
Location: New Haven, CT

"Yet another disappointing unit"
I just had a Trane XL16i heat pump installed with an xv80 gas furnace, and am already experiencing numerous problems with the unit. Three installer visits later and ... now that it is running it hardly produces any heat (even when its 50 degress out!) The blower runs at high speed and does nothing but create a very cold draft in the house. I'm going to tell the installers to remove the unit and never come back. I wish better fortune to those of you who test your luck with Trane, because I lost.

Date created: 2009-03-11 Name: D. Young
Location: Columbus, Ohio

"19i Heat Pump with Gas Back up"
Exceptional performance in improving my comfort level. My upstairs is now much cooler in summer and more comfortable in winter. This 2 compressor technology is the best thing ever. Two air conditioners in one. I love it.

Date created: 2009-03-09 Name: R. J Boot
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

"Ormond Bech"
Ran fine for the first 3 years. then it began to run continuly most of the time blowing cool air. Power bill tripled. Dealer service man has not been able to fix it. May have to go back to heating with gas.

Date created: 2009-03-01 Name: T. May
Location: Ten Mile, Tennessee

"Trane Heat Pump xl-19"
You would not let me print the complete honest truth about this unit and product! This has to be the most inefficient piece of junk ever produced! It will not heat and if it ever begins to heat the house, it immediately goes into a cooling mode and destroys what little heat it has produced. I can get more heat from a lit candle! If the out side temperature drops below 40 degrees, it will run continually. No one can explain except to say this is the way it is and paying good money for a technician to check is a joke. Anyone who buys this product should have their head examined. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made. a total waste of money.

Date created: 2009-03-01 Name: Roger Johnson
Location: Oak Ridge, TN

"1973 Weathertron running great"
10 years ago I thought it might be time to replace our then 26 year old ge Weathertron 2.5 t unit. a commercial refrigeration engineer asked why I would replace a running unit. It is still running, but I feel the opportunity cost now would justify replacing it. We do need new ductwork. I just don't want to fix something that isn't broken; replaced by a potential lemon.

Date created: 2009-02-28 Name: Ed Gold
Location: North Carolina

"Trane xl16"
I've lost count how many times it has been repaired. Right after it was put in, four times no heat, no emergency heat. They finally got the heat pump working reliably, but never could get the emergency heat going. I had to hire someone else to come out and they told me it wasn't wired right to begin with. Then no heat during defrost, and again improper wiring. You would think a Trane dealer would know how to wire it up to begin with! Thermostat does not work right, the expensive "clean effects" doesn't work at all and every time it goes into defrost it gives off a burning smell all over the house. It's also very noisey, much more so then my old Trane. The outside unit comes on with a loud thump and the prgramable thermostat bothered me so much I had to wire it up to a remote temperature sensor and move it out to the garage! And don't ever put anything bad in one of those Trane surveys!!!! I just put in the truth that they came out, charged me a lot and never fixed the problem, the next thing I know I've got the guy from the dealer calling me up and chewing me out because I got him in trouble with Trane. I finally had to hang up on him and he called me back and left a less than polite message on my answering machine.

Date created: 2009-02-12 Name: Ron Stotler
Location: Green Cove Springs, FL

"Home owner"
Replaced a 20 year old carrier with xl 14 in '03 and bought extended warranty. I am on my 4th a- coil and 2nd compressor. I have had at least one major repair a year and trane and dealer hve honored warrenty, but labor and puron have cost close to $3k. I know several Trane owners and I am only one with a lemon. Trane recently paid part of labor bill to replace the compressor out of good will 4 bad a coils in 6 years is a bit much

Date created: 2009-02-10 Name: L Savage
Location: Ramona, CA

"Dissatisfied homeowner"
I never saved 30% in electricity as the installer promised, and the piece of junk will not heat when it is cold outside. I live in a mild climate, but we still get mornings in the upper twenties, and the when we need heat the most, the thing blows cool air for 2 hours. In the afternoon, which may be 40-50 degrees, it heats just fine. seems to cool ok, but again, no energy savings. Multiple service visits by the installer and other heat/a/c contractors have not solved the problem. I see I'm not the only one. Heat pumps are supposed to more efficient, the colder it is!!! Don't buy one of these things, and don't listen to the sales dude.

Date created: 2009-02-06 Name: S Fleischmann

"Trane XL19i"
Two years ago I purchased the Trane xl19 outside and inside units to the tune of $12,000. The unit is said to be plenty big to heat/cool my 3,200 sf home, as I also have another smaller unit in the back of the house. The big unit, XL19i seems to cool fine in the summer, but here in fl we do have a few cold nights. When setting the thermostat to 65 degrees, it will not heat above 63 degrees and runs constantly. After 3 cold nights of use last month, my electric bill was $468.00, compared to $322.00 in the summer when it is 90 degrees outside. I am very dissatisfied with the unit, although I am told there is nothing wrong with it. My old 20 year Trane was much better than this one. Do not let the a/c sales people sell you on their claims that your home will be less dusty and your heating/cooling bills will be less. That is total bs.

<< Previous18192021222324252627282930Next >>