Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous181920212223242526272829Next >>

Date created: 2009-02-12 Name: Ron Stotler
Location: Green Cove Springs, FL

"Home owner"
Replaced a 20 year old carrier with xl 14 in '03 and bought extended warranty. I am on my 4th a- coil and 2nd compressor. I have had at least one major repair a year and trane and dealer hve honored warrenty, but labor and puron have cost close to $3k. I know several Trane owners and I am only one with a lemon. Trane recently paid part of labor bill to replace the compressor out of good will 4 bad a coils in 6 years is a bit much

Date created: 2009-02-10 Name: L Savage
Location: Ramona, CA

"Dissatisfied homeowner"
I never saved 30% in electricity as the installer promised, and the piece of junk will not heat when it is cold outside. I live in a mild climate, but we still get mornings in the upper twenties, and the when we need heat the most, the thing blows cool air for 2 hours. In the afternoon, which may be 40-50 degrees, it heats just fine. seems to cool ok, but again, no energy savings. Multiple service visits by the installer and other heat/a/c contractors have not solved the problem. I see I'm not the only one. Heat pumps are supposed to more efficient, the colder it is!!! Don't buy one of these things, and don't listen to the sales dude.

Date created: 2009-02-06 Name: S Fleischmann

"Trane XL19i"
Two years ago I purchased the Trane xl19 outside and inside units to the tune of $12,000. The unit is said to be plenty big to heat/cool my 3,200 sf home, as I also have another smaller unit in the back of the house. The big unit, XL19i seems to cool fine in the summer, but here in fl we do have a few cold nights. When setting the thermostat to 65 degrees, it will not heat above 63 degrees and runs constantly. After 3 cold nights of use last month, my electric bill was $468.00, compared to $322.00 in the summer when it is 90 degrees outside. I am very dissatisfied with the unit, although I am told there is nothing wrong with it. My old 20 year Trane was much better than this one. Do not let the a/c sales people sell you on their claims that your home will be less dusty and your heating/cooling bills will be less. That is total bs.

Date created: 2009-01-31 Name: Jim F
Location: Bethlehem, PA

"Fair experience with Trane"
In August 2004 I bought a new Trane 4twx4042 Heat Pump and twe049 Air handler (variable speed) with 20kW electric heat - 93,000 btu heating capacity for a 2300 sq ft 2-2tory colonial. Initial results were very good: total heating and a/c costs were down about one third. But then, after two years, the control board in the compressor unit went out. The dealer/installer replaced it under warranty but he charged us nothing because he said it shouldn't have happened (his cost). Now, I'm finally trying to use the programmable thermostat to save some money on changing temperature from night to day but it isn't working the way it is supposed to be. The Aux heat comes on every time the unit heats up even one degree which is probably eliminating any energy saving during the night. So, I can't say I'm real impressed by the unit yet and I'm concerned with all the problems I see reported on this site.

Date created: 2009-01-28 Name: Lynn
Location: Ramona, CA

"We are very unhappy"
We had our heat pump installed 5 years ago. The installer promised a 30% savings in electricity. Not only did we not see any savings (as monitored by kwh, not the electric bill $), the thing will not heat the house in the morning, when it is coldest. Granted, we live in San Diego county, but we have some altitude and lots of frosty mornings. The house heats great when its like 55 degrees in the afternoon, but blows cold air when its 28 degrees in the morning (outside). Multiple trips from the installer and independent contractors have not solved the problem. We have renewed disgust every winter when this happens. It does seem to cool ok, but again, we did not save any money. Thank god we don't live in a really cold climate!

Date created: 2009-01-21 Name: J. Bates
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"Review of Trane Heat Pump"
We put a Trane Heat Pump in our home just over 10 years ago. It worked well until right after the warranty expired. I would have been happy to have it repaired but Trane stated they have only a few parts left because it is an older unit. They are charging a lot of money for the part. According to our contractor, the price of the part is 6 times what it was just a year ago.

Date created: 2009-01-14 Name: M Blackledge
Location: Ellisville, MS

"PIECE OF JUNK"
I am a disabled elderly widow. I paid $5,500 after Hurricane Katrina for a Trane Heat Pump. The outside unit has frozen every winter! The man who installed it did not tell me it would freeze up until after he put it in & got his money. Today it is 24 degees, 65 maybe in my house!! Had I known about this problem, I would never have bought a Trane and I never will again! Repairman has made numerous trips but never solves the problem. TRANE-your product is a rip-off! Very, very dissatisfied with unit!

Date created: 2009-01-09 Name: G. Sobul
Location: Chase, MD

"Trane Heat Pump"
I bought a house in 2005 with the original unit from 1987. The home inspector at the time of purchase suggested replacing it in the near future. However, it has been working great. I thought I would purchase another until I began reading the reviews. It appears the older systems are much more dependable than the newer units. Wow, now I am perplexed.

Date created: 2008-12-29 Name: B. Cobb
Location: Speedwell, TN

"Trane review"
Had my Trane installed in 1985. Have not had any problems whatsoever. Still running great. I am getting worried that it may decide to quite on the coldest night of the winter, just because she has been great for so long. Nothing last for ever, not even a Trane.

Date created: 2008-12-28 Name: PJ sturdevant
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

"New Trane Heat Pump is a looser"
The new Trane Heat Pump is nowhere as efficient as the old Trane/GE unit I had installed in the house in 1984. It lasted for more than 20 years and was more than 20% more efficient than the new one. I have 25 years of power usage to compare. I am in the process of sending this to Trane. At this point it may be worth the cost to replace the new unit with one that is an improvement over the 1984 model.

<< Previous181920212223242526272829Next >>