Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>

Date created: 2009-09-10 Name: John

"Trane Heat Pum"
I have two trane heat pumps, 2 ton unit and a 1.5 ton unit, for 23 years and still going only problem have had is the 2 ton had to replace a switch in it after 18 years cost me $70 bucks than had a blown fuse on electrical supply bad,

Date created: 2009-09-07 Name: Mr Brock

"I'll Never Buy Another. It's a Cash Cow."
I started out with my Trane Heat Pumps in 1992. An xl 1200 model with a Variable Speed Air Handler. 5 Ton capacity. It came with 15kw heat strips although contractor quoted 20kw. Heat strip had to be replaced to 20's because inside house temperature would drop 5 degrees every time unit went to defrost cycle. Freeze then thaw. I replaced this unit with a XLi14 outside unit in 2007 but not before I spent $ 5,000 on repairs including 3 compressors on the xl1200. One under parts warranty but cost me $ 600 labor. Most all of the circuit boards had been replaced in the old one at one time or the other. Also three blower wheels. Now the motor in the air handler went out. They want $ 2,500 to replace it since it's no longer available. Dealers want almost $ 5,000 for a new variable speed air handler. The XLi14 does not cool nearly as well as the xl1200. I have 2150 sf of heated area and the 5 ton seems to be maxed out. I've had it serviced regularly and all have checked ok. So far I've spent about $ 20,000 on it including the purchase price. My neighbors all have "builder's model" type units of various manufacturers and none have experienced the trouble I've had and most of their unit haven't been replaced yet nor have they spent anywhere close to as much on repairs as I have. Trane parts are much more expensive then any I've ever bought for other units. Their dealers seems to charge more for their labor too. Trane compressors are proprietary and one would cost a fortune to replace. It's almost impossible to get through to Trane and they will not help you out with any problem you have. I've never been able to get any reply from them. Once the Dealer sells you the unit they don't know you around here. Trane's advertisements are just a bunch of Hype. I say look at other manufacturers units before you consider a Trane. I've owned many other units from other manufacturers and all gave better service than my Tranes. Do your research before you buy, very carefully, including who sells and installs it for you. Some of the local dealers here have in house telemarketers who only want to sell but not service.

Date created: 2009-09-04 Name: F. Bechtel

"Poor Reliability"
Installed 3 ton Trane twx036c100a2 heat pump in 1997 with variable speed air handler. First problem was variable speed air handler. Printed circuit card in ge motor end bell failed. Came back from a trip in late winter and house was cold. Next problem was contactor in compressor unit. Present problem is a failed compressor. Very expensive to replace. Am now in decision process of how to proceed. I will be reluctant to go with Trane a second time. Once a mistake, twice a fool.

Date created: 2009-08-27 Name: J. Fisher

"Unsatisfied 1st Time Buyer TRANE customer"
The XLi14 Trane system that was installed in April, 2006 has given nothing but problems ever since. First the a temperature control switch failed (under warrenty), then a diverier valve failed ($650.00), then the compressor fan failed ($350.00), and now the evaporator coil has a leak ($1200.00). I have spent over $2,000 in a five year period for a system which cost only $5700 to install. Seriously considering ripping the thing out and putting in another brand system that is more reliable and cost efficient.

Date created: 2009-08-20 Name: Robert D.

"RESEARCH YOUR DEALER FIRST!"
I had an XL19i installed May of 08. I had 5 other bids including 2 other trane dealers. I made the decision to go with the Trane Comfort Specialist from recommendation off the Trane website. They were the only ones to do a heat load and determined that my existing Carrier was oversized and that the ductwork installed was not size per cfm requirements of the oversized Carrier let alone the smaller properly sized trane. This dealer was 5,000 more than the second highest estimate but was the only one to do a heat load, inspect the ductwork and guarantee not only their craftsmanship for a Lifetime but they gave me a 10 year parts and Labor warranty STANDARD...They were also the only ones to give me references.. Not one or two but 20 pages of satisfied customers with phone #'S.... My house now is the most comfortable house I have ever been in and my heating bills have dropped 50%!!!!! My advice to you all is to research your dealer first. Like Steve from Advantage Heating From Selah wa told me, you can purchase the best equipment available but if it is not installed properly it is worthless... Also, look at the other manufacturers on this site and they all have the same amount of bad ratings. Read the reviews and it becomes clear that 90% of the complaints are because of poor decision of choosing a dealer no matter what brand.

Date created: 2009-08-13 Name: Anita Campbell

"Anita"
Our $4500 unit started having problems with bad evaporator coils right after the first year. Both coils ended up being replaced a couple of times. Of course, none of the labor costs were not covered. After 2 years, Trane decided to give us a new unit. The installation cost was over $1600. After 10 months, the coil is leaking again!!! Now, after checking with the Trane sales person, they are finally telling us that it's the sulfur in our water that is causing the coils to corrode and they will make us a new coil that is coated with a substance that will make it last longer. Another $1000 for installation. My question is: why didn't they diagnose the problem when we started having the problem so we could have taken care of it without spending so much money on labor costs? This sulphur information was not included in their literature, nor was the installer aware of it. However, when he called the Trane salesman in Tulsa, he immediately knew what the problem was. We are fuming!!!!

Date created: 2009-08-11 Name: J. Brown

"Heat pump A/C Package Unit"
Heat Pump/ a/c Unit is a 16 year old Trane 4 Ton Package Unit. Replaced the compressor 5 years ago. That was the only problem I have had yet, Unit still running today. Usually People will only post opinions if they are mad and have bad experiences Think about how many satisfied people that are out there happy to own a Trane. If you want to know the truth ask your neighbor or someone who owns one. No I do not work for Trane I am a Very Satisfied and nice and cool homeowner.

Date created: 2009-08-11 Name: Jim Donnelly

"Jim Donnelly"
Bought the Trane unit for " the long haul". Every 1.5 years, there was some problem (usually the variable speed fan/ or module for same). Costly repairs. Warranty not worth anything.

Date created: 2009-08-11 Name: S Schesloc

"Trane Ground Based heat pumps"
I had 12 Ground Based heat pumps installed in 2003 . In 2006 and 2007 all 12 heat pumps failed and were replaced at a cost of over $100,000. This year 8 of these units failed and need repair. Trane has insisted that these units on all three occasions are not covered by the extended warranty I have with them.If you are considering Heat Pumps stay away from Trane. They do not stand by their product. If you know of a good Warranty litigation attorney send him my way.

Date created: 2009-07-30 Name: J.George

"XB12 03/2003"
Was working fine up until 4 days ago now compressor shot house was built in late 2002 not sure there is any warranty on unit.

<< Previous131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>