Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>

Date created: 2009-10-26 Name: Joe Schmitt

"XL14i heat pump FAILED"
Just barely 4 years old and looking at a $1000 labor repair bill for 3 failed components. After all I paid for the parts warranty. I shiver at what that would have cost. The service guy said if I had not caught this in time the compressor would have went too and this $5,700 unit would be shot. When I contacted trane the email response was that inferior parts are used in their products and it is unfortunate. It appears they are not too concerned about quality products or repeat customers. I will share my experience with friends and family looking to upgrade/replace their systems now or in the future. a bad experience is never forgotten.

Date created: 2009-10-24 Name: J. Groshel

"XL1800"
Had planned on installing a full GeoThermal system but the dealer and I agreed that an xl1800 was the next best route to go. Install and initial operations were fine but it took a while to figure out how to get the best from the unit (ie. night time temps settings and morning ramp ups) . In the second year the defrost cycles were causing the house to get cool and there was a excessive amount of AUX heat running. Dealer identified a bad Defrost Board and a problem with the Trane thermostat. Board replaced under warranty...thermostat cost me $300. About six years into ownership the house again started getting cold when the unit was in defrost. One heat strip was found bad and was replaced under warranty. After eight years another defrost board bad (on my nickle this time ...$300+). The final thing was that at 10 years a broken tree limb hit the outdoor unit and smashed three plastic grills and heavily dented the lid on the outdoor unit. Unit operated fine... My regular dealer and two more in the area tried to get replacement parts with no luck. I tried myself going through dealers outside the state (Pa, N.C. and Ga.) with still no luck. Calls to Trane were barely acknowledged. Finally going through Trane factory and independent distributors I realized that if the distributors didn't stock them originally the parts don't exist. Trane factory does not support units more than 10 years old. All the dealers & distributors (about 10 parties in all) were very nice and tried to help but I was out of luck. In the end I fabricated parts from aluminum and what was left of my broken plastic parts. When the unit worked it worked great and I had very reasonable heating bills but too many problems in the first eight years that makes me wonder what to expect down the road. With this top of the line heatpump I expected 20 relatively trouble free years of service. I have a second house that will be needing a new heatpump and I really have to think twice before selecting Trane again.

Date created: 2009-10-22 Name: F. Marsh

"Make sure you have a good warranty"
I have a Trane 4-ton Weathertron Heat Pump split system that was installed by a local Heat and Air company. They gave me a 10-year parts and labor warranty. Believe me that warranty was like gold because otherwise without parts and labor being covered, I would have spent a considerably amount of money (I estimate over $2000) in repairs. If all I had was a parts warranty, I would have spent (I estimate) around $1000 for labor to install the parts and recharge the system. 2001 - System installed but the head installer didn't know that he had a valve closed at the outside unit and couldn't figure out why the system wasn't working correctly. Later that day, another tech came over and opened the valve and the system started working. 2001 - After complaining about deficiencies in the installation, the contractor sent another crew out and they worked all day to correct the shoddy installation left by the first crew. 2002 - 2004 - No Problems 2005 - 2007 - 6 service calls for: recharge the system twice, Replaced the defrost control circuit board and ambient sensor, replaced the expansion valve, left wire off during the repair and system fail to operate correctly - replaced wire to fix, replace the indoor evaporator unit (would have cost me $$$$ without warranty). 2008 - 2009 - no problems

Date created: 2009-10-20 Name: Candy Naff

"Ms."
I still own the Trane. February 2009 my unit wasn't heating. It was 65 in my house. Called dealer and he said it would be late before he could come by the house. I set thermostat on emergency heat and after the house warmed up I set thermostat on regular setting and it did fine. In June 2009, the unit quit cooling. Coil had to be replaced. Labor cost me $394. I had a Rheem unit for over 20 yrs. and never had a bit of trouble. Since I have purchased this unit I have heard nothing positive about Trane products. Once I get out from under this Trane I will never purchase another one. Shame on you Trane for letting what use to be a good product become such a piece of crap.

Date created: 2009-09-30 Name: Mike Tedeschi

"High Failure Rate"
I thought I had a bad unit, but after seeing these negative revirews - wow. What junk. Compressor went after 6 years. Replacement went after 2. 8 years and $4,000 worth of repairs.

Date created: 2009-09-11 Name: Beverly
Location: Tampa, FL

"Quality...20 years old, working good."
My trane is 20 years old and is working great, and I live in Tampa, fl, so it takes a beating...I Am going to replace both units this year only because of the sier rating (I would like to have a 16 sier rating), and the $1500 tax deduction that is being offered. I will probably sell my old unit because it is still in great working shape. By the way, I am guilty of not having it serviced every year like I should, but it still works.

Date created: 2009-09-10 Name: John

"Trane Heat Pum"
I have two trane heat pumps, 2 ton unit and a 1.5 ton unit, for 23 years and still going only problem have had is the 2 ton had to replace a switch in it after 18 years cost me $70 bucks than had a blown fuse on electrical supply bad,

Date created: 2009-09-04 Name: F. Bechtel

"Poor Reliability"
Installed 3 ton Trane twx036c100a2 heat pump in 1997 with variable speed air handler. First problem was variable speed air handler. Printed circuit card in ge motor end bell failed. Came back from a trip in late winter and house was cold. Next problem was contactor in compressor unit. Present problem is a failed compressor. Very expensive to replace. Am now in decision process of how to proceed. I will be reluctant to go with Trane a second time. Once a mistake, twice a fool.

Date created: 2009-08-27 Name: J. Fisher

"Unsatisfied 1st Time Buyer TRANE customer"
The XLi14 Trane system that was installed in April, 2006 has given nothing but problems ever since. First the a temperature control switch failed (under warrenty), then a diverier valve failed ($650.00), then the compressor fan failed ($350.00), and now the evaporator coil has a leak ($1200.00). I have spent over $2,000 in a five year period for a system which cost only $5700 to install. Seriously considering ripping the thing out and putting in another brand system that is more reliable and cost efficient.

Date created: 2009-08-20 Name: Robert D.

"RESEARCH YOUR DEALER FIRST!"
I had an XL19i installed May of 08. I had 5 other bids including 2 other trane dealers. I made the decision to go with the Trane Comfort Specialist from recommendation off the Trane website. They were the only ones to do a heat load and determined that my existing Carrier was oversized and that the ductwork installed was not size per cfm requirements of the oversized Carrier let alone the smaller properly sized trane. This dealer was 5,000 more than the second highest estimate but was the only one to do a heat load, inspect the ductwork and guarantee not only their craftsmanship for a Lifetime but they gave me a 10 year parts and Labor warranty STANDARD...They were also the only ones to give me references.. Not one or two but 20 pages of satisfied customers with phone #'S.... My house now is the most comfortable house I have ever been in and my heating bills have dropped 50%!!!!! My advice to you all is to research your dealer first. Like Steve from Advantage Heating From Selah wa told me, you can purchase the best equipment available but if it is not installed properly it is worthless... Also, look at the other manufacturers on this site and they all have the same amount of bad ratings. Read the reviews and it becomes clear that 90% of the complaints are because of poor decision of choosing a dealer no matter what brand.

<< Previous131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>