Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous12131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>

Date created: 2009-12-08 Name: Jerry

"Trane sucks"
Again, we've had trouble from day one. No response from Trane. We've spent $3000 on repairs after installation. We tell everyone we know that Trane sucks.

Date created: 2009-12-07 Name: A. Rowche

"Frustrated!"
We had a new Trane Heat Pump installed by our contractor. It was supposed to be a "state of the art". After 3 years, we had a faulty compressor. It's the dead of winter and we've already gone over a week and it's still not fixed ("part hasn't come in yet."). We have emergency heat but I'm afraid of what our bill will look like if we use it often. We have 2 babies in the house. This is very frustrating! We have a warranty on parts but not labor. The repairman estimates $56/hour for at least 4 hours of work. Argh! I see I am not the only one who is experiencing difficulties with this manufacturer! Maybe Trane should re-evaluate their products if they want to stay in business.

Date created: 2009-12-04 Name: Fred

"Old= good New=bad"
Old = good, New = bad. That is what I am mainly reading here on heat pumps whether they are made by Trane or anyone else. I am not an hvac tech, just a user with a rudimentary knowedge of home equipment/appliances. Whether the reliability is down to the crappy Chinese parts most equipment uses now (Btw the same thing is happening with refridgerators with Chinese made compressors and motherboards)or maybe the new enviro friendly regulations- different coolents etc. There is a smaller Trane unit installed on my condo, it has been serviced for routine stuff maybe 4 times in 20 years, other than that totally trouble free. Runs noisy sometimes and could be more efficent though- but hey it works!

Date created: 2009-11-16 Name: T. Ford

"T Ford"
3 Ton xr12 Trane. This unit is a lemon and has not proved to be efficient for us. 6 months; A sensor went out that caused the system to take longer to get to the new adaptive thermostat setting. We did not realize until mid winter that the system was switching to strip heat. Three weeks later problem was repaired. 12 months; Easy start component went out causing lights to dim and blink when the compressor tried to kick on. Strip heat was again utilized until problem was repaired. 18 months; Compressor is out. Strip heat is being utilized until repairs can be made. It took two weeks for compressor to come in. The compressor is in but the repair has not fit into schedule with no concrete date in site. We have experienced 2-3 times heating costs for half of the life of the unit.

Date created: 2009-11-14 Name: T.M. Nile

"Pleased with Trane"
Purchased a Trane xl1400 split system heat pump in Oct. 1996. Serviced 2x a year, condenser removed and cleaned once in 13 years. Parts replaced in 13 years: Compressor start capacitor, compressor contactor. Last week we learned the condenser had a refrigerant leak. We were quoted $1900 to replace it. Figuring it might be good money after bad, we opted to replace the system w/ an XL15i. Read the remarks of the HVAC contractor regarding system problems following installation. I have to agree. The contractor we chose for the XL 1400 and the XL15i operates a separate installation division; it's all they do. And I have to say they do their job well, which is why I did not hesitate to buy from them again.

Date created: 2009-10-28 Name: Beverly

"Trane X1000 10 seer"
We had trouble from day 1. This heat pump had to be repaired once every year. We are finally going to replace it. Trane has an awful warranty on parts and we had not warranty on labor. Never again will I buy a Trane!!!

Date created: 2009-10-26 Name: Joe Schmitt

"XL14i heat pump FAILED"
Just barely 4 years old and looking at a $1000 labor repair bill for 3 failed components. After all I paid for the parts warranty. I shiver at what that would have cost. The service guy said if I had not caught this in time the compressor would have went too and this $5,700 unit would be shot. When I contacted trane the email response was that inferior parts are used in their products and it is unfortunate. It appears they are not too concerned about quality products or repeat customers. I will share my experience with friends and family looking to upgrade/replace their systems now or in the future. a bad experience is never forgotten.

Date created: 2009-10-24 Name: J. Groshel

"XL1800"
Had planned on installing a full GeoThermal system but the dealer and I agreed that an xl1800 was the next best route to go. Install and initial operations were fine but it took a while to figure out how to get the best from the unit (ie. night time temps settings and morning ramp ups) . In the second year the defrost cycles were causing the house to get cool and there was a excessive amount of AUX heat running. Dealer identified a bad Defrost Board and a problem with the Trane thermostat. Board replaced under warranty...thermostat cost me $300. About six years into ownership the house again started getting cold when the unit was in defrost. One heat strip was found bad and was replaced under warranty. After eight years another defrost board bad (on my nickle this time ...$300+). The final thing was that at 10 years a broken tree limb hit the outdoor unit and smashed three plastic grills and heavily dented the lid on the outdoor unit. Unit operated fine... My regular dealer and two more in the area tried to get replacement parts with no luck. I tried myself going through dealers outside the state (Pa, N.C. and Ga.) with still no luck. Calls to Trane were barely acknowledged. Finally going through Trane factory and independent distributors I realized that if the distributors didn't stock them originally the parts don't exist. Trane factory does not support units more than 10 years old. All the dealers & distributors (about 10 parties in all) were very nice and tried to help but I was out of luck. In the end I fabricated parts from aluminum and what was left of my broken plastic parts. When the unit worked it worked great and I had very reasonable heating bills but too many problems in the first eight years that makes me wonder what to expect down the road. With this top of the line heatpump I expected 20 relatively trouble free years of service. I have a second house that will be needing a new heatpump and I really have to think twice before selecting Trane again.

Date created: 2009-10-22 Name: F. Marsh

"Make sure you have a good warranty"
I have a Trane 4-ton Weathertron Heat Pump split system that was installed by a local Heat and Air company. They gave me a 10-year parts and labor warranty. Believe me that warranty was like gold because otherwise without parts and labor being covered, I would have spent a considerably amount of money (I estimate over $2000) in repairs. If all I had was a parts warranty, I would have spent (I estimate) around $1000 for labor to install the parts and recharge the system. 2001 - System installed but the head installer didn't know that he had a valve closed at the outside unit and couldn't figure out why the system wasn't working correctly. Later that day, another tech came over and opened the valve and the system started working. 2001 - After complaining about deficiencies in the installation, the contractor sent another crew out and they worked all day to correct the shoddy installation left by the first crew. 2002 - 2004 - No Problems 2005 - 2007 - 6 service calls for: recharge the system twice, Replaced the defrost control circuit board and ambient sensor, replaced the expansion valve, left wire off during the repair and system fail to operate correctly - replaced wire to fix, replace the indoor evaporator unit (would have cost me $$$$ without warranty). 2008 - 2009 - no problems

Date created: 2009-10-20 Name: Candy Naff

"Ms."
I still own the Trane. February 2009 my unit wasn't heating. It was 65 in my house. Called dealer and he said it would be late before he could come by the house. I set thermostat on emergency heat and after the house warmed up I set thermostat on regular setting and it did fine. In June 2009, the unit quit cooling. Coil had to be replaced. Labor cost me $394. I had a Rheem unit for over 20 yrs. and never had a bit of trouble. Since I have purchased this unit I have heard nothing positive about Trane products. Once I get out from under this Trane I will never purchase another one. Shame on you Trane for letting what use to be a good product become such a piece of crap.

<< Previous12131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>