Consumer Reviews of TRANE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TRANE heat pumps

<< Previous12131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>

Date created: 2009-10-24 Name: J. Groshel

"XL1800"
Had planned on installing a full GeoThermal system but the dealer and I agreed that an xl1800 was the next best route to go. Install and initial operations were fine but it took a while to figure out how to get the best from the unit (ie. night time temps settings and morning ramp ups) . In the second year the defrost cycles were causing the house to get cool and there was a excessive amount of AUX heat running. Dealer identified a bad Defrost Board and a problem with the Trane thermostat. Board replaced under warranty...thermostat cost me $300. About six years into ownership the house again started getting cold when the unit was in defrost. One heat strip was found bad and was replaced under warranty. After eight years another defrost board bad (on my nickle this time ...$300+). The final thing was that at 10 years a broken tree limb hit the outdoor unit and smashed three plastic grills and heavily dented the lid on the outdoor unit. Unit operated fine... My regular dealer and two more in the area tried to get replacement parts with no luck. I tried myself going through dealers outside the state (Pa, N.C. and Ga.) with still no luck. Calls to Trane were barely acknowledged. Finally going through Trane factory and independent distributors I realized that if the distributors didn't stock them originally the parts don't exist. Trane factory does not support units more than 10 years old. All the dealers & distributors (about 10 parties in all) were very nice and tried to help but I was out of luck. In the end I fabricated parts from aluminum and what was left of my broken plastic parts. When the unit worked it worked great and I had very reasonable heating bills but too many problems in the first eight years that makes me wonder what to expect down the road. With this top of the line heatpump I expected 20 relatively trouble free years of service. I have a second house that will be needing a new heatpump and I really have to think twice before selecting Trane again.

Date created: 2009-10-22 Name: F. Marsh

"Make sure you have a good warranty"
I have a Trane 4-ton Weathertron Heat Pump split system that was installed by a local Heat and Air company. They gave me a 10-year parts and labor warranty. Believe me that warranty was like gold because otherwise without parts and labor being covered, I would have spent a considerably amount of money (I estimate over $2000) in repairs. If all I had was a parts warranty, I would have spent (I estimate) around $1000 for labor to install the parts and recharge the system. 2001 - System installed but the head installer didn't know that he had a valve closed at the outside unit and couldn't figure out why the system wasn't working correctly. Later that day, another tech came over and opened the valve and the system started working. 2001 - After complaining about deficiencies in the installation, the contractor sent another crew out and they worked all day to correct the shoddy installation left by the first crew. 2002 - 2004 - No Problems 2005 - 2007 - 6 service calls for: recharge the system twice, Replaced the defrost control circuit board and ambient sensor, replaced the expansion valve, left wire off during the repair and system fail to operate correctly - replaced wire to fix, replace the indoor evaporator unit (would have cost me $$$$ without warranty). 2008 - 2009 - no problems

Date created: 2009-10-20 Name: Candy Naff

"Ms."
I still own the Trane. February 2009 my unit wasn't heating. It was 65 in my house. Called dealer and he said it would be late before he could come by the house. I set thermostat on emergency heat and after the house warmed up I set thermostat on regular setting and it did fine. In June 2009, the unit quit cooling. Coil had to be replaced. Labor cost me $394. I had a Rheem unit for over 20 yrs. and never had a bit of trouble. Since I have purchased this unit I have heard nothing positive about Trane products. Once I get out from under this Trane I will never purchase another one. Shame on you Trane for letting what use to be a good product become such a piece of crap.

Date created: 2009-10-07 Name: R Davis

"Bob"
3 year old 16xi with zonal system and clean effects air filter($22,000). Salesman told us this was the "state of the art" in comfort and efficency. Our heating bills have tripled from our last house that had a $5000 rheem system. We have had the installers techs out 10 times in the last 3 years. They have replaced the computer board, the main compressor twice and the clean effects air filter once. Our heating bills are still outragous. We have just open a case with the washington state attorney generals office.

Date created: 2009-09-30 Name: Mike Tedeschi

"High Failure Rate"
I thought I had a bad unit, but after seeing these negative revirews - wow. What junk. Compressor went after 6 years. Replacement went after 2. 8 years and $4,000 worth of repairs.

Date created: 2009-09-11 Name: Beverly
Location: Tampa, FL

"Quality...20 years old, working good."
My trane is 20 years old and is working great, and I live in Tampa, fl, so it takes a beating...I Am going to replace both units this year only because of the sier rating (I would like to have a 16 sier rating), and the $1500 tax deduction that is being offered. I will probably sell my old unit because it is still in great working shape. By the way, I am guilty of not having it serviced every year like I should, but it still works.

Date created: 2009-09-10 Name: John

"Trane Heat Pum"
I have two trane heat pumps, 2 ton unit and a 1.5 ton unit, for 23 years and still going only problem have had is the 2 ton had to replace a switch in it after 18 years cost me $70 bucks than had a blown fuse on electrical supply bad,

Date created: 2009-09-07 Name: Mr Brock

"I'll Never Buy Another. It's a Cash Cow."
I started out with my Trane Heat Pumps in 1992. An xl 1200 model with a Variable Speed Air Handler. 5 Ton capacity. It came with 15kw heat strips although contractor quoted 20kw. Heat strip had to be replaced to 20's because inside house temperature would drop 5 degrees every time unit went to defrost cycle. Freeze then thaw. I replaced this unit with a XLi14 outside unit in 2007 but not before I spent $ 5,000 on repairs including 3 compressors on the xl1200. One under parts warranty but cost me $ 600 labor. Most all of the circuit boards had been replaced in the old one at one time or the other. Also three blower wheels. Now the motor in the air handler went out. They want $ 2,500 to replace it since it's no longer available. Dealers want almost $ 5,000 for a new variable speed air handler. The XLi14 does not cool nearly as well as the xl1200. I have 2150 sf of heated area and the 5 ton seems to be maxed out. I've had it serviced regularly and all have checked ok. So far I've spent about $ 20,000 on it including the purchase price. My neighbors all have "builder's model" type units of various manufacturers and none have experienced the trouble I've had and most of their unit haven't been replaced yet nor have they spent anywhere close to as much on repairs as I have. Trane parts are much more expensive then any I've ever bought for other units. Their dealers seems to charge more for their labor too. Trane compressors are proprietary and one would cost a fortune to replace. It's almost impossible to get through to Trane and they will not help you out with any problem you have. I've never been able to get any reply from them. Once the Dealer sells you the unit they don't know you around here. Trane's advertisements are just a bunch of Hype. I say look at other manufacturers units before you consider a Trane. I've owned many other units from other manufacturers and all gave better service than my Tranes. Do your research before you buy, very carefully, including who sells and installs it for you. Some of the local dealers here have in house telemarketers who only want to sell but not service.

Date created: 2009-09-04 Name: F. Bechtel

"Poor Reliability"
Installed 3 ton Trane twx036c100a2 heat pump in 1997 with variable speed air handler. First problem was variable speed air handler. Printed circuit card in ge motor end bell failed. Came back from a trip in late winter and house was cold. Next problem was contactor in compressor unit. Present problem is a failed compressor. Very expensive to replace. Am now in decision process of how to proceed. I will be reluctant to go with Trane a second time. Once a mistake, twice a fool.

Date created: 2009-08-27 Name: J. Fisher

"Unsatisfied 1st Time Buyer TRANE customer"
The XLi14 Trane system that was installed in April, 2006 has given nothing but problems ever since. First the a temperature control switch failed (under warrenty), then a diverier valve failed ($650.00), then the compressor fan failed ($350.00), and now the evaporator coil has a leak ($1200.00). I have spent over $2,000 in a five year period for a system which cost only $5700 to install. Seriously considering ripping the thing out and putting in another brand system that is more reliable and cost efficient.

<< Previous12131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>